Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #1

I recently aquired my '71 Bethany Citation 86 and was wondering if anyone had updated the lift system on these? We are a "vertically challenged" family and putting this thing up gets kinda hairy at times!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #2

I recently aquired my '71 Bethany Citation 86 and was wondering if anyone had updated the lift system on these? We are a "vertically challenged" family and putting this thing up gets kinda hairy at times!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #3

My whole camper is a fix it LOL. Today I got some free cabinets and carpet for the popup from a co-worker who is remodeling. I wired a new electical plug onto what remained of the wires witout a hitch, until I fired up the TV. When I first hooked everything up, it all worked great! As soon as I started to pull out and head home, the lights did whatever they wanted! Some side marker lights came on half way home, all lights went out when I pressed the brakes and other gremlins. I guess I'll have to rewire all the lights now too! We got home on just the running lights and turn signals with no problems, re-wires no prob! I have everything I need already for this one. So we are going to set it up so I can get started tearing out all the old cabinets and carpet but something was not quite right. The track on one side had pulled away from the screws that were holding it on. Apparently there were just screws through the interior (wood) panel and into the track. I'm going to put a metal strip on the inside so that they can't pull through and use bolts and nuts. The bedframes are cracking too, so I'll have to rebuild them as well. Anyone had experience with any of this and/or have any suggestions?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #4

Well, here is my latest update. I found the problem with the wiring. Someone had re-wired the back lights and used a white wire for the left turn signal. For some reason they also used the white wire as a ground. I simply had to "un-ground" the wire and now everything works great! I added real oak flooring, modified some kitchen cabinets , and added a sink all at no cost due to different people donating these items to my cause. I also rebuilt both slide out beds, added a fridge, recovered the beds and benches, and put up different curtains. Special thanks to Danny and Teresa for the flooring, Shawn for the cabinets, Darrel for the sink, and my wife for assisting and decorating. The sink cabinets top is removable for lowering the top and is held on with spring clamps when in use. Thanks to everyone for there help and advice! Here is a link to the before and after comparison.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f1.../Camper/BA.jpg
Old 07-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now thats a super job just a little time and effort and you have a gem. The floor looks like its in your house, shine and all.
Congratulations on your prize now when you get that used MH someday your set to go.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:43 AM   #6

Thanks super agent man!