Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #1

Hi,
Getting ready to go south and would like to know what are the current rules on taking beef, pork, chicken etc across the US border. Any comments? or suggestions on where to go to find out? Seems like the products/amounts are constantly changing so if someone can help thats great. If not will do some shopping when we get there!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #2

Hi,
Getting ready to go south and would like to know what are the current rules on taking beef, pork, chicken etc across the US border. Any comments? or suggestions on where to go to find out? Seems like the products/amounts are constantly changing so if someone can help thats great. If not will do some shopping when we get there!!
Old 10-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We are also getting ready to go south and as far as I know the only things they dont like crossing are Beef and fruits.

That includes dog and cat food wet or dry that contain beef.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #4

we have always taken chicken, pork, bacon, ham and turkey. Just no beef. Also no fresh fruits(even if they came from the states)and no fresh veggies. I did have onions last yr. no problem. The US border guard last yr. almost took our cat food(wet in pouches) but it was made in the US so he let us bring it back across. Things change daily,could be the person you get to talk to.One yr. they wanted to go in the trailer, and did, just to the fridge, and looked-no problems..I even take eggs, but do know of folks where their eggs were taken away-sometimes you can't win. We are crossing at Port Huron on the 22nd of Oct.(here in Ontario and heading to Arizona..please have a safe trip, and if they take something away, just stop at wally world and get some more..LOL..
Dona

2004 F350/6.0L/turbodiesel/crew-Open Road 359RL3-S5 (2010'Dodge ram 3500 Mega on order)
Dona and Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #5

Agree with forestated "depends on the attitude of the inspector". The beef is still an issue and any pet food should be in the cab withyou so you can readily show them the country of origin.

Today's Toronto news channels are advising Canadians to exchange money PRIOR to crossing as U.S. retailers are squeezing us by claiming they "don't believe" the Canadian dollar is as high as theirs. One retailer in Buffalo was even giving as low as .60 cents on the dollar value for Can. dollars.

Dona & Elvin: We're taking the same route starting Oct 20th. Safe travels to you.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">U.S. retailers are squeezing us by claiming they "don't believe" the Canadian dollar is as high as theirs. One retailer in Buffalo was even giving as low as .60 cents on the dollar value for Can. dollars. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amazing!!!!! Guess there's no business report in the Buffalo Evening News.....????????

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #7

exchanged money at the bank on friday, was delighted to get it even up!
Bstark, have a safe trip! I saw some rain in the forecast for around Joplin next week..We stay at the KOA off 1-44(the liquor store next to the park has a wide selection and cheap-cheap(or at least compared to the LCBO. Maybe we'll run into you some place, someday..
Dona and Elvin

2004 F350/6.0L/turbodiesel/crew-Open Road 359RL3-S5 (2010'Dodge ram 3500 Mega on order)
Old 10-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We make it a rule to let the border officer know that we have a large dog on board. If they are sitting on the fence about entering your rig this usually keeps them in their booth.

This time when crossing the border the officer was going to enter saw the dog changed his mind and told us for next time to have him leashed. Strange request but ok.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:06 AM   #9

I take back what I said in a previous post about food into the US. We crossed at Port Huron on monday the 22nd. They seemed to be checking Everyone. It took us 2 hrs. They started off by taking our lunch! Ham,cheese and salami sandwiches. We were willing to eat it-but they said NO. Had to stand in line for an agri person to check the trailer. They took my eggs(she said avian flu outbreak on a farm in Sask) took a frozen pizza(pepperoni on it) took my fresh garlic,all the cat food,(even tho its a US brand, it says imported by-and not made in the USA, wet and dry, the rest of the salami lunchmeat,hotdogs,wanted to know if we had canned soup(chick or beef)I didn't, but if I had she wanted it(even campbells).Took a package of fully smoked,cooked knockwurst. She was very nice and I didn't argue with her. When I think of beef-its hamburger,steak or roast. She said I had chicken in the freezer, it was cooked, had it not been, she would take it. They are really picky these days.I didn't like the fact only one agent went in the trailer, and we could not watch-had to sit inside the building.Oh well, at least we are in Arizona and not spending the winter shovellingin Shelburne!
Just wanted every one to know..and its hot down here. This past monday and tuesday it was 99f.
Getting the new 5th wheel set up and have already been to the pool!!Don't ya love this retirement thing..
Dona

Old 11-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #10

Hello Donna and Elvin.....doncha know the border guards gotta eat too!!!!!!
Good to here your enjoying your "winter vacation" so soon. Keep us posted, and save some sunshine for me when I hit Texas in January......... Brad

Old 11-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Dona and Elvin.

Felt sympathy for you while reading your story but that changed to envy when you mentioned the weather.

Enjoy your winter. We will shovel the snow for you until late Feb. At that point we will be heading to Mesa.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #12

Good Friday after noon Donna and Alvin.

just wanted to mention the weather farcast for tonight in the Perterborough/Port Hope area tonight..... -06C. do enjoy the temps there........Brad

....oh! your also making $.07 on your Canadian dollar

Old 11-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #13

We crossed over just after Donna and Elvin had been directed over to Agri inspection and were asked a total of three questions and were told to have a good trip. A young no-nonsense guy and he glanced over to the inspection station and saw there was already a trailer sitting there so I guess we owe Donna & Elvin a happy-hour goody or two.

Arrived here in Yuma to hear of another story about a couple who crossed at the "Soo" and were asked to provide proof of medical insurance whereupon inspector took their insurance card to call the provider for verification waaaaasup with that?