Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #2787

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Maybe that gauge is for engine oil temp?
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #2788

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have engine temperature so why would it be different from engine oil temperature?
The temp on it runs about 185, it will go up a bit when climbing.

The oil temp gauge just has a temp deal on it, a straight line with little hash marks on it
The other oil gauge has a picture of a little deal that kind of looks like an aladdins lamp with a temperature line with the little hash marks in the middle of it. Oil pan temperature gauge, just guessing.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #2789

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
I have engine temperature so why would it be different from engine oil temperature?
The temp on it runs about 185, it will go up a bit when climbing.

The oil temp gauge just has a temp deal on it, a straight line with little hash marks on it
The other oil gauge has a picture of a little deal that kind of looks like an aladdins lamp with a temperature line with the little hash marks in the middle of it. Oil pan temperature gauge, just guessing.
Peterbilts all had eng. oil temp gauges. Oil usually ran 10-20 degrees warmer than coolant. But then the truckers like their gauges! It is just a guess om my part.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #2790

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pat glad you made it there safely with all the wind,rain,rain,wind
Snufy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #2791

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
On some days of this trip I think I added some arm muscles, never drove in such weather and hope I don't again.

Thankfully the last couple of days weren't so bad and the last day was great, I sure could have cut days off that trip.

Today after running around I cleaned out some bays. It was really cold and I didn't get a chance before leaving. I managed to get the ones that go all the way through cleaned and straightened before leaving.

Today I removed my hoses and wiped out the water compartment and stowed items back neatly. Then the sewer compartment, cleaned it with lavender cleaner and some oxiclean stuff. Next was the electric bay, unplugged pulled cord out, swept it out and recoiled that heavy cord. I had put all these things back in rain and mud, I did wipe them off but not good enough.

The bay we keep extra oil, antifreeze, tranny fluid, and hydraulic fluid, plus extra window cleaner was dirty. Always prepared. Hubby had a bottle of the orange hand cleaning goop and it froze and busted, what a mess. Took my jack pads out and washed them, had dirt embedded, took out the flares, jumper cables, air hose for compressor to air tires if needed, rags, for oil and tranny checking. The tool box I just scooted to the other side after cleaning the bottom, to heavy to get out. So all went back in neatly and much cleaner and more organized.

I checked the jack bases, I had my system return come on a couple of times for jacks on the trip out. I found one of the feet had some rocks on top, that was the problem. That one foot had quite a few big rocks on it. I found out long ago that will cause the light to come on. Not sure I got them all, but will. I need to use the jack plastic pads anytime its very wet, have had this happen before if the pads sink down and they pick up rocks. You can use the awning rods using the loop end to get them off and I used the other end to scoot the plastic pads under the jacks and retrieve them.

I am moving to another campground, much less expensive and nicer site, also they have a free RV and car wash!! Here they only had one site available for 5 days and stayed here before so took it. Poor location not even room to put my chairs out, so we are moving Thursday evening after going to dentist. We will likely leave for Vegas Monday if the weather is half way decent, I believe it will be cold up there so probably won't stay as long as usual.

I had this clicking in the battery compartment for the last year or so that would drive me crazy if it did it at night as its under the bedroom. We had opened the compartment many a time to try and locate it and the minute you opened the bay door it would stop. When I was working inside the couch papering and stuff the couch part stopped working I pressed the coach button turning it back on and it went off again, but we started noting that when we pushed the button the clicking also started. I was gone one day and Tom took the little panel off, I had bought a new one several years ago, he said he tightened the connectors just a little. Well the couch light up there is back on no more clicking. All that aggravation for just a loose connector. Just the way it goes with these things.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:58 AM   #2792

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
On some days of this trip I think I added some arm muscles, never drove in such weather and hope I don't again.

Thankfully the last couple of days weren't so bad and the last day was great, I sure could have cut days off that trip.

Today after running around I cleaned out some bays. It was really cold and I didn't get a chance before leaving. I managed to get the ones that go all the way through cleaned and straightened before leaving.

Today I removed my hoses and wiped out the water compartment and stowed items back neatly. Then the sewer compartment, cleaned it with lavender cleaner and some oxiclean stuff. Next was the electric bay, unplugged pulled cord out, swept it out and recoiled that heavy cord. I had put all these things back in rain and mud, I did wipe them off but not good enough.

The bay we keep extra oil, antifreeze, tranny fluid, and hydraulic fluid, plus extra window cleaner was dirty. Always prepared. Hubby had a bottle of the orange hand cleaning goop and it froze and busted, what a mess. Took my jack pads out and washed them, had dirt embedded, took out the flares, jumper cables, air hose for compressor to air tires if needed, rags, for oil and tranny checking. The tool box I just scooted to the other side after cleaning the bottom, to heavy to get out. So all went back in neatly and much cleaner and more organized.

I checked the jack bases, I had my system return come on a couple of times for jacks on the trip out. I found one of the feet had some rocks on top, that was the problem. That one foot had quite a few big rocks on it. I found out long ago that will cause the light to come on. Not sure I got them all, but will. I need to use the jack plastic pads anytime its very wet, have had this happen before if the pads sink down and they pick up rocks. You can use the awning rods using the loop end to get them off and I used the other end to scoot the plastic pads under the jacks and retrieve them.

