Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2021, 04:41 AM   #6329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidy Tabby View Post
Well like a dumba$$ I have been chasing the wrong sensor to the right gauge. As it so happens the sensor in the radiator is a Low Coolant warning and that actually works. My temp sensor is located on the cylinder head so I get to pop the doghouse off again and trace the correct wire this time. Maybe Iíll get lucky again and find a loose or damaged terminal at the contact point.
Hey Tidy Tabby it sounds to me like your approaching troubleshooting exactly like you should be! Theres a "definition" of troubleshooting among mechanics. Finding what the problem is NOT. Please post when you get it all straitened out, the curiosity is killing me!
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2021, 06:50 AM   #6330

Monaco Owners Club
I found a local Hydraulic shop that is going to rebuild one of my Jacks. He said they might even have the seals already and it should only be 1-2 hours of labor plus parts.
I did have to remove the jack and take it in to them. Very simple job but not easy. The jack is heavy and the bolts were stubborn.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:54 AM   #6331

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnuts View Post
Hey Tidy Tabby it sounds to me like your approaching troubleshooting exactly like you should be! Theres a "definition" of troubleshooting among mechanics. Finding what the problem is NOT. Please post when you get it all straitened out, the curiosity is killing me!
One step at a time.
Found the temp sensor, the wire pings back to the plug without grounding, but running a jumper wire from the sensor to the gauge still buries the needle past the max so I am not certain what is causing the trouble.
Tidy Tabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:01 PM   #6332

Gulf Streamers Club
When the wire is disconnected, does the gauge move to full scale or not move? When the wire is connected, does the gauge do the opposite? On my Cummins, there are two Temp Sensors on the engine, one for the gauge and the other for the idiot light. The one for the idiot light is a simple on/off switch and the gauge is a variable resistor. If you put an Ohm Meter on the sensor for the light, it should read infinite resistance since the engine should not be overheating. The Gauge sensor should read some resistance changing as the temperature of the sensor changes. Some sensors increase the resistance as they heat up and others lower their temperature as they heat up.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:36 PM   #6333

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
When the wire is disconnected, does the gauge move to full scale or not move? When the wire is connected, does the gauge do the opposite? On my Cummins, there are two Temp Sensors on the engine, one for the gauge and the other for the idiot light. The one for the idiot light is a simple on/off switch and the gauge is a variable resistor. If you put an Ohm Meter on the sensor for the light, it should read infinite resistance since the engine should not be overheating. The Gauge sensor should read some resistance changing as the temperature of the sensor changes. Some sensors increase the resistance as they heat up and others lower their temperature as they heat up.

On some temp gushes, the power goes to the gauge then to the sensor which grounds the circuit when temp is reached
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:38 AM   #6334

Vintage RV Owners Club
Upgraded the upgaded front brakes

After a near failure of brakes over a mountain pass I had no business on, I started phase one of a total brake system upgrade on Flatnose Frank, my renovated ď72 RevCon.

Almost exactly a year ago, I rebuilt the front suspension and added Wilwood brake calipers and the base level pads (BP 10ís). I paired them with basic replacement rotors. They worked ok for normal use, but faded badly under heat of a long twisty 10% downhill grade.

So before I tackle a serious fab and retrofit to install rear discs to replace the old Ford drum setup, I upgraded the front rotors with slotted Stop Tech units and the BP 40 compound pads from Wilwood. Test drive affirms the better bite of the more aggressive pads. Next week I begin the rear axle tear down and custom retrofit of a 14Ē Wilwood setup back there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A206A22C-E96F-490F-AF89-C4800D349994.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	342667   Click image for larger version

Name:	47B8AFB9-B551-4C07-9511-3B2392F4A86E.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	342668  

BJohnsonsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:25 PM   #6335

Transmission fluid and filter change, and replaced the pressure switch manifold (PSM) while I was in there. Finally, after six years of ownership, the transmissions annoying habit of randomly dropping into 2nd gear under light throttle has gone away! I'll expound on my experience if anyone is interested.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:10 PM   #6336

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
MOST gages used to test by grounding the wire= gage would go MAX, vs broken wire would stick on zero or low side; assume new is the same? For lights, e.g Temp Switch/ OIL Switch, = 1-wire= grounded=LIGHT ON; Two wire = transmitters for gages. LUCK to ya
Old 09-14-2021, 02:16 PM   #6337

Ford Super Duty Owner
Put it out of its misery!!!
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:32 PM   #6338

Iím interested. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill06447 View Post
Transmission fluid and filter change, and replaced the pressure switch manifold (PSM) while I was in there. Finally, after six years of ownership, the transmissions annoying habit of randomly dropping into 2nd gear under light throttle has gone away! I'll expound on my experience if anyone is interested.
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM   #6339

