Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #57

found our 84 itasca on kijiji.com half hour from home
ramit98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #58

We found our current RV, a '73 Winnebago Indian, from Craigslist last year. Located in Palmer, 43 miles away from us. Seller wanted $2700, but we talked him down to $2,000 due to a leaky water pump. Drove it home. We are the 3rd owners of it.

Replaced the pump, fixed a bad drivers-side exhaust gasket, and replaced about 6-8 rotten rubber fuel lines. Also had to do a tune-up, since it sat for 4 years. Took it to Whittier, AK (~100 miles RT) for its 'shakedown' trip, then to Fairbanks, AK (720 miles RT) for a vacation one month later. Purred all the way.

LOVE our Winnie!
Old 04-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #59

'78 Sierra II Swinger

34' from tow yard for $80.00, drove it home 3 years ago, have a total of $1400.00 in it including 2 tires, battery and RH windshield. Everything but the cruise control works. Was on non-op but on the street with expired plates, PD had it towed in but forgot to notify DMV. Lots of minor repairs and cleaning, inside of coach was painted navy blue by previous tweakers, only drivers seat. Built a gaucho bed 'cause the sofa bed was missing, added 2 swivel captains chairs from Ecology across from gaucho, painted inside with mis-matched paint from Home Depot. Having a problem with front end shake and RH valve cover gasket leaking ... replaced twice so far, straightened the valve cover flange, but it still leaks. Has 440 Dodge. As far as the front end shake, maybe one of those aftermarket steering dampers will help.
Dennistimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennistimer View Post
As far as the front end shake, maybe one of those aftermarket steering dampers will help.
Sounds like a fun machine. We would love to see photos.

As far as front-end shake, it could be from worn suspension bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints or idler arm.

But most likely it is from out of balance tires or a bent wheel.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #61

1990 1/2 Bounder

Hey! If you buy it NEW at the end of 1989, keep it garaged for 20 years and still have it...it just becomes "vintage" over night. Like new, with only 38,000 original miles.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #62

Send a message via AIM to Fred from Ga Send a message via MSN to Fred from Ga Send a message via Yahoo to Fred from Ga
Found our '88 HR Imperal 35' at the local dealer as I was looking for a 5th Wheel. Couldn't believe the price so went by to see what kind of shape it was in for the price. Outside was in good shape, needed a wash job and wax, inside was like new. Cabinets were like showroom, carpet had been replaced sofa in good shape but old style. Refg had been replace, furnace worked good, both roof a/c units worked great. Cons was the generator ran but wouldn't charge as someone had tried to bypass the main switch and burnt out the regulator. Paint on hood had faded some. We cleaned the carpet, DW made new covers for the sofa, chair and dinette seats, new curtains. The original rear camera didn't work and the light over the bed. Will change it to LED, got the generator lined up to be repaired in the next couple weeks. Also has the Ford 460 engine and of course the Power Valve blew so I replaced it. I retired from Ford Motor Company and used to "build" my own warm cars. Paid $4995 for it. Had 48500 miles on it. DW wants to replace the carpet with the laminated stuff. I personal like the carpet but peace is better than winning the battle. Love it.
Fred from Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We found our '88HR on Craigslist after looking at several and driving over 500 miles. We are thankful we found a well loved, one owner coach in excellent condition on the inside, but major sun fading on the outside. Paid $4,700 for 1988 30ft Holiday Rambler Presidential
88Ramblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
Got my 88 Falcon 190 on Ebay. Looked for almost 2 years. That was to find one in my price range and in my area. Took a chance and bought it sight unseen. Luckily the seller was 'fairly' honest. A few things he forgot (..ahem...) to mention but really nothing to be unexpected for a 25 year old vehicle.

By the way 88Ramblur why did you use my picture for your avitar?........hahaha
borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderboardr View Post
By the way 88Ramblur why did you use my picture for your avitar?........hahaha
Sorry! Didn't think you'd see it!
88Ramblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #66

eBay

We found our 1994 Gulfstream Friendship on EBay. Had to do some fancy maneuvering to "steal" it away from other bidder. He contacted me after the auction closed and offered me $5k over my buying price. After tons of remodeling, repair, and upgrades, I should have taken his offer. But, we now love our coach. It fits us just right.

Google news story about homeless Veteran buying a motorhome off of Craig's list in Phoenix. He got 5 miles before the engine caught fire on the freeway and lost every thing he had left.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #67

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Not too many of us showing off there vintage MH'S Why?
Well our 1987 Southwind has been at the RV dealer more than we have had it. Once they do the fixes correctly, this is the 4th try at it, and we have it in our possession I will take pictures and post them.

We got ours from Craigslist with 28,000 miles for $2500. We looked for 6 weeks at maybe a dozen RVs. We finally decided on a Class A as opposed to buying both a truck and a 5er. What little we have gotten to use it, we are very pleased. It needs some TLC that I can do on the interior, but had, what I thought was a reputable dealer, do the major inspection and repair of the coach, glad I did, there were several problems that I might have been able to fix, but was unsure mostly for a lack of proper tools. So at this point we decided to spend the money and let the so called professionals do their thing. Big mistake with this outfit, hopefully this 4th time is the charm.

Berniece & Russell with LilBit the Netherland Dwarf rabbit who knows she is the queen

1987 Southwind
2003 Kia Sedona
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
We got ours from Camping World right after they took over the Independent dealer we had used for years. It was a trade-in, but it had good bones. I was originally looking at a much newer unit to replace our RoadTrek, but when my wife stepped inside the one I thought she'd like - she hated it!

She wanted another C, but I wanted an A. I told her that they had taken on old Class A in trade the other day and I wanted to show her how they looked back in the day - before slides and all the fancy doo-dads (which I did not want). When she stepped inside, she loved the interior. The PO had really maintained the rig. A lot of upgrades had been added over the years and all the major components had been replaced. We test drove it and once she told me that she was okay with an older rig, I made an offer before CW even had their crew detail it. We picked it up 2 days later and it looked like new. That's been a few years ago and we haven't once regretted it.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit98 View Post
found our 84 itasca on kijiji.com half hour from home
You know I look at an older RV and have wondered what would it take to build an of the construction method and quality. Makes me wonder what they could sell it for and if there would be a market. You can buy travel trailers in that catagory, but not a small class A. For the weekend young family, does one need that much more?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #70

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Spotted our 1989 HR Imperial 34' sitting on a corner for sale by owner. We had been considering a travel trailer at the time, but we were intrigued with the coaches condition. Time went by and we kept driving past it. One day I couldn't stand it any longer and decided to call the number, and found out we new the folks personally, and I had even worked for them once. We went and looked at it, and was very pleased with what we saw. His wife had grown tired of their friends with their DPs leaving them behind on there way to Florida, so he had purchased an American Eagle.
We pondered it, and even got side tracked by the DPs ourselves looking at several coaches over the next year.
Then one day I decided to call him up to see if he still had it. Just so happens he did, and was getting ready to run a new ad on it. We went down and drove it again, chatted with he and his wife, and the rest is history.
We're getting ready to head out for our 9th year with it, and our 15th trip. Hard to imagine not having it around now!
RamblinOn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vintage