I am moving to another campground, much less expensive and nicer site, also they have a free RV and car wash!! Here they only had one site available for 5 days and stayed here before so took it. Poor location not even room to put my chairs out, so we are moving Thursday evening after going to dentist. We will likely leave for Vegas Monday if the weather is half way decent, I believe it will be cold up there so probably won't stay as long as usual.

I had this clicking in the battery compartment for the last year or so that would drive me crazy if it did it at night as its under the bedroom. We had opened the compartment many a time to try and locate it and the minute you opened the bay door it would stop. When I was working inside the couch papering and stuff the couch part stopped working I pressed the coach button turning it back on and it went off again, but we started noting that when we pushed the button the clicking also started. I was gone one day and Tom took the little panel off, I had bought a new one several years ago, he said he tightened the connectors just a little. Well the couch light up there is back on no more clicking. All that aggravation for just a loose connector. Just the way it goes with these things.
The grand children will never know the pleasure of finding that loose connection in their digital world. Unless of course they find a vintage RV and go old school.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #2793

I fixed some leaks that the recent Northern California rains brought to our attention. Two of the three slides needed new EternaBond applied and protruding screw heads reseated. The antenna mount needed some Dicor as well, in a place that was hard for me to reach from the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #2794

Replaced the outside shower mechanism (which had been leaking into wet bay forever) with washing machine faucets. I now have a hot water and a cold water faucet in the wet bay and no leaks.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #2795

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I need a knob, the plastic knob that holds my shower head and lets it slide up and down on an 18 inch rod in the shower has bit the dust, I doubt I ever find another. The hardware is all brass so really want to keep what I have. The knob is still there, just will no longer tighten and hold the shower head on the rod

Last night I took 2 electrical ties, fixed one to hold up the head and the other to loop through so it won't fall and have it in place. I trimmed them, I use those ties a lot. You can still remove the head and use it as a hand held. Not what I want but where in the world will I find such a plastic knob? I'm thinking of taking a pic and sending it to Colaws and the other one and see if they might have one. There are little things like that I would like to find, going to take a trip out there one day.

My door latch is also not returning like it should, lubricated it but likely has a weak spring inside, not going to take it apart as I can push it up and don't want to get it inoperable. Will let Tom deal with that. I imagine used may just be as fatigued unless the same is still produced, I know a lot of the latches in here I can still buy and have.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #2796

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I figured with all the rain I would have water in bays, leaks, etc but I didn't, made me pretty happy.

But, I check my dryer vent hose for lint every once in awhile, I stuck my hand in and there was a kind of a jag in the hose that made kind of a dish in there and it had water in it. Yep water! So I got a towel and stuck it in, wasn't far down and soaked it up. Sure wouldn't have done my dryer good, I don't think to have that water get in it even though its a combo. Never had that happen before.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:18 PM   #2797

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Got the tape off the awning, nothing torn and got the 4 inches or so of awning fabric rolled back up. But the top is not setting back as close as it should, it appears that the aluminum cover that surrounds it must be bent a bit somewhere. We put straps at the tops of the arms and I'm putting another set down a bit lower. The bottom is setting good. Another fix for dear old Tom, but good thing we unrolled it, let the water drain off, it would have been frozen on there for the winter.

It was 38 this morning, brutal out there. Tom was afraid for me to come home the northern route, he is afraid the bays might freeze and valves break. It has not gotten lower then 48 in the bays as I keep a thermometer down there, but he is likely right so I will go back nearly the same way I came. He said how do you know what the temp will be if it gets down to 15 or something, well ok. As it is plan to leave Friday morning. Good trip but time to go home.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #2798

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I was a good trip, not so good weather but oh well, still enjoyed the scenery and just getting out and about.

I had no mechanical issues, got the awning unfurled and rolled back up
and the straps on, did fine going home. Tom will have to look at the cover and see if its slightly bent.

I got 9.2 mpg on about 1000 miles of it, should have checked it all but didn't. That's what we got on the last trip and I ran the genny from 12 to 18 hours of that.

Hubby got it winterized today. I stopped and bought 8 containers of the same color, going to unload all liquids, cleaning products, canned goods, etc. and put in them so they are ready for next time and I'm not wondering what I have or not. Also washing linens and packing them so mice have nowhere to make a nest. I usually end up with stuff frozen I have to throw away or wonder what I have. This way it will be ready to go again and I'm not having to wash everything again before putting the stuff back in. Trying to organize a bit better.

Going to get Stanley Steemer at Terre Haute to clean the ceiling next summer, to wet and cold out there. Tom, said in the spring when we clean, time to look the roof over, been quite a few years since we put the rubber coating on it, might need touched up.

Was very happy with the performance of the old girl. Next year to Florida. Maybe a few more trips.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #2799

Trip report

Glad everything went well on your trip. Seems like every time we go camping we end up with something to repair. If it isn,t the RV it is something in the house. DH had to fix three small things in our house this week. Tomorrow I go for my Preop blood work ect. This time I know I will pass my physical as the circumstances are different. Don't you hate that when your DR. doesn'r listen to you and it causes you to have to wait another three months for surgery!!
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #2800

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I don't know on surgery, only had a hysterectomy eons ago and an ERCP scope for my pancrease. I'm lucky, no broken bones ever and am 70.
Aches and pains at times, and not so good feet and some back issues, but
nothing life threatening.

Just happy not to have had many illnesses others have had, don't know
how they bear some of them. Hope it goes well for you.