Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2018, 06:15 AM   #4159

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Wow Curtis,

Sure glad to hear she is ok from that. Wow! Prayers going out to them. Seems some people just keep getting hit and it is so hard when they are really nice people too.
That's the truth!
I've actually been surround by pain and suffering this month.
13 days ago I lost one of my good friends and neighbors on a plane crash.
He was doing his 2nd flight in his freshly rebuilt 1936 Rose Parakeet when the plane nosedived from 250 ft. altitude into the ground on his approach to the runway for a landing. We aren't sure he had a heart attack (86yo), a mechanical issue or wind shear! But I do know that Don was an experienced pilot with many hours in antique airplanes. He was in great health and mind for 86. Exercised everyday and his mind was still sharp.

I had helped a little with the rebuild of the plane and know for a fact that it was mechanically perfect and no shortcuts taken in its build. He has done many antique plane rebuilds and was always insistent that they all be built with the best materials and equipment.

Melissa's Orthoscopy! Nothing deadly found! Thank GOD!

Then my buddies wife's Wreck. I have been given permission to show you guys a picture of the truck. I got it delivery yesterday morning and she actually came out of the house to hug me. She has a swollen left side of her face, bruised and lots of little glass cuts. But able to stand up and walk and talk a little. I felt so much better after getting to visit with her. Had to be GODs intervention that their daughter decided to go visit Grandmas next door rather than run shopping with Momma that trip.

With any luck I can roll into August without more disasters. But we are still under a burn ban and my neighbor is having a new shop welded up as I speak. And we are upwind less than 200 feet of the build. I have a water sprayer mounted on my yard truck ready to put out any grass fires if they get going. Nervous about it because I have 2 - 250 gallon propane tanks at potential risk. Both nearly full!

Sorry for the long read, but it's been a long month already with lots to share.

Here's the rolled truck on my trailer at my house! The roof rack that WAS on top of the Land Rover is tied to the back of my Pickup bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180723_153253[1].jpg
Views:	57
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	212316   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180723_153209[1].jpg
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	212317  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2018, 04:18 PM   #4160

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The new exhaust manifold had bolts that where too long. Drove 1100 miles with semi open header. Went to an exhaust shop and got some new studs and they are the correct length and now I may be able to hear DW.
Had not realized before I left as I ran it for a minute but as soon as I moved the MH the pipe slid down.
Also had a new front AC unit installed at Red Tail Campground in Medora, ND. The campground also does RV repairs. Had to finish the AC hookup as my 115 volt wire was 6” too short. We where late leaving the Campground and I was not sure when the border crossing closed. So decided I could do the electrical at home camp. Air and quiet exhaust, doesn’t get much better. Crossing into the US from Saskatchewan was a pleasant event and coming back into Canada was also pleasant.
Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:00 PM   #4161

Vintage RV Owners Club
I put new front tires on it.

local tires shops wanted $275 each for new 245-70-19.5 tires. plus install and balance ,another $65.00
so I bought 2 new 14 ply Chinese tires for $165 each ,came with 2 bags of balancing beads .
jacked the ole girl up yesterday after work and changed one. ( I have professional side clamp tire machine.)and installed it.
tonight I did the other side.
bad part is the ones I took off are still 14/32 tread left and no cracks at all. but are 12 yrs old. Previous owner had them installed in Arizona and made one trip back here to Alberta with them, they were Westlake tires? also Chinese .
I hope to drive this beast to Alaska next yr. we were going to this yr.but was asked to work again for summer.( Sandblasting and painting oil field pipe for Local Pipeline co. I make more in one month than all year as a Self employed Licenced Mechanic in my little shop the last 40 yrs.
heres the tires I took off? look like new.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	245-70-19.5 Westlake 14 ply .png
Views:	51
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	212445  
Old 07-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #4162

Vintage RV Owners Club
new frt tires

the new Chinese tires are called Long March. they don't look much better than the ones I took off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	long march frt tires tread.png
Views:	48
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	212474   Click image for larger version

Name:	long march frt tires wheel.png
Views:	43
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	212475  

Old 07-26-2018, 07:01 AM   #4163

Put on the rear cargo rack for a camping trip this weekend. In the 8 years I have owned it, this will be the first time I have taken it to a campground hookup. Have only boon docked in it.

