RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #5615
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
I'd bet 454 TBI 7.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGrizz View Post
More info please. What engine?
Sorry for the long delay in reply. I was getting ready for a road trip and then we were traveling...

Yes it is, 1995 7.4 TBI. 44k miles. I just put 760 miles on it and gas mileage has improved on average 1 mpg. Cold starts and transition to open loop is now seamless whereas in the past there would be a stumble during the transition. Transmission shifting is smoother now at lower speeds when it would often wind out and grab at 3rd gear in city driving.

Word of advice about parts other than ACDelco. When I changed the Throttle position sensor I installed a BWD brand (borg warner) the engine ran like crap and the transmission was shifting very erratic. Where the voltage should have been around .54 closed throttle. this one was reading .38 volts I took it back and the parts guy say,s ďyeah we have had trouble with theseĒ.oHe didnít have much else to say when I asked him Why he sold it to me to begin with if he knew that. I drove 30 miles to the first place with AC Delco. Probably all of them come from the same Chinese factory but I have yet to have an issue with the AC Delco parts.
__________________

__________________
1995 Winnebago Warrior 23RC Class A
RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #5616
Senior Member
 
TwoGrizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: South Coast of Mississippi
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Overhauled TBI today. Though I have low miles on this 1995 it is approaching 25 years in age. I first noticed some surging and rough idle near the end of the last tour. The oxygen sensor was the original and had aged out so I replaced it without diagnosis and test drove. Engine was acting normal again. I also did some voltage checks on the IAC (good) and throttle position sensor which was reading higher than spec. I couldnít move the TPS enough to adjust the voltage down any farther. I went to get a new TPS and decided I might as well go through the throttle body with a good cleaning and new gaskets o rings and screens. Went well, I reset the ECM and set a new baseline idle and then ran it a awhile and drove it awhile longer. Running good and for the first time I have idle at 700-750 instead of 900 rpm.
Do you know of a video, such as youtube that could walk me through this?
How to locate and change the IAC and TPS and where to check the voltage?
All of my experience in auto repair is from the days of carbs and points and condensers.
__________________

__________________
Happy Trails Amigos
Keep on Truckin'
TwoGrizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #5617
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Seattle,WA/HB,CA./Fujieda-Japan
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGrizz View Post
Do you know of a video, such as youtube that could walk me through this?
How to locate and change the IAC and TPS and where to check the voltage?
All of my experience in auto repair is from the days of carbs and points and condensers.




The IAC and TPS are very easy to get at and replace. If you replace them I'd also replace the MAP sensor, Idle air control solenoid (if equipped) and purge valve. They also are easy to replace. If you can rebuild a carb a TBI is even easier.
__________________
1994 Southwind Storm 28ft 7.4L TBI P-30
60,976 miles and counting...as of 07/12/2019
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:52 PM   #5618
Senior Member
 
TwoGrizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: South Coast of Mississippi
Posts: 203
Thanks, UDIDWHT;
I am going to do it before our next trip.
__________________
Happy Trails Amigos
Keep on Truckin'
TwoGrizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #5619
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 815
What did you do to your old RV today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGrizz View Post
Thanks, UDIDWHT;

I am going to do it before our next trip.


That was good info you got. The parts are cheap enough that you can replace nearly all the sensors for a couple or 3 hundred bucks if you don,t want to fuss around with a multimeter. EGR and the ECM are the two that get expensive.
You donít necessarily need to change it but the Temp sensor for the ECM is one of the primary sensor inputs for both the engine and transmission. I carry a spare temp sensor. if it fails you can get stranded.


The video linked is very good but the one Iím linking is imo more comprehensive especially if you are not familiar with TBI. and it shows how to set base idle which I recently found out is very important. Just ignore the part where he pulses the injectors in used carb cleaner. A speck of grit inside an injector can kill it.

Two things you won,t see in most videos and none of the kit instruction sheets. The kits and most videos are all geared toward or feature the small block engines. Most of the parts are common but a few are not. The ďYĒ gasket is not a gasket at all, it is a spacer . The one on your 454 is twice as thick as the small block ,you will want to reuse your old one. The base gaskets in the kit will be incorrect, instead you need Felpro #60954. In case you donít already know, don,t immerse the IAC or TPS in carburetor cleaner it can destroy them. BTW, If your engine is a 1994 or 1995 454 TBI it will have 30 psi regulator and a very stiff spring, Be careful the parts don,t launch like rocket when you disassemble it. use the 2 long screws in the kit to help you release the spring pressure

https://youtu.be/XfQ5-a3sRKk
__________________
1995 Winnebago Warrior 23RC Class A
RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #5620
Senior Member
 
TwoGrizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: South Coast of Mississippi
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
That was good info you got. The parts are cheap enough that you can replace nearly all the sensors for a couple or 3 hundred bucks if you don,t want to fuss around with a multimeter. EGR and the ECM are the two that get expensive.
You donít necessarily need to change it but the Temp sensor for the ECM is one of the primary sensor inputs for both the engine and transmission. I carry a spare temp sensor. if it fails you can get stranded.


The video linked is very good but the one Iím linking is imo more comprehensive especially if you are not familiar with TBI. and it shows how to set base idle which I recently found out is very important. Just ignore the part where he pulses the injectors in used carb cleaner. A speck of grit inside an injector can kill it.

Two things you won,t see in most videos and none of the kit instruction sheets. The kits and most videos are all geared toward or feature the small block engines. Most of the parts are common but a few are not. The ďYĒ gasket is not a gasket at all, it is a spacer . The one on your 454 is twice as thick as the small block ,you will want to reuse your old one. The base gaskets in the kit will be incorrect, instead you need Felpro #60954. In case you donít already know, don,t immerse the IAC or TPS in carburetor cleaner it can destroy them. BTW, If your engine is a 1994 or 1995 454 TBI it will have 30 psi regulator and a very stiff spring, Be careful the parts don,t launch like rocket when you disassemble it. use the 2 long screws in the kit to help you release the spring pressure

https://youtu.be/XfQ5-a3sRKk
Thanks for the info Rick, Mine is a 1994 with 57500 mi. and I will print this and use your guidance to rebuild the TBI. I only hesitate because it runs just fine, very good power, but has high idle and if I can get a mile or two more MPG it would be worth it.
Thanks again,
__________________
Happy Trails Amigos
Keep on Truckin'
TwoGrizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #5621
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 236
96 Minnie floor/wall updates

had a soft spot in floor from old leak, hated the rug with 2 huskys/hair..
Mirror slates looked like old austin powers shagggin ..

tore it down couple weeks back, last weekend was 14inch snow, got a little done,

last nite was 1 degree, i left an electric heater on, at 6am fired up a mr buddy and camper heat. by 8am it was almost 60.. prepped and pre cut in garage til it got warm

just walked out at 830pm

Gettin it done.. trim and clean up, put dinette back and couch... still got to figure out the battery box cover at top of steps....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200215_145120_01.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	275239   Click image for larger version

Name:	2297793027418027166.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	275240  

sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:17 PM   #5622
Senior Member
 
RM Art's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: CA
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGrizz View Post
Thanks for the info Rick, Mine is a 1994 with 57500 mi. and I will print this and use your guidance to rebuild the TBI. I only hesitate because it runs just fine, very good power, but has high idle and if I can get a mile or two more MPG it would be worth it.
Thanks again,
Be careful... you know the old saying... "Don't fix it, if it ain't broke"!
__________________
Happy is as Happy Does... Live'n, Luv'n, RV'n & Boat'n
1996 Tiffin Allegro 25T - "Sweetie"
RM Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #5623
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 551
I removed the carburetor and intake manifold from my 1987 454 Chevrolet in preparation for a new manifold and remanufactured quadrajet.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #5624
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 210
Changed the Oil, Coolant and filters on both the generator and coach .
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #5625
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Vallejo, CA
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
I removed the carburetor and intake manifold from my 1987 454 Chevrolet in preparation for a new manifold and remanufactured quadrajet.
Are you using an exact rebuilt quadrajet or a generic version?
mrehmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #5626
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 551
Quadrajet replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrehmus View Post
Are you using an exact rebuilt quadrajet or a generic version?
It is an exact replacement. I got it from Guaranteed Carburetors, and prior to shipment, they contacted me to verify the casting number on the one I pulled off. They are identical.

I have everything torn down right now. I'm doing some cleaning on the valve covers and heads today before putting the new intake and carburetor on. I am going to have to find a vacuum diagram as all the vacuum lines burned completely.
__________________

Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×