Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #5461

Dirty job of the day. I have been noticing little flakes of what appeared to be sealing foam blowing from the A/C. Pulled the cover inside and the foam is in good shape. I look around and then up at the blower and see there is dust caked on the blades. Spent the next hour with a toothbrush, shop vac and a air hose removing all the crud and back blowing through the evaporator to clean out that dust. It then occurred to me there is no filter. Looking at the vent cover I can see where there once was a filter on the intakes so the PO must have removed them. Heading to hardware store next to buy a furnace filter to cut up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #5462

Monaco Owners Club
What did you do to your old RV today?

backing into the driveway I clipped the mailbox on the right wheel well. destroyed the mailbox and scratched the wheel well.

new mailbox delivered overnight and installed so now I’m heading out to patch the wheel well.

]Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	261531

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	261532
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #5463

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Dirty job of the day. I have been noticing little flakes of what appeared to be sealing foam blowing from the A/C. Pulled the cover inside and the foam is in good shape. I look around and then up at the blower and see there is dust caked on the blades. Spent the next hour with a toothbrush, shop vac and a air hose removing all the crud and back blowing through the evaporator to clean out that dust. It then occurred to me there is no filter. Looking at the vent cover I can see where there once was a filter on the intakes so the PO must have removed them. Heading to hardware store next to buy a furnace filter to cut up.

It actually got worse , I decided to drop the ceiling flange and see what the intake air side of the evaporator looked like. It wasn't pretty. After I cleaned it I cut up a fiber strand furnace filter to fit over the intake. I fabed a filter retainer from 1/8 rod, then cross drilled through the filter housing stiffeners to slip them in and hold the filters over each intake. Before and after photos of the evaporator attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	filter1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	261555   Click image for larger version

Name:	filter2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	516.8 KB
ID:	261556  

Old 09-27-2019, 03:07 PM   #5464

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
.............. After I cleaned it I cut up a fiber strand furnace filter to fit over the intake. I fabbed a filter retainer from 1/8 rod, then cross drilled through the filter housing stiffeners to slip them in and hold the filters over each intake. ....... .

Before and after of filter installation in ceiling cover. Fiber filter comes in 24 x 36 size $9 at Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	filter3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	261631   Click image for larger version

Name:	filter4.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	261632  

Old 09-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #5465

A follow up to my post #5457 and thermister replacement in my 1999 Dometic refrigerator. I installed the new adjustable thermister yesterday evening and this solved the problem. This morning freezer was 6 and fridge 35. I turned the temp down slightly and after two hours freezer was 4 and fridge 32. These results were with an empty fridge and a battery fan cube inside. Ambient temperatures were in the mid-70's overnight.

Before this I didn't have a remote thermometer so only saw the one hanging on an inside shelf and didn't notice any temperature change until my wife said the milk seemed not to be as cold as previously. At $27 delivered, I think for full-timers having a thermister replacement on hand might be a good thing. There are actually two similar products available: I used the one that replaces the thermister and fits inside the refrigerator https://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi Dinosaur Board has an adjustable gadjet that connects to the circuit board at the back of the refrigerator but this seems to require a properly functioning thermister https://www.partsfortechs.com/asapca...oducts_id=1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
I will follow your experience closely. We have a 1996 Dometic. So far doing good... but ya just never know what may happen.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #5466

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
A follow up to my post #5457 and thermister replacement in my 1999 Dometic refrigerator. I installed the new adjustable thermister yesterday evening and this solved the problem. This morning freezer was 6 and fridge 35. I turned the temp down slightly and after two hours freezer was 4 and fridge 32. These results were with an empty fridge and a battery fan cube inside. Ambient temperatures were in the mid-70's overnight.

