Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #6189

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
WOW... Banks seems to now be off the table for us. Purchased "Sweetie" our 96 RV couple years ago. Has great running 454 tbi with only 37K miles; i.e. a 1995 model before efi became the norm in 96 - must have been in overstock when RV was built. Was thinking of going full-on Banks... sounds like not available any more!
Check Summit, they might have some still in stock.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #6190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Check Summit, they might have some still in stock.
Thanks... Just thinking... even if they do, any part of the system that might need replacement in future would be a no go. Guess I'll settle for keeping the original units on engine. They are working fine!

Sales must have slowed on the packages for Banks to stop production. Banks in financial trouble?

Nearly every thing I've read/heard about Banks packages flourished praise upon the equipment.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:59 PM   #6191

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Thanks... Just thinking... even if they do, any part of the system that might need replacement in future would be a no go. Guess I'll settle for keeping the original units on engine. They are working fine!

Sales must have slowed on the packages for Banks to stop production. Banks in financial trouble?

Nearly every thing I've read/heard about Banks packages flourished praise upon the equipment.
If you just get the headers, they are stainless steel, so should last the life of your rig. BB Chevys really like to breath. Headers are likely the single best improvement you can make for them.

I think Banks are concentrating on the newer stuff coming out and phasing out older products. Typical of many small companies.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 02-26-2021, 05:19 AM   #6192

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
Telephone called Banks Power Products, in Huntington Beach, CA this morning, to order a 49069 1988-1995 454 TBI Power Pack Kit. They regrettably informed me that kit is discontinued. It also appears the 49070 Power Pack kit for the 1996-2001 is also discontinued.

Doubly sad is that both the 49069 & 49070 kits were CA smog legal. Banks is still manufacturing the special 52410 muffler and the 49073 ('96-2001 Vortec 454) for now. But, I believe the writing is on the wall for these 20+ year old product numbers.

Also checked with Doug Thorley regarding the THY-306Y2-C & THY-306Y2-S-C headers, for the 1990-2000 Chevy 454. They too are out-of-stock. My suspicion is that their 454 motorhome headers will not be making a come back either.
Id keep on searching. Just an FYI regarding exhaust, when we replaced the motor (ford 460) on our 93 Holiday Rambler we put headers on it. Had no problem finding them. The 454 is still out there and will be for awhile.
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:33 AM   #6193

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnuts View Post
Id keep on searching. Just an FYI regarding exhaust, when we replaced the motor (ford 460) on our 93 Holiday Rambler we put headers on it. Had no problem finding them. The 454 is still out there and will be for awhile.
rcnuts...

Sounds as though you may have owned your 93 HR for a while. Did you notice any difference in mileage or available power with the headers compared to stock exhaust manifolds?
Old 02-27-2021, 04:57 AM   #6194

Quote:
rcnuts...

Sounds as though you may have owned your 93 HR for a while. Did you notice any difference in mileage or available power with the headers compared to stock exhaust manifolds?
As far as power increase I can't say for sure as the motor was replaced with a Ford factory reman unit at the same time the headers were installed. The hole pattern in the old cast iron manifolds were slightly different than the reman motor, so they couldn't be used. All the smog crap was removed and headers installed. We were hoping for a jump in milage but dang that never happened. The power increase was tremendous though. Not loud but throaty sounding and on the open road its a great ride. I wanted duel exhaust but no practical way to "shoe horn" that in so the headers converge into a single 4" collector then a 4" stainless steel exhaust pipe and high flow performance muffler.
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:31 AM   #6195

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
WOW... Banks seems to now be off the table for us. Purchased "Sweetie" our 96 RV couple years ago. Has great running 454 tbi with only 37K miles; i.e. a 1995 model before efi became the norm in 96 - must have been in overstock when RV was built. Was thinking of going full-on Banks... sounds like not available any more!
I have a friend that has a 1997 Holiday Rambler with the 454. I put a set of Banks headers on it for him and he is very happy with the power increase.

No other changes and he can drive up the hill to his place in the next gear! It's about a mile at around 10% grade.

If you can find a set of Banks headers, go for it, you won't be disappointed.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:38 PM   #6196

On our 83 Brougham, E-350 chassis, I removed front disc brake calipers, pads, and hub. Tomorrow new calipers, pads and grease. Two days ago finished doing the same on the rear brakes but drum and dually! Actually took me three days...
Old Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #6197

Third Sun Visor

Finished a small project today, while I wait for my new rear leaf springs to arrive from PA. Have been working on (on & off) fabricating this middle position visor for some time. The 3rd visor was hand made to hook onto the existing sun visors allowing for easy on - off. It is clearanced to fit around the light below the TV cabinet.
Decided we needed a middle position visor for those early morning and evening drives. Was not able to find an exact vinyl color match, but it’s close enough for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	158A6856-2BD0-47B5-91AA-13DD0BDB1342.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	320243  
D Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:43 PM   #6198

My wife repurposed some curtains that were replaced in to a nice privacy curtain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WeChat Image_20210308203502.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	320613   Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChat Image_20210308203521.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	320614  

Old 03-10-2021, 06:00 PM   #6199

Quote:
I'd check the RV salvage places.

When I got my 454 based Fleetwood the stock exhaust manifolds were loud... I thought they were cracked. Turned out they just needed new exhaust gaskets. But before I found the gaskets solved the issues I discovered that the local junkyards had a few header sets and both Visone and Colaw had headers available.

Mike
Old 03-12-2021, 04:39 AM   #6200

Ours got detailed yesterday. It looks like new again.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:51 PM   #6201

Water Pump

Been working on a few spring projects, but got the water pump finished today.

For those of you who have a P30 chassis with the 7.4L (454) the water pump. The water pump can be accessed through the bottom. Chevrolet allowed for the cross member, between the fan shroud and crank shaft pulley, to be removable. Removing the cross member only took 7x bolts and disconnecting the two oil cooler hoses. (Used ziplock bags to capture the oil drips.)
This allowed me to split the shroud by removing 5x staples. The two halves of the shroud can be bolted back together using 5x nuts and bolts. Our shroud did have alignment guide pins. (Just drill the bolt holes before splitting the shroud.) This gave me pretty good access (see photos). While the job was not super fun, it wasn’t the worst either.
Just finished a 32 mile test drive and no more coolant smell from the weeping water pump. I was also able to repaint a few items while I was in there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	726555E5-AEEE-4AC0-A52B-DD5A5ED1A36E.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	324875   Click image for larger version

Name:	E00F2E6B-DC5B-4DE4-865F-CF411174D604.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	324876  

D Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #6202

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
Been working on a few spring projects, but got the water pump finished today.

For those of you who have a P30 chassis with the 7.4L (454) the water pump. The water pump can be accessed through the bottom. Chevrolet allowed for the cross member, between the fan shroud and crank shaft pulley, to be removable. Removing the cross member only took 7x bolts and disconnecting the two oil cooler hoses. (Used ziplock bags to capture the oil drips.)
This allowed me to split the shroud by removing 5x staples. The two halves of the shroud can be bolted back together using 5x nuts and bolts. Our shroud did have alignment guide pins. (Just drill the bolt holes before splitting the shroud.) This gave me pretty good access (see photos). While the job was not super fun, it wasn’t the worst either.
Just finished a 32 mile test drive and no more coolant smell from the weeping water pump. I was also able to repaint a few items while I was in there.
Great job. Can you point out to those who are wondering which (7) bolts to remove for the crossbar access?
udid is offline   Reply With Quote