Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2022, 06:40 AM   #6693

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Finished the prep on my roof after pulling the broken antenna and the working Winegard Carryout satellite dish. Now waiting two weeks for the roof repair to cure and roll out a new one. Can't wait!
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2022, 10:10 PM   #6694

Scrubbed and washed the roof to prep it for a coat of rubber roof coating. I forgot what a job that is! Pulled all my max air vent covers to in the process. They are getting old and brittle, new ones now on order.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:06 PM   #6695

I just completed mine this week. Spent probably 8 hours pressure washing and scraping off the old roof coating the previous owner had put on. Previous coating either was incorrect for EPDM or was incorrectly prepped.

I used RV Roof Magic. For anyone using this on EPDM: The can has a brief note about applying a light flash coat first to keep the membrane from swelling. Unfortunately it doesn’t say how long the flash coat needs to dry. I’m used to the paint cans telling me how long to wait before applying the next coat. No such info on the can. I waited an hour and put on the heavy coat. My EPDM bubbled all up in many places and on the sides coming down over the roof edges. It has been four days now and some of the swelling has gone back down. I’m hoping but not overly optimistic it will tighten on back up.

Had I known to go to the website first I would have seen that flash coat needs 24-36 hours to cure before applying the heavy coat. Had I applied this product properly (which I would have had the instructions been on the can, or had it had a warning to read the instruction on the web) I would be very happy with this coating.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:50 PM   #6696

I am going over the exterior with some rubbing compound and ceramic coating. It seems my RV is actually white and not a creamy golden kinda white. I LIKE IT!
Old 09-14-2022, 07:39 PM   #6697

Two things today.

Noticed our shower pan floor was getting softer. Pan is still good, with no signs of premature cracking. Pulled the plumbing access panel, and...
Good News,... The plywood is hard, and the supports are solid.
Bad News,... Seems the Styrofoam is just old and worn out, and just needs to be replaced under the shower pan. Unfortunately, there is no access to remove the Styrofoam and replace it.

On a brighter note. Took the RV for its biennial smog check. All passed with flying colors. No questioning of the Banks power pack system. All the tech needed to see were the CA air resources board Executive Order decals, and that all was installed properly.
I can stop sweating now. Maggie 2.0 (as my wife calls the RV now) is good to go since the upgrades were done.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:35 PM   #6698

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
Noticed our shower pan floor was getting softer. Pan is still good, with no signs of premature cracking. Pulled the plumbing access panel, and...
Good News,... The plywood is hard, and the supports are solid.
Bad News,... Seems the Styrofoam is just old and worn out, and just needs to be replaced under the shower pan. Unfortunately, there is no access to remove the Styrofoam and replace it.
Can you get a tube under there? You might consider cobbling a tube onto something like Great Stuff and foam the voids back up. I’ve seen and done some fairly effective rescues on older houses I’ve rescued using that kind of stuff.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:43 AM   #6699

Coated the roof with Hengs Rubber Roof coat last night. I actually enjoy doing a roof coating job.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:35 PM   #6700

Installed new max air vent covers, and replaced the marker light covers. A number of the marker light covers were cracked. Wow, I didn’t realize how faded the old ones were until I put new ones on!
Old 09-16-2022, 01:02 PM   #6701

Shower Pan

As some of you know, we are having our sticks & bricks bathrooms gutted and reconfigured. As such we have been using the RV daily as our bathroom and shower. With three people, you can imagine the shower has taken the brunt.

Back Story
Have noticed for years that our shower pan flexed, and that the wall surround to pan gap had grown to a 1/2", in the corner. Wednesday I noticed the shower pan was really deflecting in the center, and pulling on the pan side walls. Plus the water was really beginning to pool around your feet.
In pic 1 you will see the original foam glued to the pan bottom. What you can't really see is how badly the foam was crushed. It's as if it was designed to fail quickly. How it survived for 26 years I'll never know.

Solution #1
Received a suggestion from MarvinG to access the pan from underneath and fill the void with spray foam. Thanks MarvinG. Tried that solution, only to find that the plywood holding up the shower pan and glass enclosure was solid plywood. So that solution was not going to work in our situation.

