Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2022, 10:26 AM   #6595

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnuts View Post
From those pics, its hard to get perspective on the layout. Ive done some reading on "mini" wood stoves. Great idea if u can fit it in. Going to be awesome for cold weather camping!
eventually I'll be living in my camper full time. I have been working on it for a year now... Honestly if I totalled everything up I could have bought a newish one xD. But I've enjoyed making this 1985 ship my own. The layout was perfect for the wood stove. I took out the third seat and used that area.

Plus this stove comes with a roaster so I can cook on it while it's going. Instead of using propane.
R0ughhab1tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 12:59 PM   #6596

did you have the diamond plate already? How is the weight compared to the traditional 4x8 heatshield/stove board?
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:32 PM   #6597

PAINT!
The old "cabin in the woods" look paneling that makers used in the mid 80's, appears to be only printing that was applied to really thin paneling... and like those horrible prints you see in the thrift stores... mine had gone from the rich look of pecan to a moldy shade of green woodgrain... So, after repairing and replacing the rot, in the front corner of the camper...
It was time for new paint! I used Valspar's, "Cabinet" paint... I'll tell you if it works well, or not... when it dries in a few days!
Here's a before...

And here's an after...

Starting Monday... Ceiling and Floors!
Cheers!
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:16 PM   #6598

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
did you have the diamond plate already? How is the weight compared to the traditional 4x8 heatshield/stove board?
I'm not sure how heavy stove board is. But this is really light because it's aluminum. I went to a metal "superstore" place. They cut it to size for you. Walked out in 5 minutes.

I wanted to keep it as light as possible. Plus the stove (if you purchase it) comes with a back heat shield and flu heat shields allowing the clearance to be 3" to the wall.

My stand/wall has plenty of heat shield it went like this.

1/2" plywood > aluminum diamond plate > stove heat shield > flu heat shield > side heat shield for the bare plywood

That's on-top of the original wall. I left the one side without anything because I wanted a holiday center piece. Stockings or Halloween etc.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:21 PM   #6599

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphoenix View Post
PAINT!
The old "cabin in the woods" look paneling that makers used in the mid 80's, appears to be only printing that was applied to really thin paneling...
Looks awesome! Can't wait to see more
Old 06-27-2022, 03:41 PM   #6600

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Cut, slotted, painted and installed the 1 1/2" ABS pipe sections that protect the large umbilicals of wires coming from the ceiling down to the main connection hub below the bottom of the cabinet.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:45 AM   #6601

Zep wax on your rig

Good Morning,

Seven years ago when we bought our rig I came here for info about it because we knew absolutely nothing about owning a motorhome. I had to deoxidize the rig twice because it was a mess. Lot of work but sure looked better.

I found an article here about painting the decals and did so. Looked amazing and I changed one of the colors. Really liked the results. Then waxed it with Zep Industrial Floor Wax as suggested here on IRV2.

Not the best choice but as I said, we knew nothing. Looked amazing, shiny exactly as I wanted. It's been five years since doing that and it stated yellowing about two years ago. Looked bad and kept getting worse.

I don't know if you have ever removed wax from a vehicle this large before but it is quite a job. I started doing that a couple weeks ago and finally am about 99% done. You know those spots you find in a different light, yeah those.

I got the front cap completely done and waxed it twice with Torque wax. Not shining so going to try buffing it. If no improvement, I may end up finding a different wax. Got the back cap mostly done and waxed . My rig is a 2004.

Will work on the sides as I have time. Have other things I am doing also and this takes time.

Just wanted to give a little warning to those thinking about using Zep. It looks great when you get it done but it yellows and does not look good at all. It seemed as if the dirt worked it's way into the wax and just left it dirty looking. Way too much work to end up with your rig looking like that.

Lynne
beamisll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:49 AM   #6602

Gulf Streamers Club
Zep makes a remover for their floor wax. That is what you are supposed to use.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:55 AM   #6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphoenix View Post
PAINT!
The old "cabin in the woods" look paneling that makers used in the mid 80's, appears to be only printing that was applied to really thin paneling... and like those horrible prints you see in the thrift stores... mine had gone from the rich look of pecan to a moldy shade of green woodgrain... So, after repairing and replacing the rot, in the front corner of the camper...
It was time for new paint! I used Valspar's, "Cabinet" paint... I'll tell you if it works well, or not... when it dries in a few days!
Here's a before...

And here's an after...

Starting Monday... Ceiling and Floors!
Cheers!
Nice update!🇺🇦☮️✌🏻
Old 07-05-2022, 12:28 PM   #6604

Ron, that's what I used.
beamisll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:21 PM   #6605

Took our rig to my step-son's tournament baseball games today. Spent much of the time polishing the ol' girl. He's 15 on a 18U team. He nailed a deep center drive (340-350 feet) but it got caught. His team finished 3rd place.

But,...

When we got home the motor in the step decided to stop working again. Hear the on/off clicks from the switches, so its probably dirty or worn brushes again. At least I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:28 PM   #6606

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
Took our rig to my step-son's tournament baseball games today. Spent much of the time polishing the ol' girl. He's 15 on a 18U team. He nailed a deep center drive (340-350 feet) but it got caught. His team finished 3rd place.

But,...

When we got home the motor in the step decided to stop working again. Hear the on/off clicks from the switches, so its probably dirty or worn brushes again. At least I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
WD-40 in every joint, gear shaft and gear teeth... worked for us!!
Old 07-10-2022, 10:13 AM   #6607

American Coach Owners Club
I started installing new luxury vinyl plank flooring it's a little harder than I thought it would be just because of all the things that you have to go around. Pulling all the old carpet was a lot harder than I thought, soooo many staples.
Old 07-10-2022, 03:05 PM   #6608

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
WD-40 in every joint, gear shaft and gear teeth... worked for us!!

I suggest dry graphite spray. Wd-40 after awhile looses its luster. Even though there's some oil to it it has water in it which evaporates over time and becomes useless.