Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Waste System Plumbing

My good friend has an early 80's Foretravel. King of the road in its day. But like anything mechanical over 30 years old, some systems need repairing/replacing.

In looking at the waster water plumbing and fittings, we've decided to replace the system from the tanks out. It will require a few feet of 3" pipe, some type of Y connector, a couple gate valves and flanges etc.

Given some of the cool projects I've seen folks complete and post here on the vintage forum, I thought this would be the best place to ask.

So, any suggestions for some source for waste water RV parts? I really hate to go down to Camping World, and I figure some one here might have had some good experiences with a particular source.

I have found a few sites online, but would like to get some recommendations rather than just luck of the draw.

Thanks

toni
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 03:59 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've ordered a few from PPL out of Houston Tx before. I got mine from a Trailer/MH sales place out of Hugo Minn. Coates Is the name
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #3

I'd assume Foretravels are like most RVs that use standard ABS (black) for the actual piping. Only special fittings are the valves, tank connections, and hose fitting.

ABS pipe isn't sold in all states (it's very limited here in Michigan for example). Depends on what the state and local codes are.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
thanks. When you look at the current system, there are some bizarre looking valves which we'll replace with current style. The old ones have failed..so you get a shower when you pull the cap. (Yuck especially on the black water side). I'll see what we can find.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #5

Those are generally all pretty standard fittings, or maybe I should say you'll be rebuilding using all standard fittings. Most are available reasonably at any decent sized RV dealer - along with the pipe.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:46 AM   #6

The gate valves are likely only issue and likely valxxx can't remember exact name as to early but others will.

Unless pipe is broken do not mess with that as that coach was top line and likely designed. To match.

Gate valve is standard off the shelf item.

You can add a test cap by getting a new end cap and placing a small ball valve to allow a test to see if leaking or to drain the chamber when you forget to close the gate.

Just drill hole in cap and glue in adaptor or thread it for screw in one.

Can supply photo if needed.

Again just fix it as valves are about $15.00 or so and standard item.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #7

I was in Houston when I replaced my cracked grey water tank. After checking online generic tank prices I went ahead, and for nearly the same price, had an outfit custom fabricate a tank for me to my specifications based on my old tank. I imagine there are outfits near where you’re at that can build a tank for you.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing