Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2021, 08:47 PM   #6343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Try putting an extra 1/2 quart of ATF in it.
UT - Thanks for that little trick suggestion. Having mentally recorded and utilized quite a few "tricks" during my many decades of screwing with mechanical items... I know that many tricks do work. Must say this is one I've not heard of.

So, I gotta ask... even though I know the trany is 100% full from recent fluid and filter change - you still recommend adding extra 1/2 quart?

Have you found this trick useful due to the extra fluid level enabling the trany pump to have better fluid-access from its pan when on steep grade?

I believe I see the logic in this!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #6344

Finally cleaned out the media cabinet which freed up space for….? Anything we want!
Okay Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4286.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	343320
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:21 PM   #6345

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
UT - Thanks for that little trick suggestion. Having mentally recorded and utilized quite a few "tricks" during my many decades of screwing with mechanical items... I know that many tricks do work. Must say this is one I've not heard of.

So, I gotta ask... even though I know the trany is 100% full from recent fluid and filter change - you still recommend adding extra 1/2 quart?

Have you found this trick useful due to the extra fluid level enabling the trany pump to have better fluid-access from its pan when on steep grade?

I believe I see the logic in this!!
If it works, your dip stick may be marked wrong. I have seen it before.

If it's over filled, you will see bubbles on the dip stick when you check the level as it's running. Hard to see, so look carefully.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:22 AM   #6346

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Believe I also have 4L80E trany in our 1996 25T Tiffin Allegro with 454 tbi engine [even though in 96 GM switched 454's to full fi this rig must have gotten one of the leftovers from 95??].

"Sweetie" has under 40K miles. All fluids/filters are recent. Drives like a champ. Circumstance I've noticed is backing up a really steep, twisty incline on our property. There's little to no room to increase reverse speed before heavy grade begins. If/when I do coerce the RV to gain some reverse speed the trany pretty well pulls it up the steep incline. If I don't get reverse speed up then at peak of the grade the RV simply stops, even with engine revving fairly high. I don't let this high rev with no movement last but for a second. Then, I go back down the short, steep incline. Reason I don't want to drive up frontwards is because there's no turn around room... and I'd be scared s-less to back down the grade [due to fact I've seen other "front engine" weighted heavy rigs get in trouble there. Oh and by the way, did I mention the two twists/turns, one at bottom and one at top.

My predicament is: I carved out a parking place at bottom of driveway by road [we live in rural area]. Unfortunately, it's tight quarters make it difficult to work on or clean the RV.

So, my question: Is it normal for a 4L80E trany to basically "stall out" in reverse when there is little to no reverse speed and a very heavy grade is encountered?

Any suggestion/info/knowledge appreciated. Currently I'm not trying to back up the steep grade again... even though with a try or two I have been able to get enough speed to make it. But, I do not want to stress the reverse mechanism too much inside the 4L80E trany.
We had that happen once when I was service manager. We found the parking brake was not releasing. The brake was weak. It would hold the motorhome from rolling, but the engine was powerful enough to make the motorhome move under full throttle.
There is a adjustment on the gearshift that controls the brake release. If it is out of adjustment, the brake will not release in reverse. It will release when you put it in drive, but not reverse.
To test for this, put the engine in reverse and listen for the pump to come on and release the brake.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:35 AM   #6347

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
We had that happen once when I was service manager. We found the parking brake was not releasing. The brake was weak. It would hold the motorhome from rolling, but the engine was powerful enough to make the motorhome move under full throttle.
There is a adjustment on the gearshift that controls the brake release. If it is out of adjustment, the brake will not release in reverse. It will release when you put it in drive, but not reverse.
To test for this, put the engine in reverse and listen for the pump to come on and release the brake.
Thanks, ga traveler - I'll look into that.

Although... I believe our park brake is fully releasing. Pretty sure it's cable only; has old school T handle for brake release wherein the pedal pops up from floor to full upward position with resounding [standard old school] bang noise as it hits top of its release position.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:44 AM   #6348

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Thanks, ga traveler - I'll look into that.

Although... I believe our park brake is fully releasing. Pretty sure it's cable only; has old school T handle for brake release wherein the pedal pops up from floor to full upward position with resounding [standard old school] bang noise as it hits top of its release position.
Crawl under and take a look at you park brake (on the back of the transmission) If you see a cable and what looks like a servo attached to it, you have a AAPB (Auto Applied Park Brake) that is powered by a spring. That spring is compressed by hydrualic pressure supplied by the PS pump.

I had a 1994 chassis P30 that had both the AAPB and a pedal like you describe. I could definatly hear the PB being released when I took it out of park. Sort of a groaning sound.

Definatly worth a look like GA Traveler said.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #6349

I had a Ford transmission that was hunting and it turned out to be the brake light switch needed adjustment It thought I was applying the brakes so it kept shifting down for no reason.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #6350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Crawl under and take a look at you park brake (on the back of the transmission) If you see a cable and what looks like a servo attached to it, you have a AAPB (Auto Applied Park Brake) that is powered by a spring. That spring is compressed by hydrualic pressure supplied by the PS pump.

I had a 1994 chassis P30 that had both the AAPB and a pedal like you describe. I could definatly hear the PB being released when I took it out of park. Sort of a groaning sound.

Definatly worth a look like GA Traveler said.
Will do - Thanks!
Old 09-18-2021, 05:25 AM   #6351

Quote:
So, my question: Is it normal for a 4L80E trany to basically "stall out" in reverse when there is little to no reverse speed and a very heavy grade is encountered?
The transmission very well may be at its limit-the grade is so steep that the transmission has reached stall speed (around 2400rpm). Theres a point where the torque converter can only do so much. Reverse ratio isn't as deep as first gear.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:33 AM   #6352

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill06447 View Post
The transmission very well may be at its limit-the grade is so steep that the transmission has reached stall speed (around 2400rpm). Theres a point where the torque converter can only do so much. Reverse ratio isn't as deep as first gear.
Thanks, Bill

I'd be discussing this with my decades trusted [and utilized] old-school trany genius "Jim", leader man at Horgan's Transmission shop... however... debilitating illness has forced the shop closed. Hardship for Jim's family as well as for the community loosing access to a renowned privately owned trany shop. We all miss getting to stop by and kibitz with Jim. He's a great guy!
Old 09-19-2021, 05:54 AM   #6353

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidy Tabby View Post
One step at a time.
Found the temp sensor, the wire pings back to the plug without grounding, but running a jumper wire from the sensor to the gauge still buries the needle past the max so I am not certain what is causing the trouble.
If the gauge is pegging when you ground it that means the sensor has gone bad.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #6354

Monaco Owners Club
Added Recliners

Before and after. Interesting project with chair casters

Also added a toad. Didn't have time to get a braking system for it so it will go on a dolly for this trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210916_121633.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	343608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recliner.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	343609  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Terrain.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	343610  
Old 09-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #6355

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
New chassis battery. 4D , 1660 cranking amps and 1775 CCA. Heavy and very snug fit same as previous 8D that was in there that gave up the ghost.
Previous chassis battery was at least pre 2015 vintage.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:44 AM   #6356

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
What did you do to your old RV today?

Finished up my TV relocation after tiling the kitchen and vanity areas the last week. TV is on a lift. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1654.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	343744Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1656.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	343745Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1636.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	343746Click image for larger version