Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #4355

Have been working right along on it this week. Mostly little things but I did wash and wax the rear of the trailer. Will do the front but I'll have to find the time. The left rear quarter extension paint was a little beat, so I cleaned and roughed up the surface, put four light coats of Krylon satin white it matched not to badly. Put the second coat of primer on the pin box, front frame cross member and rear bumper. Taking a day off (doctors) this week put me behind. But tomorrow is another day.
Auggie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #4356

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie56 View Post
Have been working right along on it this week. Mostly little things but I did wash and wax the rear of the trailer. Will do the front but I'll have to find the time. The left rear quarter extension paint was a little beat, so I cleaned and roughed up the surface, put four light coats of Krylon satin white it matched not to badly. Put the second coat of primer on the pin box, front frame cross member and rear bumper. Taking a day off (doctors) this week put me behind. But tomorrow is another day.

Cleaned, checked and topped off the house batteries, replaced the alternator, now it’s charging and the tach is working again. Tomorrow it’s replacing the microwave
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #4357

I exposed my rear end!

Today I got the roof aluminum in the rear flattened out and reattached. Then, I went to work on the filon and exposed my rear end on the passenger side. I wire brushed all the aluminum frame as far as I could reach with the cup brush. The rest I scraped with a 5-in-1; tomorrow I will sand what I couldn't clean up with the wire brush.

I pulled the filon away from the frame and hung it on a nearby tree with some clamps to hold it up while I work on reassembling the wall. I am using 1/4" plywood instead of the luan for the exterior layer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-14 21.06.18.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	219061   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-14 21.08.00.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	219062  

Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #4358

Wow, you my man are going to town on your rig. Keep the pictures coming.
Auggie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #4359

Onan BGM 5BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
...The generator developed a no-spark condition...,
Finished installing the new Onan ignition coil and module on Maggie. She fired right up. Now we are ready for Yosemite, where there are no hook ups, for our Christmas trip.

While in there, I swapped the short oil filter out for the longer Onan 122-0800 filter making the next oil change that much easier. Plus the generator got a new air filter.

Lastly I never liked where my step-dad mounted the LPG regulator, when he installed the gas to LPG conversion. Moved the regulator from the hot generator bay, to the cooler adjacent bay. Only required some fittings to be moved, and a longer feed hose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GenSet2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	219158  
Old 09-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #4360

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Repaired the stupid accordion drapes in the front window. Somehow some of the nylon guides jumped out of track.

I also pulled my ADTH 5" monitor out of the dash to switch from mirror image to regular image. Now people passing me will be on the right side of the freaking coach.

And, I finally washed all the woodwork with Murphys oil soap and then hand waxed them. They look like new now.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #4361

Yesterday I spent the day cleaning and prepping the aluminum frame and getting all the deteriorated luan out from behind the repair area. I did get the first piece of replacement plywood cut to match the existing plywood, and around the wheel well. It was dark by the time I got that far so I waited until today to attach the sheet when I have some daylight to ensure proper fitment.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #4362

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ordered new bubble levels for it, the ones on it where a casualty this winter. They didn't like -5* and a pelting ice storm.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #4363

Today I began the process of re-lamination of the wall. The wall tapers at both the top and bottom so measuring and scribing was arduous, but I wanted it right, so I took my time and I think it came out pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-09-16 21.34.19.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	219337   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-16 21.36.26.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	219338  

Old 09-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #4364

Added some bling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180916_112936.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	219366  
James 3:17
Mr Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #4365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
Today I began the process of re-lamination of the wall. The wall tapers at both the top and bottom so measuring and scribing was arduous, but I wanted it right, so I took my time and I think it came out pretty well.
Looking great!
James 3:17
Mr Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #4366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
Looking great!
Thank you! I can't tell you how much better it feels to be reassembling things instead of ripping out rotten wood. I am setting up to start the reattachment of the filon skins right now. I am working on a jig to be able to apply pressure to the wall as the epoxy cures.

I have more detail of the project here:

87 Georgie Boy Complete Restoration and Makeover - iRV2 Forums
Old 09-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #4367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
Impressive . Good luck making the jig for the epoxy.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #4368

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
Added some bling.

I will need this bling, too when Merry's done.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote