Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2021, 06:59 PM   #1

Canadian Snowbird looking for a Winter phone plan

It seems every year I go through the same search for the best option for a phone plan while travelling in the US. My current provider Bell offers some options but not really great plans. Looking for any suggestions to either use my existing iPhone and number or purchase a US phone and pay as you go plan like Net 10 or Trac Phone. I need voice, text and at least 15GB data. Thanks in advance.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2021, 08:21 PM   #2

Jim we've used a tracfone on verizon towers for over 12 years that's served us well purely for phone calls. $100 per year and minutes roll over upon each year renewal. With COVID keeping us out since 2019, we now have untold minutes and hubby and I have discussed trying to use up as much as we can on next long trip but then do away with it if possible.

We are with Bell and their pricing is wacky to say the least compared to US based phone plans as well, we have problems when adding on data packages that they don't connect us to roaming towers that are prevalent to the area. For example in Sarasota Fla, it's really AT&T but they always used T-Mobile in a built up area and we had no data or phone service often because no T-Mobile. They ended up refunding us the extra charges but ....... didn't really help when there.

We did use a Verizon Mifi for data, with verizon being king down there, and that worked awesome the first year but when you return to Canada after 3 months they block your account. On returning trips neither verizon nor best buy could start it back up again, and for 2 consecutive years they ended up giving us a replacement MIFI free of charge (first time new, second time a used one) to get us connected.

Our thoughts going forwards albeit as with all services we read very mixed reviews is to try Visible. We can upgrade our iPhone and it would have dual sims with the option to just use the QR code for the second sim, when signing up which appeals. Also at $25/month (everyone can join a group of others easily) unlimited, albeit throttled at times, as a verizon reseller it's quite appealing.

There are a lot of options and it appears that AT&T works better in some areas than Verizon. T-Mobile for many of our friends hasn't performed that well we've been told in many areas. There's a lot of options in Walmarts for pay as you go as well using resellers - ask in the area you are travelling in what is the main service provider with most towers and try to get on that service.

Do come back and share what option you end up going with Jim and why for others benefit as well.

Happy Travels.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:08 PM   #3

we swap sim cards for AT&T when crossing over 50 dollars 10 gigs and unlimited text and calling can add on extra data if required also put our regular service on vacation with telus
tombottcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:16 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just switched to Simply Connect and use our existing phones. They have a Canada USA plan for $130 bucks for 2 users and you keep the same phone number. The plan doesn’t have a ton of minutes or data but we got double thru our MMRO membership.
We will get to test it out when we head south next month. Hope it works.
gimblerotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:14 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use this from Verizon https://www.visible.com/ cost is $25/month and we get unlimited calling, texting and data. Use your existing phone, if it's unlocked. Metro (T-Mobile) has just started advertising its $25 plan as well.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:08 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for your input.
I have found a US provider, Mint Mobile offering a Free SIM card for my iPhone, Unlimited calling back to Canada and throughout the US, Unlimited text and 15 GB Data @ $25/month. The bonus right now is a Black Friday special of 3 additional months FREE.
The only issue is that they will not mail a SIM card to Canada! Fortunately I have someone in the US who will forward it to me.
Your replies have been appreciated.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:59 AM   #7

I have used telus for many years as a trucker, I have a North America plan that gives me unlimited talk/text all thru the US and Canada and I also pay for 60Gb of data (as a trucker I dont always get to stay in truck stops and I like to watch TV lol). I pay just over $200/month but if you dont need that much data....it will be less
TravelnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have been unable to find any kind of Canadian plan for US use as the roaming charges alone are atrocious, I have talked frequently with TELUS and their loyalty people they are unable to come up with anything that is realistic compared to a US sim card which is what I use at all in cost of $49.00 a month unlimited talk/txt Ca. US. Mex. inclusive
oilcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan View Post
I have been unable to find any kind of Canadian plan for US use as the roaming charges alone are atrocious, I have talked frequently with TELUS and their loyalty people they are unable to come up with anything that is realistic compared to a US sim card which is what I use at all in cost of $49.00 a month unlimited talk/txt Ca. US. Mex. inclusive
Hello Oilcan,
Canadian providers are totally unreasonable in their plans.
Check out "Mint Mobile". $25/month, unlimited talking text 15GB data.
We are currently using it and it works great.
The only issue is that they will not mail a SIM card to Canada so you need to use a general delivery address and pick up or send to a friend in the US and get they to re-mail to you.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:24 AM   #10

The best I've found so far (pre Starlink) is Maple Wifi. They use the big three in Canada (Rogers, Bell, Telus) and AT&T in the US. It's truly unlimited high speed and includes free roaming in the US. At $159 a month it really can't be beat for true unthrottled unlimited internet in both the US and Canada.

Tags
bird, phone, winter