Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #1

Canadian RV'ers

Hi folks,
Just want to know if there are canadian fulltimer out there. Seemingly, most fulltimer are Americans. I want to know why Canadians don't consider rving as their life style. Are there problems involve in doing so?
Any thoughts/ideas/opinion will be highly appreciated especially for those fulltimer or even partimer out there.
And if someone out there is a Canadian fulltimer, would you like to share how you do things from the beginning to present. I just want to get a picture of my future in rving. Your help would be great. Thanks.
MARANATHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We travel a lot (for many years), but we have not met any FT...We are just getting ready to go FT... Right now I try to get rid of "stuff" and in 11 month DW will retire
and we will be Fulltimers as soon as the house is sold.... (in a few weeks?????), until that time we will just do short trips ( DW working schedule permitting - Airline).
Since the Canadian winters are not that HOT, we will hang around Vancouver this next winter and after full retirement of DW it's in warmer climates south of the 49.
Summer of course on the north side. Maybe one day we will meet a Canadian Fulltimer!!!
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #3

Goods morning, there a lots of full time RVers in Canada but not near as many as you will find in the USA, which makes sense, there are fewer of us. We do have some issues depending on which province you are from. In Ontario campgrounds close in the winter and open in April I believe. If you winter in the south and come back in April before the CG's, open where do you stay? or if they are open they can be cold, wet, soggey grounds. If you leave Canada say by Oct 1 you need to be back in Canada by the end of March. You can be out of Canada for 6 months and the onus is on you, not the authorities, to prove it if you are challenged. If you stay longer than 6 months in the USA you can run into problems with the Americans also, tax wise as you may be deemed a resident and owe taxes. Each province has it's own limits on how long you can be out of Canada and still maintain your health coverage. You will also need a permanent address for many things. Since 911 many things have changed in Canada as well. There are more restrictions and checks than there used to be. These issues do not mean you cannot do it but you have to beaware of them and make arrangements. There are many other things that I have not touched on these are just a few to be aware of. Happy RVing.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Take a look here.
RV Living.net: The information site for ALL RVers from Newbies to Part Timers to Fulltimers Too!
They are from Ontario and have been full time for many years.
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #5

Yes I met them at a Flying J truck stop one evening in London Ontario with some other fulltimers. They are very knowledgeable and very well travelled.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #6

Hi Again,
Thanks for all your inputs. What ERS, travel Insurance or medical/dental insurance you folks are using. Are they all the same?
MARANATHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARANATHA View Post
Hi folks,
Just want to know if there are canadian fulltimer out there. Seemingly, most fulltimer are Americans. I want to know why Canadians don't consider rving as their life style. Are there problems involve in doing so?
Any thoughts/ideas/opinion will be highly appreciated especially for those fulltimer or even partimer out there.
And if someone out there is a Canadian fulltimer, would you like to share how you do things from the beginning to present. I just want to get a picture of my future in rving. Your help would be great. Thanks.
We canadians love to full time but we are waiting for retirement which is about a yr away. I would go today lol but that is plans and we have been preparing for it with our new fifth wheel.
mrsdieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #8

Many we met in Canada use Wayfarer's insurance and were very happy with it. We used Good Sam for ERS for 18 years and it worked as advertised in the USA or Canada. As for out of province health insurance I am a member of the Ontario Quarter Century Club for retired provincial employee. We have a group deal with Johnson Insurance that is very good but you can't get it unless you know someone or you are in the QCC. So I can't advise you much in that regard.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Hi, we are just starting out full timing and at our local RV park there are about 10 full-timers. We have known some for three years now and have learned lots about the new lifestyle. Our Devon Lions Park has about 60 "Seasonal" sites and many of these are folks who spend the summers here and the winters where it is easier to survive! !
Our plan is to head south in the fall, maybe tour the south for the winter and come 'home' here in the spring. Then tour Canada for the summer, back home here in the fall then south again.
Presently up to our ears in emptying the house [it has sold] the 'valuable stuff' to the kids, garage sales, give away, donate to charities, trips to the dump, sell the smaller 5th and truck, complete outfitting the new truck, move in to the new 5th and, - -uh - - enjoy life!!
Will then have more time to forward info.

Alex (Agey)
Old 05-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #10

Many Canadians do not understand the rules for health coverage. If you lived in say Saskatchewan and decided to full time the rules state that you cannot be out of the Province for more than 183 days. Note I did not say out of the country!! So if you winter in AZ for 5 months and then return to Canada you will be able to visit the rest of Canada for a measly one month! One will also not be able to purchase out of province health coverage for more than the 6 months. Every province is slightly different but the 183 day rule is common. That is one of the reasons you do not see more Canadian fulltimers.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for that input Moisheh. I will have to check further on the 183 day out of province regs.
Hope to be in to the 5th early in June, with all the sale and donation of 'material things' completed. That will be a big relief, and we are sure looking forward to the day.

Alex
Old 05-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I am one of those who do NOT fully understand the health care.
So if I am out of my home province for more than 6 months out of the calendar year, I would not have coverage in other Canadian provinces. By coverage I assume it is meant to mean that I would not be covered for any cost above which would be paid out in my home province. I still would have coverage for the majority of the cost in other Cdn provinces. If I have this correct, then it seems to me that is not that bad. I would assume the cost of health care across the country must be pretty close, or am I way out in left field here.
I do not consider us full timers yet, but we travel about 9 months out of the year. Still have a home to go to in BC. We are currently in St. John's and will not be back in BC till August. We normally winter in Mexico just North of Puerto Vallarta.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #13

Dave:

Please understand that I in no way meant to underestimate your understanding of the regs. They are so convoluted that even a lawyer would have difficulty. To make things worse every province has different rules. Most choose not to enforce them as the political backlash would be devastating. One provincial health minister even said it was a dont ask , dont tell policy. Here is how it is supposed to work. You were incorrect. Being out of your home province for the 183 days ( more in some provinces) removes ALL of your health coverage. Even in your home province. You then have to reapply for coverage and there is a waiting period. Provinces with NDP governments seem to take a very strict attitude in these matters. Think about this: You have worked hard all your life. Saved some $. Now you want to enjoy life as a snowbird and travel Canada in the summer. How can they deny you health coverage?? Just seems so wrong!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:09 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Moisheh
Thanks for your help here, it is appreciated. I had always thought we had coverage as long as we were in Canada. Now I find out that is not the case. That is good to know. One point of clarification. Is it 183 days per trip or 183 days per calendar year.
Is there a company that sells insurance if one wants to travel in Canada, but out of home province for more than the 183 days that you know of?

Thanks
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote