Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #1

How is the Construction etc this year on I-75 in Detroit???

Last year we crossed at Sarnia. Trip was a bit longer but no construction.

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #2

We went across in Nov. wasn't much of a problem in a car. I-75 is/was closed in both directions we detoured thru Mexican town. In an RV I would consider Sarnia/Port Huron. However, having said that I did see an 5er and a MH going across when I did.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:48 AM   #3

Having just come back to Canada via the Windsor bridge yesterday I would not want to be driving an RV. Two of the turns are very tight, almost 90 degree turns and very narrow 2 lanes at that. Either that, or I'm getting "squeamish" in my old age. I sure was glad I only had a car!!
Old 12-09-2008, 06:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Dont forget the 20 or so red lights before you get to the border.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:55 AM   #5

Isn't that the truth, and like you said they are usually RED.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #6

I was actually thinking of crossing at Detroit this January, but now you got me wondering about that almost 90 drgree turn.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #7

If you have another option other than the Windsor border crossing I would take it. I've crossed there many times in the MH pulling a towed and I would not want to be going over the border at Windsor these days. IMO it's doable in a car but not in an RV of any size.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #8

Thanks Novi, we usually cross at Fort Erie. Just thought a change of scenery would be nice. I did get into a tight spot crossing into N.B at Calis Maine once a few years back. Had to get the grease and shoe horn out to get through.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:52 AM   #9

I sure know what you mean. Fortunately only a couple of times did I have to disconnect the car from the MH to get myself out of a tight spot. Even the best planning goes amuck once in a while. I think your are wise to use the Fort Erie crossing.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:35 AM   #10

Hi All Try crossing at Sarnia I do go that way for the easy on the nerves and a walk in the park and less pot holes and many more reasons 35miles out off the way but worth every mile.Take US-69 west and hook up any road You will want with out Detroit and the broken I-94-to I-75 split good driveing and just as fast in My mind but that is just My .02 Bushman We go after New Years,Motor Home ready hope the weather will be.Bushman
Old 12-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #11

Hi John, are you headed to the south west?
Old 12-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #12

Hi Jim;I think not again that can change but I have friends looking to get away from home and they are in the south.They just bought a new Phathon 42' 4 slides Man oh man I would love to have one I Seen the factory and looked at a few in Red Bay Alabama 2 years ago at the Tiffin plant nice top end unit I am happy for our friends...They earned it that is for sure..A big step for any one these days..I remember buying mine that was a big buy for Me also...I just bought a house again as the apartment was not for Us I need a garage to play in just did a 2 month over-hall and need a few off kitchen is all thats left and lift the garage roof 2 blocks that is come spring..You get this way call and stop in We always have time for a visit or make time...John
Old 12-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #13

42feet with 4 slides!! Man that's a lot of motorhome, must be pure luxury on wheels. I remember you getting the new DP sounds like it has worked out just great for you, glad to hear it. We head to Florida Jan 3 by way of Biloxi for a couple of days. I havn't seen this much snow in years. Glad to have it for Christmas, now it can go. You guys have a good and safe trip and a Happy New Year.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #14

Hey John! How far south you heading this time? We left the trailer in South Carolina and our kids left this morning to use it for a week...then my godson will be another few days and I'll drive down. DW doesn't want to be away so long so she'll fly later in January.....cheaper than the gas to drive back to pick her up!
Ian