Trying to get the fridge to cool. Is it the higher the number (1-7) the more cold it is supposed to get?

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:55 PM   #4164

Cup Holders & Rear Camera

Finished installing the larger front cup holders and rear view camera yesterday.
The original shallow cup holders were just large enough to fit a can of Coke. The new aluminum ones will fit a 7 Eleven Big Gulp.

The rear mounted camera has a 120° view w/ infrared night vision. Made my own mounting bracket ( one supplied was too small ) and had no rain shield.
Ran the camera wiring to the front TV cabinet and mounted a 903W video transmitter. This way my wife and I can monitor the images on separate iPhone or iPads.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CupFrt1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	212540   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearCam1a.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	212541  

Name:	Camera2.jpg
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	212542  
Old 07-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #4165

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
Put on the rear cargo rack for a camping trip this weekend. In the 8 years I have owned it, this will be the first time I have taken it to a campground hookup. Have only boon docked in it.

Trying to get the fridge to cool. Is it the higher the number (1-7) the more cold it is supposed to get?

This is the coolest thing I've seen all day!
BJohnsonsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:58 PM   #4166

Smile

Quote:

It seems like the setting 7 is where the coldest is at. The fridge cooled down today. It is not ice cold but I am not expecting much from a 30 year old RV fridge. Will place already cold bottled water in it. The cooler is for beer.... I I I mean Coca Cola.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #4167

Vintage RV Owners Club
so when you boondocked..didn't you use the Propane part of the fridge ? and don't leave it on 7. put back to 4. it will heat up too much. you might need it serviced if doesn't stay cool at 7.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:30 PM   #4168

Table Cup Holders

Just finished installing the can size cup holders in the dinette table.
The front cups were moved to the dinette table. After mapping out the location and cutting the holes using a router, filler wood blocks were glued into the cavity. After a few hours sitting with clamps the end result is quite nice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3a.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	212573   Click image for larger version

Name:	DinetteA.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	212574  

Name:	Table CupsA.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	212575  
Old 07-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #4169

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenvb View Post
so when you boondocked..didn't you use the Propane part of the fridge ? and don't leave it on 7. put back to 4. it will heat up too much. you might need it serviced if doesn't stay cool at 7.
I would only boondock a day or two at the most. The cooler did a good job.

Thanks for the fridge tip! I just went out to check on it. Actually, I had it on MAX and the fridge is nice and cold. Bottled water is cold to the touch etc. I put it down to 4.

If it ever breaks down, I could mabe take it out and put a dorm fridge in that slot, possibly. I don't think it would be worth hundreds of dollars to fix.

Thanks again!
Old 07-28-2018, 02:16 AM   #4170

Put a cat door in the bathroom door so cat can hit litterbox as he wishes.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:28 AM   #4171

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jack,

I saw a picture once of someone who took an area under their dining room table and made a trap door entrance to the basement compartment below. The reason was to put a ramp down for the cats to go down and access their litter box. They also had a cage door made so they could leave the outside door on the basement up and the cats could have fresh air and night viewing without disturbing them inside.

They could open the cage to clean the box from outside. It also kept a lot of the litter from being carried of kitty feet throughout the rig. When they were packing the rig they could put the cats down there and shut a door to the trap door and keep the cats contained.

It was pretty darn neat. Sat outside with the cats inside the trap compartment viewing the outside with them. Everyone safe and sound.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #4172

Quote:
I would only boondock a day or two at the most. The cooler did a good job.

Thanks for the fridge tip! I just went out to check on it. Actually, I had it on MAX and the fridge is nice and cold. Bottled water is cold to the touch etc. I put it down to 4.

If it ever breaks down, I could mabe take it out and put a dorm fridge in that slot, possibly. I don't think it would be worth hundreds of dollars to fix.

Thanks again!
A apartment refer does a good job and will run off my 1 kw inverter without too much battery drain. The 30 year old original refer started a ammonia leak last year. New and better cooling unit is about $600 for AC/DC and gas.
mrehmus is offline   Reply With Quote