RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Guns to Canada

I am hoping to take our coach across the border and visit our neighbors in Canada. From what I am hearing Canada is very strict when it comes to bringing a firearm in. If I am reading their "Non-Resident Firearm Declaration" correctly, an M1 rifle having a 24" barrel is an acceptable "Restricted Firearm" but the magazine is limited to holding only 5.
Can anyone confirm or clarify this?

James
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 06:58 AM   #2

ask Canadian Customs. I would not bet on it.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
ask Canadian Customs. I would not bet on it.

X2! Go to a reliable source for info, not an Internet forum.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
www.cfc.gc.ca

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...sf5044-eng.pdf

The M1 is not a restricted firearm in Canada. All semi automatic rifles in Canada are limited to a 5 round magazine and the magazine must be pinned. Handguns are not permitted to be imported by non residents except under strict conditions (LE-competition, etc.)

Unless you are going to be boon-docking in some isolated area, leave the gun at home. Also, animal repellant is legal, but pepper spray for pests of the 2 legged type is prohibited.

We carry a shotgun in our MH, but when going south we just leave it at home, it isn't worth the trouble.
Rgds/Brian
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 09-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We do boondock and hopefully this trip will involve remote areas. Of course, the simplest thing would be leave the firearm at home but our coach is home and it would be a hassle to rent storage in one location and be required to reenter the states at that same location to retrieve.
also, what do you mean by a pinned magazine?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If you are reentering the states at the same place you crossed the border into Canada then you can safe store (for a cost) at a firearms sales place where you cross over. Just go back and pick it up when you return.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
A rifle magazine must not be capable of holding more than 5 rounds. So the magazine must either come from the factory with a 5 round capacity or be altered by a gunsmith in a permanent fashion as to not to hold more than 5 rounds. If boon-docking and looking for bear protection or other 2 legged pests, I suggest leave the M1 at home and bring a Winchester defender or similar shotgun with slugs. A .30 will just annoy a grizzly.
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 09-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Grizz don't bother me, its the other 2 legged pests that I need protection from. I cannot purchase another firearm on the road but only from my home state of Florida, 1500 miles away, therefore I have to do with what I have.
So far it sounds like as long as I declare my M1 and have my magazines professionally pinned to take only 5 shells I should be ok?
Old 09-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are bringing it up for "2 legged" pests you are thinking about the wrong country. Unless you are talking about ducks and geese. Need a hunting licence for them.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, as long as permanent in nature not to hold more than 5 rounds.
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 09-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Its not a matter of bringing it up, its a matter of already having it and needing to comply. If I can comply then I don't have the hassle of storage and the need to recollect it later. Was hoping to enter Canada in the East and travel West.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #12

Look around and see of you can order a 5 round magazine. If not pin 1 and send the rest home if you have extras.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
M1 Carbine Magazine 5/15 Rounds

This will comply
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 09-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
Grizz don't bother me, its the other 2 legged pests that I need protection from. I cannot purchase another firearm on the road but only from my home state of Florida, 1500 miles away, therefore I have to do with what I have.
So far it sounds like as long as I declare my M1 and have my magazines professionally pinned to take only 5 shells I should be ok?

Don't know where in Canada you plan on travelling, but in 40 years of travelling, not just camping, coast to coast in Canada I've only heard of 2 instances of '2 legged pests' being a problem, the most recent one was in 1982.

I'm not convinced a long gun is the best choice for personal defence either, not unless you plan on hitting them over the head with it.

Tags
ada