Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2021, 06:53 AM   #6427

Well....I didn't complete the work today, but in the last three months, I have done a lot of maintenance and upgrades. I am a very slow mechanic with limited skills and tools, but so far so good on all the following:

1. New water pump, alternator, hoses, belts (Holiday Rambler thought it would be a good idea to extend the dashboard 1/2 way over the doghouse to accommodate a T.V., so I had to pull the A/C condenser and radiator and go in from the front to do the water pump). Great fun.
2. Replaced the Morryde rubber springs on the tag axle
3. Repacked the wheel bearings on the tag axle (the bearings were originally oil bath but someone had apparently lost the oil and fried one side before--the spindle is a little rough, so I will be inspecting the bearings after 5.000 miles or so. Using an infrared thermometer, I am not showing any heat in the hub after 300 miles, so I feel pretty good about things at this point)
4. Removed the exhaust manifolds and all exhaust piping and mufflers and replaced with Banks Headers and a Stinger system. Also had to replace the EGR tube and then make my own air injection tube for the driver's side manifold. Yes, it was a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a 1997 Motorhome, but the engine was replaced 7,000 miles ago (by previous owner) with a Jasper remanufactured engine, so I am hoping the old gal still has a lot of life left to live. The change in hill climbing was nothing short of amazing with the Banks system. I can pass everything but a gas station.
5. Rebuilt the Atwood furnace (new sail switch, new limit switch, new fan blower, new control board, igniter and gas valve. Works great.
6. Replaced the control board on the Atwood water heater. Now works perfectly.
7. Fixed a water leak in the hot water line coming from the water heater.
8. Inspected the brake system. Rotors and pads look ok for now, but next summer I will be replacing calipers, pads, the dreaded caliper pins and all the brake hoses. I will make sure I lube the caliper pins annually.
9. After a wiring short left me stranded on the side of the road in OKC on a Friday afternoon at 4:00 pm, I did a temporary repair and limped back to home base. While there, I replaced the wiring from the alternator to the starter relay and ECU (if was a broken wire to the ECU that left us on the side of the highway.
10. Replaced the turn signal switch in the steering column. Also replaced the brake light switch. Ever seen a 62 year old fat guy stand on his head backwards to get to a brake light switch? Not pretty....
11. Dropped the tranny pan and put in a new filter. Replaced the lost fluid with new. I plan to do this annually as the old tranny works great and I hope to keep it that way.
12. Changed the oil and lubed the chassis.

Thanks to everyone who has posted useful information on IRV2 and other forums. I don't think I could have accomplished all this without the information I gleamed from reading your posts.
Boy, old RVs sure are a lot of fun...
OldandOlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2021, 06:57 AM   #6428
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Repaired a detached hose to our air mattress. The repair was simple, access to it was not.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:41 PM   #6429

Three months worth of work,...not bad at all considering your list.
The Banks system does give lots of power.
It may be crazy money (too some) to invest into an older vehicle. But, you have a vintage of vehicle that most of us older guys can repair with a screw driver and some duct tape (so to speak).
Question. What engine/chassis does your Holiday Rambler, have Ford or Chevy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldandOlder View Post
Well....I didn't complete the work today, but in the last three months, I have done a lot of maintenance and upgrades. I am a very slow mechanic with limited skills and tools, but so far so good on all the following:

