Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2011, 05:09 AM   #1

would you sell

i have been offered $6700 for my 1985 28 ft southwind there is nothing wrong at all i nit pic everything i have 70,000 miles and 950 hours on gen.
heres the deal my friend has a 1995 fleetwood 35 ft. 31,000 miles it needs tires air bags lp gas regulator ect he said i could have it for $9,000
your thoughts
dave
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
i have been offered $6700 for my 1985 28 ft southwind there is nothing wrong at all i nit pic everything i have 70,000 miles and 950 hours on gen.
heres the deal my friend has a 1995 fleetwood 35 ft. 31,000 miles it needs tires air bags lp gas regulator ect he said i could have it for $9,000
your thoughts
dave

$6700 for a 1985 motor home ? I say jump on it ! $9000 for the '95 is a decent price but, how much are you going to have to spend to get it road ready ?
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
sell and buy.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #4

both are my friends mine has lots of new parts (complete front end ....)
i know the other needs 6 tires (19.5 in) and other work i love mine just wanted to hear from youall
dave
Old 03-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
you'll probably spend more fixing than you think.
whmprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #6

my thought and if fuel injection messes up if it wont pass inspection......
ect. thanks again
Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you're happy with your current rig, and you know its foilbles and have it modded to your satisfaction, why switch?

If you really need the extra room, $9000 for the '95 (in reality, its $10,500 minimum if it needs all new tires) is not bad- however, if air bags are gone, LP is messed up, etc...how well was the rest maintained? Did the PO just drive it until too many things broke?
That's a question only a good inspection can answer.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #8

the owner works with me he was the second owner he bought it that way 3 years ago and used it thet way for one trip and lost intrest in it. i remember when i bought mine i paid too much $8000 4 years ago now thousands dollars and many hours later. i think i better keep what i have
thanks to all dave
Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
the owner works with me he was the second owner he bought it that way 3 years ago and used it thet way for one trip and lost intrest in it. i remember when i bought mine i paid too much $8000 4 years ago now thousands dollars and many hours later. i think i better keep what i have
thanks to all dave
Dave, I look at the time and money that's in my rig and refuse to duit over again PERIOD.
From the top to the bottom and end to end it's mostly new, Dang just the vent fans are about $500.00, New air conditioners that allow me to run both on 30 amps PLUS the charger package (9160) that is perfect..
Yes, I could go on & on but you get the idea...

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
thanks to all dave
That's sorta where we are too - paid $7K for the '88 Winnie 27 foot Super Chief - over book value, but also well over "average" condition - needed a new refrigerator freezing unit and shocks all around, plus various misc. items that added about $1K to the purchase price - but it's still just what we wanted to pull our fishing boat, and use in the frequently smaller CG spaces we end up in.

Like many, much of what we have COULD be bought for a price - but after looking at lots of MH's in our price and size class, it would take quite a bit more than what we have in ours to tempt us!

THEN, we'd just have to start all over looking for another one like it...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #11

10 years for small change?

10 years is a lot of changes in the chassis, smog may not be an issue, most states same rule for both years, so maybe moot point.

The newer chassis will have better everything regarding safety, the engine may or may not be more power.

You get the drift here, newer may be a lot better and the total deal does not look so bad.

Now the details...
Just like any other deal, everything needs to be inspected and evaluated, tires and other "consumables" are moot, they would be needed regardless of other things.

Regulators and other items may not be that expensive.

What is the look and feel of the newer unit?

The old one may be built better in the box, the new one may have particle board, these things are more the deal breaker/maker.

When we were offered our 89 Country Coach for $5k we had to think about it...about 3 seconds.

The first reaction is jump on it, but by taking your time, you may get a better price and be more comfortable, or avoid a mistake.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #12

I'm happy with mine now, but if I could sell for a good price NOW (which I think $6700 is for your's) and then wait a few months for gas to hit $5/gal to buy the replacement!

When we had the last big surge in gas prices 2 years ago I was shopping for my present unit . . . we missed out on a fantastic buy because we didn't jump fast enough . . . a class A easily worth over 20K for only 12 K. I had just started looking and didn't realize how good a deal it was.

Sell high, buy low . . . always good advice!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #13

thanks to all
Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #14

My opinion is a MH with fuel injection is better than a carburated one as far as vapor lock issues are concerned. You'll get better fuel economy and power at higher altitudes with fuel injection. My '93 Bounder with fuel injection had 106K on it and I never did have to do anything with it. Of course your trade issue has a bunch to do with the condition of the newer one. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote