Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #1

Calgary Stampede information and helpful hints requested

I don't know if this is the proper board for asking this, but here goes. We have reservations July 14-20 for the Calgary Stampede at Calgary West CG. I haven't purchased tickets to events yet. I welcome any and all suggestions to keep us busy in Calgary. This will be our 2nd trip with the 5er into Canada. We're getting our passport cards next month. We've been reading the Welcome to Canada website some already.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #2

Once you are settled find the location of the nearest LRT station & use the LRT system to get you to the Stampede grounds & downtown.

There will be a lot of activities downtown on Stephens Avenue (8th avenue S) especially at the square across from city hall.

I suggest you pre-purchase tickets for one of the evening chuckwagon races & one of the afternoon rodeo events... more if you are really into rodeo.

Have fun Eh!
geeksrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up Stampede

we went every year (75 - 79) for ONE whole day...
We loved the evening entertainment (starts at 7pm) and the Chuckwagon races....
Lots of RVers are there.... it's a BIG event!!!

Enjoy
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #4

We are planning to attend the rodeo and chuckwagon races each of the last 4 days, is this too much? Redundant?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 01-28-2010, 05:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
We are planning to attend the rodeo and chuckwagon races each of the last 4 days, is this too much? Redundant?
IMHO: last 4 days for the rodeo - OKAY; TOO much for the chucks

Eh!
geeksrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksrus View Post
IMHO: last 4 days for the rodeo - OKAY; TOO much for the chucks

Eh!
with the sun or rain hitting you all day... the LAST DAY is "enuff"
They give all the MONEY away on the last day. I could not sit or walk thru 2 days.... We rather sit at Dining Table now and have a COLD one...

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
there is lots to see and do in Calgary and area
agree - only so much of the Stampede (but that could be me)
very friendly city and easy to get around
you are also real close to the mountains
Enjoy!
peter
Old 05-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #8

Hi - the Calgary West CG has a downtown shuttle to the Glenbow Museum - the Stampede grounds is two 'C-Train' stops south. Four days of chuckwagon races is a lot. I would do one chuckwagon and maybe two rodeos... Usually, at the Saddledome (where the hockey team plays), there are a lot of big name concerts during Stampede. Have fun!
astonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #9

To enjoy the chuckwagons google "half mile of hell" an excellent site!!
walkingplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #10

Thanks for the advice everyone! We have tickets in hand for rodeos and chuckwagon races, on alternating days of course-I'm a leettle-bit old ya-know. The CG has a shuttle service that does the driving for us for the events. When we head for the bright lights of Calgary we will take the train until after the Stampede is over.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #11

Thanks to everyone who advised me about visiting Calgary and Stampede week! We had a terrific time, but were unprepared for the sheer size of Calgary.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #12

Thanks to everyone who advised me about visiting Calgary and Stampede week! We had a terrific time, but were unprepared for the sheer size of Calgary. W live in the country, nearest town is about 56,000, including college students. Calgary is over 1 million people!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Size?

Hi Ray, it's just getting too big! Vancouver area has over 2 Millionen
We came in 75 to Alberta...
Edmonton about 280,000
Calgary maybe 300,000
and see those 2 cities now???

The traffic in THESE towns is just too much for me