1. New water pump, alternator, hoses, belts (Holiday Rambler thought it would be a good idea to extend the dashboard 1/2 way over the doghouse to accommodate a T.V., so I had to pull the A/C condenser and radiator and go in from the front to do the water pump). Great fun.
2. Replaced the Morryde rubber springs on the tag axle
3. Repacked the wheel bearings on the tag axle (the bearings were originally oil bath but someone had apparently lost the oil and fried one side before--the spindle is a little rough, so I will be inspecting the bearings after 5.000 miles or so. Using an infrared thermometer, I am not showing any heat in the hub after 300 miles, so I feel pretty good about things at this point)
4. Removed the exhaust manifolds and all exhaust piping and mufflers and replaced with Banks Headers and a Stinger system. Also had to replace the EGR tube and then make my own air injection tube for the driver's side manifold. Yes, it was a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a 1997 Motorhome, but the engine was replaced 7,000 miles ago (by previous owner) with a Jasper remanufactured engine, so I am hoping the old gal still has a lot of life left to live. The change in hill climbing was nothing short of amazing with the Banks system. I can pass everything but a gas station.
5. Rebuilt the Atwood furnace (new sail switch, new limit switch, new fan blower, new control board, igniter and gas valve. Works great.
6. Replaced the control board on the Atwood water heater. Now works perfectly.
7. Fixed a water leak in the hot water line coming from the water heater.
8. Inspected the brake system. Rotors and pads look ok for now, but next summer I will be replacing calipers, pads, the dreaded caliper pins and all the brake hoses. I will make sure I lube the caliper pins annually.
9. After a wiring short left me stranded on the side of the road in OKC on a Friday afternoon at 4:00 pm, I did a temporary repair and limped back to home base. While there, I replaced the wiring from the alternator to the starter relay and ECU (if was a broken wire to the ECU that left us on the side of the highway.
10. Replaced the turn signal switch in the steering column. Also replaced the brake light switch. Ever seen a 62 year old fat guy stand on his head backwards to get to a brake light switch? Not pretty....
11. Dropped the tranny pan and put in a new filter. Replaced the lost fluid with new. I plan to do this annually as the old tranny works great and I hope to keep it that way.
12. Changed the oil and lubed the chassis.

Thanks to everyone who has posted useful information on IRV2 and other forums. I don't think I could have accomplished all this without the information I gleamed from reading your posts.
Boy, old RVs sure are a lot of fun...
Old 11-22-2021, 07:09 AM   #6430

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
Three months worth of work,...not bad at all considering your list.
The Banks system does give lots of power.
It may be crazy money (too some) to invest into an older vehicle. But, you have a vintage of vehicle that most of us older guys can repair with a screw driver and some duct tape (so to speak).
Question. What engine/chassis does your Holiday Rambler, have Ford or Chevy?
I'm on the F-53 Ford Chassis with the 7.5 liter (460) engine.
OldandOlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:31 AM   #6431

Vintage RV Owners Club
what did i do to motorhome

the elec steps have never worked right since we got it 7 yrs ago. the colder it is..the better they work..so i ordered a new control box and motor.. went out to motorhome..opened the door and guess what came out? ya the steps.nice and quiet.no grinding.rubbing.. ok..so i put the new parts behind the chair beside the door..spring project .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steps power module.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	349546   Click image for larger version

Name:	steps manual.jpg
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	349547  

Old 11-23-2021, 05:14 AM   #6432

Not what I did; what I will do

Well, ours is a sad story of the hope of another and better day. We had bought our 1998 Odessa Overland Laredo mid-October. Did the needed repairs/remodels, gave her a name, Gwen, and set out on November 12 for our maiden voyage. We were just 12 miles from our destination in St. Augustine, Florida and acting as giddy as children in a toy store at Christmas. As I'm driving, I look in the rear view monitor and behold, white, billowing smoke is coming out of our engine. This was about 5:30pm. We pulled over to a safe place, shut her down, and, by 1:30 we were in the hotel room after towing Gwen 77 miles back to Ocala.

So, all this to say what I "hope" to do this week -- pick up Gwen from the diesel hospital. Still waiting for the final word, but hope she is well and home soon.

Thanks for the support,

Paul and Susan
DrPaulRMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #6433

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I checked the leaky front Wet Hub and added some fluid . Then Sealed the leaky roof leak around the TV Antennae . Then I installed a new Bathroom "toot" fan. I then took the Rig to get its annual safety inspection ... Which it failed... for the 1st time.. The Hazard flashers decided not to work when I got there. ha. Fuse is okay so I am on to troubleshooting.. Happy Motoring !
TexasBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:48 PM   #6434

Monaco Owners Club
Mud dobbers in furnace!

