Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ontario Drive Clean and gas RVs

Well, it finally happened. I brought my '05 Winnebago (8.1 Workhorse) in for the e-test today and it failed. This unit is well maintained and has always passed up to now. It failed on the idle HCO reading, 200 ppm limit with a reading of 217. On the high speed test, same 200 ppm limit was actually 67. There are no codes set on OBDII.

The tech is saying take it out on the 401 and flog it for about 50 kms before I bring it back for the retest.

For all of this I get to pay $96 for the failed test and another $50 for the retest. Not to mention the fuel I'll use cruising around back and forth up and down the 401 and my time.

Sorry to vent but this really has me upset. A stupid useless test and a cash cow for the government. I hardly ever drive the darn thing in Ontario other then the 40 kms to get to the border to head south.

Anyone else having these issues with their gas powered rigs?
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #2

I didnt vote for Premier 2 Moms, but it seems most of Toronto did.......It is the centre of the universe you know, and they know best....
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #3

Well at least we don't pay taxes on our rigs like some places south. Thousands a year.... When I deal with the government I all ways put my hands over my head and prepare for some pickpocketing.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
I didnt vote for Premier 2 Moms, but it seems most of Toronto did.......It is the centre of the universe you know, and they know best....

The election's over, it's history.

Speaking of history, Ontario's Drive Clean was brought in by Mike Harris as part of No Sense Revolution.

Now, as for the failed test, the highway run is a good plan, but get a bottle of Methyl Hydrate and add it in first. I've also heard good things about "Guaranteed Pass" (available from Chinese Tire) but I've never personally used it, a friend did and it did it's job. I'm told that on a chassis with a very long exhaust system the test is thrown off by the lack of air flow at low RPM's.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You should move North of Renfrew County and you do not need the test. LOL.
Such a joke.
I thought they no longer hooked up to the exhaust, and just plugged into the OBD? Or is that only for cars?
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:43 AM   #6

'Heavy duty' and certain specialty vehicles like non-North American spec vehicles get the sniffer test in the tailpipe.

BTW, the whole reason they got away from the dyno test was that they want to extend the test to the whole Province. With the new test all that is required is a laptop and an internet connection.

Unfortunately that means a whole bunch of 'clean' vehicles will fail for purely software related issues.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Update

Well, I put a can of Sea Foam through the intake via a vacuum port (really smoked the neighbours out), changed the oil, used up the 3 month old gas. Went in yesterday for the retest after gassing up and getting it good and hot and I passed with flying colours. The idle speed HCO reading went from 217 to 101 ppm (200 ppm limit) . So the moral of the story is put a can of Sea Foam through the intake before going for a smog test.
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
B.C. tossed out Air-Care....
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #9

Well not really.

Air-care is now being used for transport and long haul trucks.

I have been told that vehicles may now have to go through inspections every so many years and still have a obd reading done. And if it is to have a catalytic converter on it they could fail you.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Air care in BC was a stupidity after the first few years. How nice was it for them to take the 23 dollar test annually and graciously let us take the test once every two years for the value price of 46 dollars. LOL Same money, half the tests, brilliant in it's greed. Most cars were passing. At least they never bothered RV's.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary N. View Post
used up the 3 month old gas. Went in yesterday for the retest after gassing up and getting it good and hot and I passed with flying colours.So the moral of the story is put a can of Sea Foam through the intake before going for a smog test.
Fresh fuel was probably most of the improvement; after as little as 3 weeks gas starts to de-grade; , and you want to make sure you've had a good highway run before the test, to clear the cat/conv. out . Notes for next year.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #12

Agreed I don't like air-care one bit.

My other car fail there test and I could not bother to go get the car retuned with hp tuners. So now I just throw a permit on every now and then to drive it for a day or two,then back to collecting dust.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #13

You're lucky you don't live in Ontario, out here you are only allowed 2 temporary licence stickers a year, vehicle or registrant. So if you have 2 cars it's only 1 each per year.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #14

Yup that would not be good for me

Tags
gas, rvs