Before this I didn't have a remote thermometer so only saw the one hanging on an inside shelf and didn't notice any temperature change until my wife said the milk seemed not to be as cold as previously. At $27 delivered, I think for full-timers having a thermister replacement on hand might be a good thing. There are actually two similar products available: I used the one that replaces the thermister and fits inside the refrigerator https://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi Dinosaur Board has an adjustable gadjet that connects to the circuit board at the back of the refrigerator but this seems to require a properly functioning thermister https://www.partsfortechs.com/asapca...oducts_id=1967
TY! - GS... I copied your post/links and placed it in my "RV Up-Grades" folder. If needed I will surely refer to your input. Again, Thanks! - Art
Old 09-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #5467

I have the hot water tank AC element installed but what controls it? Just a switch or is there a thermostat function incorporated in the wall switch? The previous owner put a rocker switch in the face of the cabinet but I haven't yet got into the original wall switch yet to check if its hooked up.

Thanks
Auggie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:35 AM   #5468

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie56 View Post
I have the hot water tank AC element installed but what controls it? Just a switch or is there a thermostat function incorporated in the wall switch? The previous owner put a rocker switch in the face of the cabinet but I haven't yet got into the original wall switch yet to check if its hooked up.

Thanks
Should be a little disc that is a temperature switch that mounts directly on the tank. Wall switch just turns power on and off. Pic for example. This photo shows a missing wire on the left disc, this was when I was fixing mine years ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-09-29_1034.png
Views:	31
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	261812  
Old 09-30-2019, 09:13 PM   #5469

good job today

good job today

I do a test of propane heating I do not use much the last time these in January leave for Florida

I take it out of place I clean the replace it does not fit

I checks all a liver again, switch ect ....

this time I remove the gas pipe which is very very badly placed , removes and passes air in ouff nasty little dust inside

problem fixed will have to use it more

good week
cicsprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #5470

Fall Cleaning

Actually this was yesterday.
We have always noticed an odor when first turning on the oven. DW cleaned it, I cleaned it but it always came back. This time I removed the unit (Magic Chef three burner). Took it outside onto a sawhorse table and started taking it apart.
Removed all the burners and valves. Soap and water, elbow greese, a sharpened paint scraper and a vacuum. Took over an hour to remove 25 years of crud. This also allowed access to clean its compartment and shove some steel wool around the gas line through the floor.

Next, removed the bottom of the cabinet under the sink (rotten). Cleaned and vacuumed the area under it. More steel wool and some spray foam. Replaced it and put peel and stick tile over the new plywood. Looks and smells much better.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #5471

I've noticed several times on posts in different threads... that "steel" wool has been used for plugging entry holes against rodent access.

Just want to mention... although that works great; if the "steel" wool get moisture on it, eventually it rusts away, In the long run negating your efforts.

Being a boater all my life [rodents love to get into boats too!] I recommend using bronze wool for plugging holes. It remains in great condition forever!

Old 10-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #5472

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And you can get the bronze wool just about anywhere. Home Depot! Walmart!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #5473

More Fall Cleaning

I removed the A/C ceiling control / plenum. What a mess! Inside was filthy.
The white carpet/like headliner was black. I tried and tried but it would not come clean. It is not black anymore but it is far from white.
25 years of dust and grime sucked under it.
With a little soap and water I used a paint brush to get the nooks and crannies of the underside. Vacuumed the area around the blower fan and the evaporator. Cleaned the filter and it is back up and running.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #5474

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGrizz View Post
I removed the A/C ceiling control / plenum. What a mess! Inside was filthy.
The white carpet/like headliner was black. I tried and tried but it would not come clean. It is not black anymore but it is far from white.
25 years of dust and grime sucked under it.
With a little soap and water I used a paint brush to get the nooks and crannies of the underside. Vacuumed the area around the blower fan and the evaporator. Cleaned the filter and it is back up and running.
I often use laundry bleach. Consistency of mix with water [or not - if used straight] as well as how long to leave on a before complete rinsing with straight water depends on fabric type, its remaining quality and surface-finish to be cleaned... as well as other per-material factors. I recommend at first going with considerably diluted liquid. Increase bleach %age as required. Also, be sure to cover any areas to which your bleach mix may splatter. Bleach loves to leave "light-color" spots on too many material types. Rugs especially. Don't ask me how I know!