RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:54 PM   #1

Hi, will be traveling to Ca from the US this summer. Going to NB then to NS and off via ferry to NL then visit PEI. I wondered if anyone has any tips or suggestions to offer us on our trip. This is our first extended trip with our class C motorhome. Thank you.
mimikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2005, 04:54 PM   #2

Hi, will be traveling to Ca from the US this summer. Going to NB then to NS and off via ferry to NL then visit PEI. I wondered if anyone has any tips or suggestions to offer us on our trip. This is our first extended trip with our class C motorhome. Thank you.
mimikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:39 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brad03ca:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brad03ca:
Hello mimikv: Welcome. Sounds like a beautiful trip about to happen First thing to remember, you'll need lots of time to do all that. For instance NL will require a month itself, to do it right. I would plan my sites ahead of time to insure you have some place to stay. No boondocking in NS The ferry to NL should be booked now. Go to marineatlantic.ca for schedules and rates. If you let us know what you specifically had in mind, we'll do our best to help out. There's just sooo much to see and do. Each province has a multitude of things to experience. Whale watching, hiking,claming, touring, etc come to mind right off hand.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Marine Atlantic This link should get you started </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:53 PM   #4

Hi mimikv: I've made the trip to the maritines several times and still have not seen everything I wanted to, there is a lot to see and do. They have restored Fort Louisburg in NS, it was in National Geographic a few years ago, it is well worth the visit. Halifax has a lot of history Titantic info. and the Halifax harbour explosion and both well done and worth your time. There are many little pubs in the downtown shopping area each with it's own flavour of local entertainment and they are fun in the evening. You can read about the tides but to see them is impressive. Don't hurry your trip in order to see too many things, you will miss too many other things.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:02 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mimikv
I am just in the midst of planning my east coast visit. I only have 2 weeks, so here is my short list of things we will see in NB & NS. Peggys Cove, Hartland Covered Bridge, Magnetic Hill, Reversing Falls, Anne Murray Centre & Mine disaster memorial in Springhill & drive around the cabot trail.
If we run out of time, we will drop off most everything except the lobster feast.
Happy travels.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #6

If you haven't looked at Newfoundland & Labrador Tourism, 'tis time. But you already know the abbreviation for this province is NL.

Among my must sees: Gros Morne National Park In one of the towns within the park boundaries, namely Cow Head is Gros Morne Theatre Fesitival , which is historical theatre.

After spending a good week either north or south of Bonne Bay or a week at each doing boat tours, whale watching, walks...... mosely along (Port aux Choix, Flowers Cover) up the Northern Peninsula and take in L'anse aux Meadows Viking World Heritage Site Make sure you prowl all around that end of the NP, St. Anthony, Dark Tickle..... Of course you can mosey back down too.

Now, IMHO Gros Morne has got Cape Breton Highlands Park and the Cabot Trail beat many times over. Geeze people who been there talk about 'doing the Cabot Trail' by driving. ????? that's travelling?????

There are lots of other places in NL that are well worth the trip. This is a big island.

Labrador is a trip in itself. On my agenda for next year. Minimum 3 weeks for (outline) doing a loop ferry: St. Barbe -&gt; Blanc Sablon road -&gt; Cartright, ferry -&gt; Happy Valley/Goose Bay road-&gt;Labrador City with sattelite phone on board -&gt;QC, then to Baie Comeau (I believe) with ferry to Gaspe Peninsula, from whence I will probably make miles to N. Sydyney ferry & home.

St. John's is a very historic city. Pippy Park is good as a city campground. One of the most important must sees IMHO is Cape St. Mary's Bird Sanctuary. This includes several islands, off-shore a few feet. You sit on a sunny meadow bank in awe of all the thousands of birds. June is the best time for this.

Pursue at your leisure.

Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:32 PM   #7

my 2 cents.

You will be disappointed with Magnetic Hill(also find it a bit of a challenge in a MH), in Peggy's cove you will want to visit the Swiss Air 111 memorial.

Fort Louisburg you will find very good, LOBSTER fest (Pictou County) is awesome.

Overall, if you are trying to do NS, NB, PEI and the Rock, in 2 weeks, you will not have enough time.

I once spent a week going from Halifax then around Cape Breton(alway keeping the ocean on my right) and back to Halifax.

PEI will be 40$ to get on and off, and the ferry from Sydney to Port-au-Basque, will cost an arm and a leg(not to mention takes 6 hours or so).

I applaud your initiative, but think that you might want to check your distances. I recommend calculating your traveling times using 55 Mph, or 80 Kmh as most roads are small, narrow and throw more curves than spring training.

You will love every minute of it though. When in Halifax, find a pub on the water called "The Lower Deck" go in around 1 pm and get a seat for the matinee(it starts at 3pm - standing room only after 2pm). The show is great. Remember that the draft is 5% or better, and the food is great. But stay for the matinee.

Enjoy - if you have any questions, I lived there from 97-01, moving back soon, gotta hate work.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:33 PM   #8

Sorry Big Kid, where do you get the idea that mimikv has only two weeks for these four provinces. S/he does not say so in the original post

But you know, a quick source for sizes is this:

11. http://www.mapquest.com/atlas/?region=nwbrnwck 73,439 sq km

12. http://www.mapquest.com/atlas/?region=novascot 55,490 sq km

13. http://www.mapquest.com/atlas/?region=peisland 5,659 sq km

10. http://www.mapquest.com/atlas/main.adp?region=newfound 405,719 sq km
http://www.gov.nf.ca/nfld&lab/area.htm
* Area of the Island of Newfoundland - 111,390 sq km
* Area of Labrador - 294,330 sq km

Maine: http://www.mapquest.com/atlas/?region=maine = 86,156 sq km

Oh, yeah, numbers to the left for each province is it's ranking in size for provinces and territories.

OK does that give you an idea of the sizes of these places. Hope you can copy and paste the urls.

Old 06-02-2005, 01:46 AM   #9

I believe charges only apply when you come off the island, Big Kid

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:14 AM   #10

Brad is correct re. toll charges for PEI.

Some say that the ferry is more costly than the bridge. Not for me. I have a TC. Length makes difference for many things in this world.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:20 PM   #11
GLD

This is mimikv other half (don't know if it is better half or not) we have already send 3 weeks in Nova Scotia and loved it. This time we will be spenting 8 days in NS, 12 days in NB, 5 days in PEI and 13 days in NL.
GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:25 PM   #12

Yep ya got me, I knew it was one way, and miscommunicated it. I should have said round trip - they get you just on the ramp onto the bridge no way around it. The charge extra if you tow a trailer across(by axle)

I haven't been there since I was a scout leader for the 2001 CJ (14000 kids in a circular area a mile across)

It was DJK who said they only had 2 weeks.

I spent 4 years stationed in Shearwater Nova Scotia as a flight instructor on Sea King Helicopters. Probably moving back in the next posting cycle.

I found it very difficult to travel and try to see as much as I could just due to the fact that no road goes in a straight line to somewhere, and you always go slow.

You will love the trip, but wish you spent more time.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote