Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #743

Winnebago Owners Club
What did I do to my old rig? Well it was yesterday and I backed it into a shady spot next to the lake, put out the awning and the rug. And I've been sitting here since. :-)

Later today I'll bring in the awning so Arthur doesn't take it away.

Curtis, I'll be watching for updates on your sofa/recliner/dinette changes. I've been tempted to do something similar.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #744

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thumbs down

Well, today…
If today starts at midnight we were towed off a US highway to a small ton in eastern okla. We are replacing valve cover gaskets, having the clearances set, replacing vacuum hose. I wonder which old piece of rubber will give way next. I'm looking forward to getting back to a friend's house for a cold shower & AC. Oh, & my itch to take this out on my own is suddenly gone. We are 2 for
2. I'm beginning to wonder if this whole RV thing is worth it. Sitting in the vehicle while it's repaired a B|+€H I surrender.
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textronics View Post
Well, today… If today starts at midnight we were towed off a US highway to a small ton in eastern okla. We are replacing valve cover gaskets, having the clearances set, replacing vacuum hose. I wonder which old piece of rubber will give way next. I'm looking forward to getting back to a friend's house for a cold shower & AC. Oh, & my itch to take this out on my own is suddenly gone. We are 2 for 2. I'm beginning to wonder if this whole RV thing is worth it. Sitting in the vehicle while it's repaired a B|+€H I surrender.
Textronics
Don't give up on it once you get the bugs worked out it will all be worth it!! I have been there too and it's not fun but it created memories!
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textronics View Post
Well, today…
If today starts at midnight we were towed off a US highway to a small ton in eastern okla. We are replacing valve cover gaskets, having the clearances set, replacing vacuum hose. I wonder which old piece of rubber will give way next. I'm looking forward to getting back to a friend's house for a cold shower & AC. Oh, & my itch to take this out on my own is suddenly gone. We are 2 for
2. I'm beginning to wonder if this whole RV thing is worth it. Sitting in the vehicle while it's repaired a B|+€H I surrender.

On a rig that old I would think replacing get all the hoses belts and checking the wiring connections would be a priority before taking it out away from home. All those vacuum lines mean something and having a dependable rig is a real source of pride. Course if you aren't mechanically inclined you are already behind the 8 ball.

One of the reasons I've stuck with my 90 Fleetwood is because I know it inside and out. There is nothing I can't or won't repair or replace on my old girl.
Tim Taylor has nothing over me!

Hang in there and if you can,
try to make some periodic preventative maintenance a habit.
Commercial Carrier's do it all the time.

You won't believe the to box I take with me.....
Old 07-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #747

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibike View Post
What did I do to my old rig? Well it was yesterday and I backed it into a shady spot next to the lake, put out the awning and the rug. And I've been sitting here since. :-)

Later today I'll bring in the awning so Arthur doesn't take it away.

Curtis, I'll be watching for updates on your sofa/recliner/dinette changes. I've been tempted to do something similar.
Envy - Have to admire a person who has the right priorities.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #748

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We need a new faucet in the bathroom, hubby just left think I will call and remind him. He leaves Wed, my only chance to get it done this time home.

He has gotten the air hoses hooked up on the Cadillac, had a heck of a time finding someplace in the firewall without wires to run it through. Had the RV place put the baseplate on.

Now we are trying to adapt a Blue Ox rock guard to the Demco and have found a way to do so.

The one Demco had we didn't like, so we got the screen that lays on top of the hitch, fastens to the car and the hitch, we think that one look like it will do a better job, at least we hope so.

I am STILL waxing, I'm using a heavy oxidation wax, didn't think it was till I started working on it. All the gray and blue is fine its the creme color at the top that is heavily oxidized. Now I'm seeing a big difference.

I spray painted the propane tank white he went to get some things so is supposed to get me a can of Rustoleum brush on paint so I can get around the valves and things, looks nice. Also some white enamel, its rusty around the edges of the panel in the water bay, he said one day he needs to take it out and mount a new piece of angle iron or something behind it. I scrapped off and painted the edges of the bottom strip on the body where the bay doors close. It's aluminum but some of the old paint could be peeled off. I have 2 gaskets to glue back on 2 bays at the bottom.

Finally trying to do some things I intended to do last year and didn't. Have more staining to do inside, I didn't realize the trim was so weathered I guess you would say. Years of steam, humidity, cooking, etc took its toll.

Ok, back at it.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #749

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I did an oil change on engine and generator and tried out my new drain pan. I posted this video in the tools area but if you watch the whole thing you'll see why I love my older coach!

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #750

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Removed my kitchen pantry storage slides. Greased with white lube. Pantry slide outs work like new again.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #751

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Inspected the roof today, found a slit above the awning about 2 inches long, hubby caulked it, forgot to ask if he put eternabond on it too.

He said he also did around the top of the awning arms. We had a leak by the skylight in the hallway in the last rain that we had not had before. If that doesn't fix it, the only other thing he could think of is the gaskets around the AC's. He said see if its ok on my next trip if not he will lift them and see if they are crimped or something. We had put liquid roof on it 2 or 3 years ago and everything else looks solid and tight, we have no idea where its coming from.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #752

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
I did an oil change on engine and generator and tried out my new drain pan. I posted this video in the tools area but if you watch the whole thing you'll see why I love my older coach!

Thanks for the video. I think I may have to fashion me one of those oil change contraptions.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #753

We have one of them drain pans. Piece of junk. The pump quit working the third time I used it. Now it sits outside behind the shop and I kick it every time I walk past it for wasting money on it.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #754

i use the same tray I bought for my car from the auto parts store. It holds 8 quarts and has a spout on the end to pour the contents back into the used oil containers. $12 well spent and easily stored.

93 Southwind
2001 Saturn SC2 toad
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #755

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I washed the roof. I'm beat!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #756
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I replaced two of the gas shocks on one of my basement bus-style doors.

No more "be-heading" when I stick my head inside to get something!

Les, Bonnie, Morgan and 4 Legger - Bella
2001 Beaver Patriot 40' Monticello CAT 330hp
ReadyBrake/Ready Brute Elite
2013 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote