Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bell cellular service in US with no roaming charges

I was checking what Bell had to offer for US travelers today. I have had Tracphone for several years but transmission quality has deteriorated to the point when some calls are almost unintelligible. Saw on the Bell website - fixed rate add on packages for voice and data. What interested me was a $30 / month voice and text package that provides unlimited calling in the US and to/from Canada with no roaming charge on your Canadian phone. Seems to me to be a better deal than the $.10 per minute Tracphone calling so I called and added it to my existing bell cellular account. Has anyone else used this service and is it really as good as it appears or am I missing something??? looks to me it might be a trial plan to attract those that get US sim cards for their Canadian phones when they visit - it is marked as a limited time offer as well.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I dont know about Bell (trying to stay as far away from them as possible), but I know Rogers has a 5$/day, up to 50$/month, option that allows roaming in the US using your usual plan. It's basically the same as if you were using your phone in Canada.

30$/month with no data is not cheap. But it is better than nothing I guess...
JoyalRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #3

Check out Roam mobility. I've been using it for 2 years. You need to get your phone unlocked and buy their sim. Many packages available, no surprises. Works on T-Mobile system in U.S.
crazeecanuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeecanuc View Post
Check out Roam mobility. I've been using it for 2 years. You need to get your phone unlocked and buy their sim. Many packages available, no surprises. Works on T-Mobile system in U.S.
YUP like he said
Old 02-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #5

IMHO Roam is REALLY limited as to service areas and coverage. I've used both Roam and my Rogers phone south of the border.

Hands down, a Rogers phone roaming beats a Roam account.

BTW, all of your data, texting, long distance, everything, follows with the above package. Not with Roam.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
IMHO Roam is REALLY limited as to service areas and coverage. I've used both Roam and my Rogers phone south of the border.

Hands down, a Rogers phone roaming beats a Roam account.

BTW, all of your data, texting, long distance, everything, follows with the above package. Not with Roam.
Well I don't know about that! I travel quite a bit too! All over the world as a matter of fact.

Here is the price comparison chart between All carriers and Roam;

https://www.roammobility.com/compare

Here is the coverage for Roam;

https://www.roammobility.com/coverage

The "like home" roaming thing from Rogers is a bit of catch as with all plans in Canada. Face it, our mobile options are terrible in comparison with US plans. One of the most expensive in the developed world.

Read it all and make your own mind up.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:29 AM   #7

Bell cellular service in US with no roaming charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramichi View Post
Well I don't know about that! I travel quite a bit too! All over the world as a matter of fact.

Here is the price comparison chart between All carriers and Roam;

https://www.roammobility.com/compare

Here is the coverage for Roam;

https://www.roammobility.com/coverage

The "like home" roaming thing from Rogers is a bit of catch as with all plans in Canada. Face it, our mobile options are terrible in comparison with US plans. One of the most expensive in the developed world.

Read it all and make your own mind up.

That cost comparison, if you read the details, is comparing (in my case) Rogers ROAMING prices to Roams fees.

That's comparing Apples to Pineapples. Nowhere near the same thing.

I pay $5 / day to a maximum of $30 / month to extend my unlimited talk-time, unlimited texting, unlimited long distance and 6 GB of data to anywhere in the US. It would cost a BUNCH more than $30 to get that on a Roam phone. The closest Roam has is $39.95 / month and it only includes 2 GB of data per month AND you have to take a minimum of 3 months service to get that price.

The other thing Roam deceives people with in that price comparison is that you're paying for your Canadian cell service whether your using it or it's switched off and you're using a Roam phone.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
That cost comparison, if you read the details, is comparing (in my case) Rogers ROAMING prices to Roams fees.

That's comparing Apples to Pineapples. Nowhere near the same thing.

I pay $5 / day to a maximum of $30 / month to extend my unlimited talk-time, unlimited texting, unlimited long distance and 6 GB of data to anywhere in the US. It would cost a BUNCH more than $30 to get that on a Roam phone. The closest Roam has is $39.95 / month and it only includes 2 GB of data per month AND you have to take a minimum of 3 months service to get that price.

The other thing Roam deceives people with in that price comparison is that you're paying for your Canadian cell service whether your using it or it's switched off and you're using a Roam phone.
I thought you might respond as such. To be clear, I am not advocating Roam as the end all solution, I am simply passing on my opinion and the outcome of my decision for said service.