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We packed it up and went to a park for 6 days.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM   #6340

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG View Post
Iím interested. . . .
At 30mph and minimal throttle the 4L80E transmission would hunt from 3-2 and back again. The last year it began doing this at higher speeds as well (OD to 2 for a brief period). I checked TPS voltage and operation, vacuum lines, changed the ATF, changed the 2 speed sensors, still happening. I picked up a Tech 1 scan tool at a yard sale recently and hooked it up after our latest outing. I noticed idling in Park there was a screen that would flip from "P_N_" to "DRIVE2" with no input from me. Further digging showed this to be controlled by a pressure switch in the transmission, so I dropped the pan again, picked up a replacement switch and so far all has been well.

I'm sure Ford transmissions would have something similar.
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #6341

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill06447 View Post
At 30mph and minimal throttle the 4L80E transmission would hunt from 3-2 and back again. The last year it began doing this at higher speeds as well (OD to 2 for a brief period). I checked TPS voltage and operation, vacuum lines, changed the ATF, changed the 2 speed sensors, still happening. I picked up a Tech 1 scan tool at a yard sale recently and hooked it up after our latest outing. I noticed idling in Park there was a screen that would flip from "P_N_" to "DRIVE2" with no input from me. Further digging showed this to be controlled by a pressure switch in the transmission, so I dropped the pan again, picked up a replacement switch and so far all has been well.

I'm sure Ford transmissions would have something similar.
Believe I also have 4L80E trany in our 1996 25T Tiffin Allegro with 454 tbi engine [even though in 96 GM switched 454's to full fi this rig must have gotten one of the leftovers from 95??].

"Sweetie" has under 40K miles. All fluids/filters are recent. Drives like a champ. Circumstance I've noticed is backing up a really steep, twisty incline on our property. There's little to no room to increase reverse speed before heavy grade begins. If/when I do coerce the RV to gain some reverse speed the trany pretty well pulls it up the steep incline. If I don't get reverse speed up then at peak of the grade the RV simply stops, even with engine revving fairly high. I don't let this high rev with no movement last but for a second. Then, I go back down the short, steep incline. Reason I don't want to drive up frontwards is because there's no turn around room... and I'd be scared s-less to back down the grade [due to fact I've seen other "front engine" weighted heavy rigs get in trouble there. Oh and by the way, did I mention the two twists/turns, one at bottom and one at top.

My predicament is: I carved out a parking place at bottom of driveway by road [we live in rural area]. Unfortunately, it's tight quarters make it difficult to work on or clean the RV.

So, my question: Is it normal for a 4L80E trany to basically "stall out" in reverse when there is little to no reverse speed and a very heavy grade is encountered?

Any suggestion/info/knowledge appreciated. Currently I'm not trying to back up the steep grade again... even though with a try or two I have been able to get enough speed to make it. But, I do not want to stress the reverse mechanism too much inside the 4L80E trany.
Old Today, 08:32 PM   #6342

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
Believe I also have 4L80E trany in our 1996 25T Tiffin Allegro with 454 tbi engine [even though in 96 GM switched 454's to full fi this rig must have gotten one of the leftovers from 95??].

"Sweetie" has under 40K miles. All fluids/filters are recent. Drives like a champ. Circumstance I've noticed is backing up a really steep, twisty incline on our property. There's little to no room to increase reverse speed before heavy grade begins. If/when I do coerce the RV to gain some reverse speed the trany pretty well pulls it up the steep incline. If I don't get reverse speed up then at peak of the grade the RV simply stops, even with engine revving fairly high. I don't let this high rev with no movement last but for a second. Then, I go back down the short, steep incline. Reason I don't want to drive up frontwards is because there's no turn around room... and I'd be scared s-less to back down the grade [due to fact I've seen other "front engine" weighted heavy rigs get in trouble there. Oh and by the way, did I mention the two twists/turns, one at bottom and one at top.

My predicament is: I carved out a parking place at bottom of driveway by road [we live in rural area]. Unfortunately, it's tight quarters make it difficult to work on or clean the RV.

So, my question: Is it normal for a 4L80E trany to basically "stall out" in reverse when there is little to no reverse speed and a very heavy grade is encountered?

Any suggestion/info/knowledge appreciated. Currently I'm not trying to back up the steep grade again... even though with a try or two I have been able to get enough speed to make it. But, I do not want to stress the reverse mechanism too much inside the 4L80E trany.

Try putting an extra 1/2 quart of ATF in it.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

« Goooodmorning!!! | - »