Checked online for a new shower pan, only to finding that a 25"x30" shower pan is near impossible to locate. Did find a supplier in the UK, but it would require re-plumbing the waste line. Plus waiting weeks for the large parcel to arrive in the USA.
Looked into fitting a 24"x32" shower pan, but the waste plumbing behind the faucet wall would not allow for the wall to be moved two inches.

Solution #2
Decided yesterday to bite the bullet and gut our shower right down to the floor. Hoping to save our shower walls, glass enclosure, and repair/replace the shower pan.

Started at 9:30 yesterday, and had everything removed (without breaking anything) by 12:30.

As suspected the shower pan styrofoam was almost compressed flat. One side edge, of the styrofoam was still perfect and measured 1 5/16" tall. The center of the foam was so compressed that it only measured 1/2" thick. {See pic3}

Went to HD and got me
a) 1" thick (24"x24") piece of Foamular NGX water resistant insulation. Stood on a piece in HD, and it held up to my weight pretty well, with minimal deflection.
b) 3/16" piece of MDF (24"x48") with a black chalk & white marker coatings.
c) 1/8" thick closed cell foam
d) double sided foam adhesive tape, 3M
e) 2" sink strainer from Glacier Bay 1001966392. This gave me a new hair strainer, kitchen sink stopper and strainer. All for $12
f) tube of GE bathroom silicone
g) plumbers putty
h) spray adhesive (had some left over from doing a car headliner)

Repairing shower pan
Removed the old foam from the pan, and scrapped off any old loose bits of glue and foam. Cut the closed cell foam, and then glued it to the pan. Cut the MDF and 1" foam. Glued down the MDF to the closed cell foam, then the 1" foam to the MDF. This gave me a nice laminated structure, replicated the original foam thickness, with the MDF distributing the compression forces over a bigger area. {See pic4}

Cleaning old Silicone
It took me hours, but I scrapped off all of the old silicone, and removed all of the old double sided tape.

Assembly
Installed the a new drain fitting into the shower pan, and dry fit the assembly. All looked well, and had my 7" reveal measurement from pan bottom to side blocks perfect. Jokingly, assembly is the reverse of removal. Just with forethought given to were, and when to apply the silicone.

Finished around 11:30 last night, giving the silicone about 9 hours to cure. The teenager was very concerned about getting his shower in before going to school. Got to impress the girls you know.

Testing & Verdict
The shower pan feels very sturdy, under the feet, and should survive much longer than the original foam layer did. The water drains so much better now. So far, no leaks to report.

Pictures are below.
Pic1 pan removed, Pic2 shower raised floor, with 1" which plywood wall near carpet, Pic3 1-5/16 verses 1/2 Styrofoam, Pic4 closed cell foam, MDF and 1" foam laminate, Pic4 pan test fitting, and 3M adhesive for walls, Pic5 pan, wall, trim and some gold trim installed, Pic6 final product
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan 1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	376525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan Floor.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	376526  

Name:	Pan 2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	376527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan 3.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	376528  

Name:	Pan Fitting.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	376529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan Walls.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	376530  

Name:	Shower Finished.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	376531  
Old 09-16-2022, 06:05 PM   #6702

Very well done! I’m impressed!
Old 09-16-2022, 06:48 PM   #6703

Also impressed, not a small job there.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:16 AM   #6704

gonna do brakes, replace the brake booster and master cylinder, new rear calipers and pads and remove the hr1 relay valve and control valve, (auto parking brake is disconnected mechanicaly) change the water filter, fuel filter and see if my generators fuel pump is crapped, fix clearence lights and reseal the tops of tge front and rear end caps. hoo boy, busy girl today.
nikkievix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 04:59 PM   #6705

well.....that didnt go well. got the new steering stabilizer, rear calipers amd pads on. coulsnt get the booster out,so gave up and put ut back together for now.
nikkievix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:02 PM   #6706

It always takes longer, needs more attention, sometimes more parts than expected! Just like someone at the hardware store told me. You never can make just one trip to pick up plumbing parts, always you will need to come back for something else to finish the job!

Do you need the booster replaced? Or the master cylinder? You want to be safe with the best possible brakes but that may be overkill, especially if R & R is not going to be easy, unless you have symptoms confirming the need to replace those.