Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Heads Up! Have had an e mail from folks that have headed south for the winter. They and others they have spoken to have had more hassle at the border this year. Looking for proof of residency in Canada. Property Tax assessments, utility bills etc. One couple was asked to prove that they weren't going to take up residence in the US. They asked how he was supposed to do that and asked to see a supervisor and where allowed to proceed.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Heads Up! Have had an e mail from folks that have headed south for the winter. They and others they have spoken to have had more hassle at the border this year. Looking for proof of residency in Canada. Property Tax assessments, utility bills etc. One couple was asked to prove that they weren't going to take up residence in the US. They asked how he was supposed to do that and asked to see a supervisor and where allowed to proceed.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Always something new!!! Never came across this.
I'm too old to do this now and do not want to pay hospital bills out of my pocket. They must have had ? some problems in the that direction.
Looks like RV registration and toad registration, and passport, is not enough anymore.
How about prov. healthcare card???

RVgreetings
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #4

I would have thought Canadians with money to spend in the US would be welcomed with open arms.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #5

Kind of funny! When we entered Ontario this year we got hassled and had to go into immigration office. They wanted to make sure that we were there for only a vacation and not staying. I guess they are getting picky in both directions.

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #6

I found a link to the U.S. ports of entry waiting times and curiously enough during same time period it took 35 minutes to cross at Sarnia/Port Huron and only 3 minutes during the same period to cross from Mexico into Arizona at the Andrade/Algodones crossing. I guess there's a bigger problem with Canadians than with Mexicans wanting to sneek in and stay, Haaar!

Joking aside, it can't be a fun job sitting in a little booth freezing your butt off watching folks running to the sun!
Old 10-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #7

Been crossing for 40 years at Sarnia and Windsor and Sombra and Walpole Is. Never any of the problems You speak of. I do have My papper work and all in order I find that is the best way be ready do not have the customs waitting as You dig for Your ID or Pass Port also a tip have the lic.plate of Your toad ready as the camera some times does not see the plate and remove the dark glasses speak when asked and offer a Yes and a thank You that will go a long way.Remember the job is repeditive make a jest to make a man think You think He the Man You respect not the Man You look down on as You get more bees with honey than ...You know the story....Bushman....
Old 11-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #8

An interesting news article in the Sarnia paper this week details that a large group of motorhomes/RV s that were Canadian and I believe predominantly from Ontario were crossing the Bluewater Bridge Sunday en route to Mexico. One of the questions asked had to do with cash being imported and unfortunately 2 of the group failed to disclose more than $30,000 that was stashed in their vehicles. While it is not illegal to import that kind of cash it is at best unwise and perhaps illegal to fail to declare it. Subsequently much of the money was confiscated by the border folks and the people were allowed to continue.It seems that the cash can only be returned to its owners after some "legwork and proof of origin" by the owners. Don't know whether that has been done yet but the story should caution those with over $ 10,000 cash would be wise to declare it......
Ian
Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 AM   #9

Crazzy to carry that cash in Mexico any time what were they needing that much cash for?I go into Mexico and at the most things are cheep new glasses $150.with test,get teeth cleaned for average of $40.or less,all the more reason to have the cash in plastic or checks is no worry about robbery of Your funds.and if there are so meny people going as a group You would think some one would know about the $10,000.00 cash limit at the border...Best to have a US bank account.I think some people are thinking laws are not for them just the rest of Us..Looks good on them just hope the Customs do not think every Canadian is that dumb...lol...I just read where a woman got a drunk driveing charge on a ice rink on th rinks zamboney She had a bottle of Vodka still in Her pocket...lol...She should also have the sign and just glad She never ran any one over that would hurt...Bushman..have a great day..
Old 11-02-2008, 04:42 AM   #10

Hi Bushman! I was thinking there had to be something funny about the cash deal....I know I'd never sleep well with that kind of money around.
Hoping to get away to South Carolina mid week for a while. Plan to leave the trailer there and just commute with the car looking at the $ of diesel.
Ian
Old 11-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #11

Good deal Ian hope You have a good drive I bought a smaller house and working to get it liveable for the Wife.It is a good house all on 1 floor but dated.A money box made of brick just to bedrooms nice 2-1/2 car garage and cement drive We are useing the Bus to stay in as it saves a lot of driveing back and forth.Painting trim now 3 rooms about ready just bath and kitchen left to get completed...Bushman