Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

Newfoundland and Labrador

We are on our third week in Newfoundland. The people here are friendly as Newfoundlanders always are. We have been invited into several peoples houses, as well as offered free parking spots on private land. We saw many whales on this trip. St Vincent beach was great, as well as many at Cape Spear. Icebergs are spread out this year, but we managed to find three in the bay at Kings Point. The Iceberg Finder website is very helpful. We have hit most of the spots including St. Johns for three days at Pippy Park. We came across today on the ferry to Labrador. The cost for a 65 ft rv and toad with four adults was around 120 cdn. We will spend a few days here, then head back across to take in more icebergs at St. Anthony. The Viking village at L'Anse aux Meadows is on the list before we head back to southern Nfld. A few stops in Gros Morne National Park are on the list. We have another week, then back to the mainland for another month in the Maritime Provinces. We are swinging through Maine on our way home to Ontario. This is my second time to Nfld, and my fourth time to the Maritimes. Cant seem to get enough. Cheers
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #2

We enjoyed the same experiences! Have you been "Screeched in" yet? It make you an honorary Noofie. We have our certificates framed and on a wall.
I hope you found time to attend the Royal Tattoo in Edinburg, where you may also tour the cemetery where decedents from the Titanic are buried.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #3

Will look into it. Thx
Old 07-28-2019, 09:02 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was stationed at Argentia NAS where the ferry came in from Nova Scotia. Google maps shows a variety of different entities now there since the base was decommissioned in the '90's, including the "Sunset RV Park" on or near the site where the 10 story BOQ used to be. Not sure I'd make the trek from NM to return there but it was an interesting place to be stationed at with lots of WWII history and artifacts around. Being a radio guy, Marconi's Cabot Tower at Signal Hill monument in St. John's was the place I wanted to see.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #5

spent lots of time in nfld and labrador...daughter was born in goose bay..are u going through nova scotia on way to maine..im in nova scotia at a lovley seasonal park
Old Heli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #6

if ur looking for a place in the annapolis valley for a day or two just minutes from the oldest town in north america come on down...see ur from muskoka area...used to have a cottage just north of orilla on lake couchaching..be safe..
Old Heli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
A trip the DW and I both have on our bucket list.

What was the ferry cost from the mainland? How long was the trip? What did you do to kill the time?
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post

What was the ferry cost from the mainland? How long was the trip? What did you do to kill the time?
Current ferry schedules and rates: https://www.ferries.ca/
All ferry boats/ships have lounges, restaurants, the long run ferries(Newfoundland) have cabins for rent. No entertainment, bring your own.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
I was stationed at Argentia NAS where the ferry came in
Did you happen to see any of the racing that use to go on at the base?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12009646_10205159761822709_8846474591956241326_n.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	255574   Click image for larger version

Name:	11225304_10205159790743432_1805528476122582310_n.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	255575  

Old 08-05-2019, 08:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Heli View Post
spent lots of time in nfld and labrador...daughter was born in goose bay..are u going through nova scotia on way to maine..im in nova scotia at a lovley seasonal park
We spent three days in Halifax taking in Buskerfest. We took a midnight cruise on a tall ship in Halifax harbour. We are now in the Wolfville area for three days. My daughter has friends here, so we are going to check out the tidal bore and Burntcoat Head tomorrow. We are then heading for the Cabot Trail for three days. Cheers
Old 08-05-2019, 08:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post

We were 65 ft with tow vehicle. The price with four adults was $670 Cdn. We took the night ferry over, as the day ones were booked. It screwed up our sleep for a few days. I wouldn't recommend the night ferry unless you have no choice. Take warm clothes as it got a bit cool in the lounge area at night. They have recliner chairs like an airplane in the lounge. They have three televisions you can watch, but you need headphones or earbuds to hear them. You can get a cabin if you book ahead, or some are available. The short ferry that we took was roughly six hours. There is a longer ferry that is fourteen hours. We had pets travelling with us, and it would be too long for them to be in the rv alone. They have a pet care area you can check them into if you want to. We just left the stereo on and closed the curtains. They were fine for six hours. On the trip back, we took the day ferry. We saw many schools of porpoises. It pretty much takes up a whole day to do the ferry. I would highly recommend the Arm of Gold Campground in Nova Scotia for pre and post ferry rides in Nova Scotia. We left one rv there, and took only one to Nfld. The cost to store the rv and tow car was only $5 per day.On Nfld, the Grand Codroy Rv Camping Park is excellent. It came recommended by other campers we met on the island. It is absolutely one of the nicest rv parks on the island. You even get free firewood for your fire pit.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #12

After returning to the mainland, I would say the trip was spectacular. We saw many whales and icebergs. I would personally say the trip over to Labrador was a bit of a bust. We got lucky, and the ferry ride over and back was fairly smooth. We have heard from others who were not so lucky, and seasickness was a common thread. When we got off the ferry, people were flagging us down and warning us not to go on the 510 highway through Labrador to Quebec. We had no intention of doing it anyway. We met several other large rvs who had came the 1700 kms through gravel roads. They all said the same thing. DONT DO IT. The whaling village was moderately interesting, but nothing to see there except a small museum. The blackflies were terrible. The only rv park we found was a small off level gravel yard at the local hotel. Sorry Labrador, but all in all I got to give you a gentle thumbs down. Others may not agree, but to each their own.