Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2021, 08:10 PM   #1

Windshield issue

This is my first post, so I'll probably screw it up. I have a 1996 fleetwood southwind. The windshield is two piece. The driver's side is sagging down a little.I first noticed a slight leak on the dash. After closer examination, it is obvious that the glass has shifted in the rubber gasket. I guess that means the adhesive that holds it in place is failing. Any idea what my next move should be. I'm betting the shop's that sell new ones wouldn't fix my old one. Any advice?
treeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 12:09 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry your first post is about problems .

I hate to say it , but your problem maybe deeper that the rubber windshield gasket .
The windshield should have less than 1/4 " of space between the glass and the mounting grove in the rubber , and most times the glass is in the rubber without adhesives or sealants.
I'm not familiar with your year and model of coach , is the front cap fiberglass or metal ?
The windshield mounting rubber , fits over a ridge on the coach front cap , then the glass grove is rolled open , the glass installed , and the round " lock strip " is worked into a cavity on the outside of the rubber to force the rubber tight to the glass.
If you have a lot of movement in the glass the ridge on the cap maybe damaged.

Any chance you could post a picture of the problem?
If the glass has shifted enough to open up a hole between the glass and the rubber , repair is a job for a shop .
Old 05-08-2021, 07:37 AM   #3

Haven't figured out how to post pics just yet. I don't intend to tackle this myself. I was just wondering if a shop would touch it. I'll start calling around next week.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:14 PM   #4

Posting pictures took me about three weeks and numerous tries , when I first entered the forums.

For info on posting from a computer , the link below .

From personal experience .

1. Resize the photo ; 640 pixels works best for me ; too large a format and the site computers will resize and rotate and might even reject.
2. Wait till the attachment box says download complete , before you close it , or your picture is lost in cyber space.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/forum...ics-49134.html
Old 05-09-2021, 04:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeguy View Post
This is my first post, so I'll probably screw it up. I have a 1996 fleetwood southwind. The windshield is two piece. The driver's side is sagging down a little.I first noticed a slight leak on the dash. After closer examination, it is obvious that the glass has shifted in the rubber gasket. I guess that means the adhesive that holds it in place is failing. Any idea what my next move should be. I'm betting the shop's that sell new ones wouldn't fix my old one. Any advice?
I had the same problem with my 91 Eagle. I found a auto glass shop that would work on an RV and had them rest the glass. The cause of the problem is the coach body twists when going over really uneven ground or is leveled incorrectly causing the windshield to shift out of the gasket. Have the glass shop put it back using urethane sealant. It will stay in much longer but this has always been a problem with rubber set windshields.
mike91eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:23 AM   #6

Thank you. Your comment is encouraging, just what I wanted to hear.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:15 AM   #7

Our 93 Vectra didn't have the rubber gasket. And when the windshield settled it was because the body tabs designed to hold the windshield in place were rusted out. But the windshield guy expected it and had a solution.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:49 PM   #8

@treeguy - you might want to check the seals around the marker lights at the top of the cap. If they are leaking, it usually shows up the same way as you described.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:34 PM   #9

I spoke with the glass company today. They said they would try to fix it, but would'nt be responsible if it breaks. I guess that's to be expected, but now I'm worried.I bet them things aren't cheap. Guess it's time to jump in, and see what happens.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeguy View Post
I spoke with the glass company today. They said they would try to fix it, but would'nt be responsible if it breaks. I guess that's to be expected, but now I'm worried.I bet them things aren't cheap. Guess it's time to jump in, and see what happens.
I had both of mine replaced at the factory and with labor it was $4k. Luckily I live in a state where windshield replacement is free with your insurance (not a claim).
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:56 PM   #11

Woo hoo

Dyersburg glass company fixed my problem, and only charged me $140 . I feel like a weight has been lifted. Thanks for all the great feedback. I really like this forum. Need to do more reading and less posting.

Tags
wind, windshield