Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #1

Vintage Beaver Contessa 36' yes or no

Hello All - We have come across a 1992 Beaver Contessa 36, one owner, always covered, 55,000 miles, mint condition. Power is Cat 3116 250hp paired with Allison 4-speed. Anyone with experience with this setup? What's the good and bad? Is it underpowered? Is the tranny inadequate? We tow a 2003 Wrangler. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Carol and Linda
RVGal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
No.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #3

We bought a 1988 Beaver 3 yrs ago from its second owner. It has a Detroit Diesel w/ the 4 speed Allison. To date, we have had no issues with the engine and drivetrain. If I had my way, I would prefer a 6 speed but considering what we paid for it, we could not match the quality of this coach. It is on a Gillig chassis. We have updated some things but they have all been relatively minor and things you would expect will need attention. As I am writing this, it is in the shop being serviced and having new tires installed. We look at it in the same way you would look at a house that needs periodic maintenance.

This question often comes up on this forum regarding the age of a motorhome and what issues you might encounter as a result. People are wary of something old as a potential moneypit. But if you read enough posts you will find numerous problems with rvs in general, age notwithstanding. I would rather have a quality built vehicle that is older than something newer of lesser quality. It's a choice you have to make for yourself based on your needs and budget.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #4

'92 Beaver Contessa

Thanks for the replies. The age doesn't bother me so much as the underpowered diesel paired with a 4-speed transmission. Plus, I understand the Gillig chassis does not have IFS so the turning radius is greater than the ubiquitous Freightliner of late '90s and up.I think we might regret that older combo down the road, so we are going to pass on what otherwise is a beautiful older coach. Looking now for a 1998-2000 National Tradewinds 7370 with walnut interior (and Linda wants a side-by-side fridge - she's sick and tired of our small little Dometic in our old 1991 Lazy Daze C). Thanks again, folks.
Carol (and Linda)
RVGal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver, vintage