Zone 1 furnace hasn't worked since we bought the MH. I thought maybe I needed the duo- therm 5 button board because the Zone 1 AC was changed.
Decided to troubleshoot.
1. Furnace not getting power. F23 was missing. Not good.
Installed F23 and shorted two blue wires in furnace. Blower motor frozen.
Manually turned Cage and it felt a little better after spinning a few times. I was just able to see mud dobber nest.
Cleaned all the clay out and motor was fine.
Works like a champ now.
Have to like the free fixes
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:38 PM   #6435

Starter time

It is time to change out the starter. Major back surgery 10 years ago prevents me from lifting over 35#. At least that was the surgeons strict instructions. I stick to that most of the time. No way was I going to try and muscle this thing out of there. So how to get a 60# 42Mt out of a very cramped area with transmission heat exchanger, lines, hoses etc in the way by myself?
After a lot of monkey motion removing clamps and brackets to be able to swing the heat exchanger a bit to the side, and removeing the intercooler tube so I could get to the wiring, and mounting bolts, I was able to drop it down using a Klein block and tackle. (Justified that tool purchase for this job) Only way to fit the starter betwen the frame and engine block is nose up, starter straight up and down. I have some wireing to tidy up, a cable that has corosion to replace, and then we will see how the new one goes back in. If I was a flat rate mechanic I would starve.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	American dream starter 3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	350918   Click image for larger version

Name:	American dream starter 2.jpg
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	350919  

Name:	American dream starter 4.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	350920  
FrogHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:00 PM   #6436

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogHollow View Post
It is time to change out the starter. Major back surgery 10 years ago prevents me from lifting over 35#. At least that was the surgeons strict instructions. I stick to that most of the time. No way was I going to try and muscle this thing out of there. So how to get a 60# 42Mt out of a very cramped area with transmission heat exchanger, lines, hoses etc in the way by myself?
After a lot of monkey motion removing clamps and brackets to be able to swing the heat exchanger a bit to the side, and removeing the intercooler tube so I could get to the wiring, and mounting bolts, I was able to drop it down using a Klein block and tackle. (Justified that tool purchase for this job) Only way to fit the starter betwen the frame and engine block is nose up, starter straight up and down. I have some wireing to tidy up, a cable that has corosion to replace, and then we will see how the new one goes back in. If I was a flat rate mechanic I would starve.
Have you checked if you can get one of the new high torque starters? Smaller and close to 1/2 the weight.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:57 PM   #6437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Have you checked if you can get one of the new high torque starters? Smaller and close to 1/2 the weight.
I checked pricing at several sources before purchasing a new 42mt from a local vendor that I have good history with. Shortly after, a friend told me that he had switched to a gear reduction starter on his 855 Cummins and loved it. I did not know they were available or I might have gone that way. Did not realize I was living such a sheltered life.
FrogHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:33 AM   #6438

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogHollow View Post
I checked pricing at several sources before purchasing a new 42mt from a local vendor that I have good history with. Shortly after, a friend told me that he had switched to a gear reduction starter on his 855 Cummins and loved it. I did not know they were available or I might have gone that way. Did not realize I was living such a sheltered life.
I changed quite a few starters in the 40 years I worked on trucks. Nice to see the new lightweight ones come along. Unfortunately that was around the time I did more supervision and customer relations. Do not miss laying on my back with the dirt and debris falling on me. Have a great day.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #6439

Norman & Elna.

"Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!"

Might I suggest to everyone... easier and more comfortable [i.e. better] to walk around with a Leatherman "Surge" in a case on your belt or slipped inside your pocket. For two decades I have always carried a Surge multi tool tool-group in my rear pocket; for instant access in a vertical position next to my wallet. IMO - Surge is a necessity to always have immediately available. - Watch video in link below!

Mine was a gift from my son, Troy. Therefore it's known throughout family as my "Troy Toy". Family members often ask to borrow my Troy Toy!

And - During these 20 +/- years of ownership there have been two times that my Troy Toy [Leatherman Surge] became broken in one form or another and needed to be repaired/replaced. Simply send it back to Leatherman and a completely refurbished, like new Surge comes back to me at no charge! Couldn't ask for anything better!!

https://www.rei.com/product/728652/l...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-08-2021, 08:33 AM   #6440

My Leatherman is a "Kick". Not sure how long I've had it but it's on it's third belt holster.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote