Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #1

Where to get Estimated value

Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a used 1992 year Motor Home and was just wondering where to get the proper value for insurance etc...
It seems the NADA guide is not any where close to what is available out on the internet at the various RV trading sites. They also don't list any differences for the various models of this particular brand. All the values are identical for the various model and lengths and all of them list gas as the fuel source and I am buying a diesel pusher.
I know from my truck experience and such that a Cat pusher with an Allison tranny is much more valuable than a gas motor.

Is there a site that is trusted more than others?

Thanks,
Tony
URTHllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I do not know of a reliable value estimation service.

NADA does an arithmetic calculation of value via original MSRP and assumed depreciation.

Lenders still tend to rely on such valuations.

There are a very limited number Motorhomes of each vintage, brand and model sold in a given year, so tracking the transactions would be difficult as a means to establish market value.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by URTHllc View Post
Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a used 1992 year Motor Home and was just wondering where to get the proper value for insurance etc...
It seems the NADA guide is not any where close to what is available out on the internet at the various RV trading sites. They also don't list any differences for the various models of this particular brand. All the values are identical for the various model and lengths and all of them list gas as the fuel source and I am buying a diesel pusher.
I know from my truck experience and such that a Cat pusher with an Allison tranny is much more valuable than a gas motor.

Thanks,
Tony
https://nrvia.org/locate/
lola and i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #4

Value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola and i View Post
https://nrvia.org/locate/
This link is to an Inspector, am I missing something how this has anything to do with Value?
Old 12-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I do not know of a reliable value estimation service.

NADA does an arithmetic calculation of value via original MSRP and assumed depreciation.

Lenders still tend to rely on such valuations.

There are a very limited number Motorhomes of each vintage, brand and model sold in a given year, so tracking the transactions would be difficult as a means to establish market value.
You actually are making a very valid point as to: Lenders still tend to rely on such validations. To be frank any credible RV dealer would use NADA as a guide line for all most all their inventories. About 90% of RV's are finaced in some manner or form, imagine owning a business and one day finding out your inventory is not financealble due to local lending guidelines...

While some may not like that thought process it is what it is.
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #6

Nada shows my 96 Vectra value to be 12,000....I'd be lucky to get half of that on a trade...maybe 8,000 on a private sale. We're going to run it till she blows!!!

The actual price depends on your local market
OldCoastG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:39 AM   #7

The only issue I'm having with the NADA guide is that it list every single model of Hawkins Coaches at 10800 with no mention of features or Propulsion or setup or length. All models can't be equal. Gas vs Diesel is not the same in any RV
Old 01-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
On my 1995 rig, the current value is also the same as all other models regardless of the original MSRP.

It is also much lower than some folks are paying for good condition models of the same vintage.

NADA is not and never has been a good indication of the values of RV's. It has most of the people fooled some of the time.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:23 AM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I would ask my Insurance Agent, if it's all about insurable value. Lots of companies have "replacement value" insurance options and will often let you determine the value up front. Of course the cost of the insurance will increase, but that would solve your problem.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:25 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by URTHllc View Post
Hello,

Thanks,
Tony

PPL shows the price of what Motorhomes have sold for to get an idea.
When it comes to insurance you just need to know how much your insurance company will give you and if that's an acceptable amount of risk. If not, than you can ask to be insured for more up to a point.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #11

Seeing as there is no reliable source for values I would opt for a "stated value" insurance policy as opposed to a "replacement value" policy. The difference is that in a stated value policy you and the insurance company agree what the value you is when you buy the policy. On a "replacement value" policy the insurance company will offer you what they think the replacement value is if you have a loss. At that point you're still going to have to fight with the company to get more than they offer, with a stated value policy you have already decided on the value. That said, look for weasel words in the policy like "the stated value is $50,000 not to exceed replacement value" or something like that. At that point you have a replacement value policy. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote