Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:26 PM   #1

Angry Weird vibration 1983 P30

Hey everyone, new to this forum but not RVs/mechanical things.

Got an odd issue with my 1983 Honey Class A (P30 Chassis with the 454). Just got back from taking it on a cross country trip from Virginia to Washington - now that I am back in VA, I've noticed a vibration that's been slowly getting worse.

Basically the entire suspension was gone through before I left on the trip, new shocks front/rear, new wheel bearings, any loose joints replaced, new air bags front/rear, new steering box, and all new Bridgestone tires, and balancing beads as well. On the trip it drove great, no previous issues or vibrations at all.

The vibration occurs between 45-55 MPH, and it feels like its coming from the rear, but I'm not entirely sure. It almost feels like every bump in the road is "amplified", if the road is smooth there is almost no vibrations at all, but when I hit a bump, it vibrates very noticably for a second or so afterwards. Dissipates kinda like ringing a bell if that makes any sense, haha. It doesn't veer to any side when this happens, and the steering wheel doesn't vibrate.

Chocked the wheels, put it in neutral, and got up underneath and felt for play in the u-joints, nothing there, all tight, they are greasable joints as well. All weights are still on the driveshaft as far as I can tell.

So, could this be those balancing beads? After reading a bit I regret putting them in, seems they are unreliable. Or is it something like leaf spring bushings or driveshaft out of balance?

Thanks!
julian90090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #2

If you didn't bottom out on the drive shaft, doubt that's the problem.
I'm not AT ALL knowledgeable about beads for tire balance but, I've also
not heard anything GOOD about them either.
The only other rotating mass would be the pinion shaft bearings or axle bearings.
Good luck.
mickeybitsko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #3

When is last time you changed diff oil and inspected it...? Unrelated.. when is last time you serviced auto part system if you have one, ? Brake shoes on a/p could hang up and cause vibration..
Also when last time you changed brake, trans oil? I know you just changed p/s oil.. that's the cheapest I know..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 09-22-2021, 07:03 PM   #4

Check the carrier bearing, hangs down and is between the 2 sections of drive shaft. It's mounted in rubber and that wears/ages out.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:09 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. I did change the rear diff oil before leaving, the old oil was actually still pretty clean, which was a good sign to me. Also changed trans fluid & brake fluid, did a complete flush.

I got up under the RV last night and pulled on the driveshaft near the carrier bearing as hard as I could, no movement. It looks like its in good shape at a glance.

Lastly, I jacked up the rear axle, and started the engine, put it in drive, and took it up to 30MPH (from what I understand thats 60MPH on one rear wheel). I felt a similar vibration, not as pronounced, but noticeable. So definitely seems like its coming from the rear. How much play should there be in the rear wheel bearings? Axle is a full floater I think. I did feel a little play.

Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
More than likely drive line issues. Check your U-joints and carrier bearing.

Ken
Old 09-23-2021, 11:03 AM   #7

You felt play with wheels and brakes still on? If so that doesn't sound good.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:53 AM   #8

For some reason tire issues tend to show up right about 50 mph, balance problems in particular.
New tires aren't always perfect and neither are the people who balance and install them. My focus would be on the tires and wheels. Checking to see how tight the lug nuts are would rocket right off the top of my list.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #9

Wheel bearings, tires as in broken belts etc, wheels as in bent and shocks. Not necessarily in that order. Rear wheel bearings should have no play at all.
Good luck.
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:35 AM   #10

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm taking it to a tire shop this week. Took it in for a state inspection on Saturday and the mechanic agreed with me that its probably the tires or a bent rim. Will keep this thread updated on what I find.

As for the play, I followed the service manual and adjusted the rear wheel bearings to 0.001" end play (measured with dial indicator). Unfortunately it did nothing for the vibration though

Tags
p30, vibration