Yes you will have to pay for your current service over and above Roam however you can reduce it to bare minimum, in most cases $20/month. Your rogers service may be ideal for your needs but you neglect to understand others may not have current Rogers contracts. In addition you have to have Rogers home service to qualify for the new Us Rogers plan. Over all it is a pricey venture. Have a look here at the breakdown of Rogers charges in comparison.

https://www.roammobility.com/blog/co...roaming-plans/
Old 02-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #9

I'm not sure where you got the idea you need anything but a cell account, that's what I have, nothing else, to qualify, it's not the case.

Besides which if you have contract, you cannot cut it back to $20 / month.

The Roam comparison is incorrect also in that it's a maximum of $30 / month, not $50.

They also don't like to talk about data either, see what 6 GB / month costs with Roam, it's included in my $30 / month.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I'm not sure where you got the idea you need anything but a cell account, that's what I have, nothing else, to qualify, it's not the case.

Besides which if you have contract, you cannot cut it back to $20 / month.

The Roam comparison is incorrect also in that it's a maximum of $30 / month, not $50.

They also don't like to talk about data either, see what 6 GB / month costs with Roam, it's included in my $30 / month.
Wow, don't want to get into a pissing match with you but apparently you only like to read and only like to regurgitate information that supports your view.

I am not going to attempt and sway your belief that Rogers is the "best" provider. We own a small company that is in the IT business. We have several devices ranging from mobiles to smart devices to hotspots and have over the years had services with all CANADIAN providers and a few others. It is clear you have made up your mind, I am not going to try and change it, so I will just make a few last points and leave it at that for others that may not have a phone plan of the gods.

Roam data is 2gigs on LTE and over that is unlimited on 2G (which is fine for FB, email and normal surfing).

Rogers base smartphone plan is about $80 plus 30 for your US home plan. Let's just say 100$

Rogers has about 20% of the Canadian mobile market so the other 8/10 people reading this need a viable alternative

Yes you can reduce your plan if you call your provider you just can't cancel your contract. For instance, bell can be reduced to 15$, add in roam's best plan 40$ and it's still less @$55.

I recommend to anyone, buy your device independently factory unlocked and not via a subsidized rate plan whereby you get a phone for "free" as it is useless on other networks. (Some can be unlocked by third parties but can be problematic) Look for a used device on kijiji, something like an unlocked iPhone 4s (prob 150$) will allow you phone calls, texting, email and FB etc.

If you only travel days or weeks at a time, roam will offer that flexibility with day rates.

Lastly, since I use my device primarily in Canada I appreciate good coverage. Rogers doesn't offer that, the service is spotty and in the scope of things is considered #2.

Anyhow, believe what you will. As I always say to anyone that can't see clearly, "I'm wrong, you're right!"

Enjoy!
Miramichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #11

If you have a Tracfone that runs on Verizon the coverage is great. You will find that Montana and SD have very poor cell coverage. Tmobile is one of the worst carriers when it comes to coverage . I have had tracfone (dumb phone) for as long as they have been around . Coverage is very good. I carry a Ting( Sprint) smart phone and it is not great. In the big cities I do get 4G but the Southwest has bad coverage. Verizon coverage on a Verizon phone is superb. Tracfone does not roam on other towers but Verizon does.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #12
hrw

tried roam mobility all over the western states and as aforementioned it runs on t-mobile network. coverage is not very good and and the quality is bad. we use tbay tel in nw ontario which is part of the roger's network. Now, when we leave we prepay the travel saver plan and the phone and data work nearly perfectly on any network. Service as good as home. Overage cost 20 cents a minute, even that is not bad when I can hear the caller. Chucked my Sim cards and ZTE from Roam, will never use them again.
hrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Have used Rogers roam/USA pkg, Tracfone we have settled on the ATT Go phone . we have used it for the last 7 years and found the call quality and cost much better than any of the others, we pay $100.00 for the year this locks our number up for 12 months and then when in the US we get the $5.00 a month international plan that gives you 250 minutes a month to call Canada, I installed the ATT sim card in my Iphone
Old 05-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #14

Track is on Track

I have 2 phones and never a problem not one. Used the system for many years the phones I have are androids 1 for Me and 1 for Mrs . service great but We get new phones every 3 years can't beat them for service found just one place no good Ky. But others say service there is also bad so not just Track Phone..Things change so fast hard to keep up there are other services out there but if Bell is included run ,run,and run they are not a good deal to use at home in Canada or any where. The thieves of phone service...Bushman

Tags
service