Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicPilot View Post
I don't quite understand. In the study that you recommended, the Fram filter got an "A" on its construction, and nothing was mentioned about restricted flow or a weak bypass.... Do you have a reference where we can all read about these "facts" or are they just your opinions?
Read: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html#fram

Also others out there, such as:

Tech Review: The Long Waited FRAM OIL FILTER REVIEW! - Automotive Social | DSLReports Forums

Oil filter comparisons

OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - Fram

Oil Filters

Also.. Purolater now has commercials showing this very thing ;

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Oh.. BTW, Thanks to whomever moved this to its own thread... Was goona suggest it, but was already done
Old 03-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
I've been running the Gold Pure On Purolator Filters on my Dodge Trucks (All of them old school engines) for a number of years. I looked at the regular Fram filters, but the filter wasn't very far up on the quality scale compared to the purolator base filter.

For the Ford taurus, I just get the Motorcraft filters since they carry them at Walmart. I get the Purolator stuff over at Bi-mart.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
I used to have a Ford 4.6L ...if I used a Fram filter the engine would knock on hard acceleration ...I quit using them, no more knocking engine.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #19

Amen to that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Castrol GTX and either Wix or Hastings filters. Tests have shown these filters to be better than average.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #20

I like to run heavier oil in the summer(15/40 or 20/50) seems to stay 'thicker' even with the extreme summer heat.
nepagearjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftv37 View Post
Napa Gold made by Wix
Absolutely, nothing else. On my Camaro, and on my Knight, and everything else I own, have owned, will own, or might own.

As for oil, I pretty much think they are all the same. My vehicles that see a lot of miles per year get synthetic. The Knight gets rotella of course. Oddly, the camaro, which does not see a lot of annual miles, gets whatever quality dino oil is on sale.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #22

Stay away from fram we build our own race engines an almost lost one to a fram filter we lost oil pressure drained oil it was ok cut oil filter apart and it was a giant spit ball inside it totally collapsed we do not use a bypass in the oil filter circuit we only use wix filters now napa gold are made by wix we also use rotella 15-40 oil hope this helps our engines are solid rollers i wont even put a fram on my lawn tractor!!!
85antique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Everytime I do a search on Wix, I keep coming up with complaints about them "being leaky", any comments from the Wix crowd?
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #24

Never had a leak with a wix we have 80-90# of oil pressure cold in the race car
85antique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
The comparison atricle was an eye opener!! I have used Fram filters for years, but no more!! Years ago my Dad was friends with a fellow who owned a machine shop that did a lot of engine rebuilds and race car work. During a discussion about oil filters he show Dad the oil dipstick in has personal automobile. The oil was clean as could be. He said the car had over 100k miles on it but had never had the oil changed. Only the filter every 1000 miles since new. His contention was oil didn't wear out, only got dirty. Well that was then and this is now! I don't beleive that would work today with all the additives that burn away in time. I always thought it was interesting though!
BigJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
He's correct - oil doesnt wear.. but, as you thought, the added wear/detergent does. Even so, you should not keep oil in he oil for longer tan around 12 months as it does absorb moisture and acids that corrode your engine.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just changed my oil and filter the other day. Thanks to info in this thread I chose a Mobil One oil filter. $8.99 at the big W. Not bad compared to some of the prices for cheaper filters.
Kinda bummed they are discontinuing Mobil one filters there (maybe only this store?) The whole thing including 6 qts synthetic oil was only $45

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 AM   #28

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I use NAPA Silver filters (made by Wix) and Penzoil oil.

Tags
gas