RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #1

Ontario Licence Requirements

The topic of Ontario Licence Requirements came up in a Motorhome post. I thought it might be worth sharing the information in the Canada Specific Forum so all of us Locals might be better informed. Note anyone with vehicles registered outside of Ontario, you are required to meet the regulations of your jurisdiction while travelling through Ontario.

I recently learned that many of us may not be driving with the proper licence for our rigs, myself included. I am driving a Fleetwood Bounder which the dealer told me I can safely drive with my G Licence... They did not exactly lie they just omitted to tell me that as soon as I hooked up my Toad I needed a D Licence.

The information is available on the MTO website but there are four likely scenarios where the RV community in Ontario are driving without the proper licences and face potential legal and insurance challenges:

1) A motorhome over 24,000lbs. Most Diesel pushers and some gassers will exceed this weight and will require a D licence. If they have airbrakes then you also require a Z endorsement. Adding a toad exacerbates the problem. If you are using a car carrier and it’s GVWR exceeds 10,000lbs you will require an A Licence.

2) A Motorhome under 24,000lbs towing a trailer or toad under 10,000lbs where the total weight exceeds 24,000lbs. This would include most gassers pulling a toad. Note this is dependant on the GVWR not the actual weight. Anything on the F53 Chassis will be over as soon as you tow your kids little red wagon. This situation will requires a D Licence.

3) A Fifth Wheel combination where the weight of the trailer exceeds 10,000lbs and the total weight exceeds 24,000lbs. This is going to be your truly big rigs. If your total weight exceeds the 24,000lbs limit you require an A Licence. If your set up has airbrakes then you also require the Z endorsement if not then you can pass with a “Limited” A.

4) Any Pickup truck and travel trailer combination where the trailer exceeds 10,000lbs requires an A Licence... This one was the most surprising to me as I think many of the larger TT’s have GVWR that exceed 10,000lbs.

Hopefully this info gets to you before your purchase and more importantly before any of us find ourselves running afoul of the regulations.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #2

Everyone should look closely at the requirements in their province. In Saskatchewan and trailer that weighs more than 10,141 lbs (4,600 kg - weight of trailer and contents) you need a class 1 or heavy trailer endorsement (G). The G endorsement requires a three part written test, a road test, a medical and vision test. Doesn’t take much to be over 10,141 lbs these days!

And don’t just ask someone who sells insurance (we were given incorrect information). You need to go to the source and find out what is really needed.
Slapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:14 AM   #3

Beware when going to the source I was told wrongly that all I had to do was take a written test & obtain a learner permit then I could drive by dealer, insurance agent and DMV twice at different offices. Something did not seem right so called DMV in Victoria and found out info given was incorrect and needed to have full licence before driving unaccompanied.

In BC any tow-able RV above 4600kg requires either

Code 07 house trailer this does not include toy hauler or boat (No Air on trailer or vehicle)

Code 20 Heavy Trailer (No Air on trailer or vehicle)

Class 3 (No Air on trailer or vehicle)

Class 2 (large bus) (No Air on trailer or vehicle) This one seemed to be a grey area so I would get something in writing from Victoria

Class 1 with code 15 air covers anything
BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:10 PM   #4

Many people are lead astray by the RV dealers. I have spoken to many that are driving DP's with G licenses. I know of one that drove for many years until he actually call his insurance company. They said if he were to claim; then it would be taken into account that he was driving without the proper license and probably denied. He has since obtained his DZ license. Fortunately I had my DZ prior to my purchase of a DP.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
2) A Motorhome under 24,000lbs towing a trailer or toad under 10,000lbs where the total weight exceeds 24,000lbs. This would include most gassers pulling a toad. Note this is dependant on the GVWR not the actual weight. Anything on the F53 Chassis will be over as soon as you tow your kids little red wagon. This situation will requires a D Licence.
This part is disputable. My 1999 GBM is on a F53 chassis has a GVWR of 18,000lbs. Towing a Honda CRV, for example (with a GVWR of 4,500lbs), that would sit at 22,500lbs. A smaller toad (say, a Chevy Spark) would be even further within the bracket of a class G license.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchu View Post
This part is disputable. My 1999 GBM is on a F53 chassis has a GVWR of 18,000lbs. Towing a Honda CRV, for example (with a GVWR of 4,500lbs), that would sit at 22,500lbs. A smaller toad (say, a Chevy Spark) would be even further within the bracket of a class G license.
You are correct, I did not realize there was anything that light built on the F53. That set up would only need a G Licence. Everything I looked at on the 2020 version of the F53 had a GVWR of 24,000lbs. So I guess I should correct it to “Most” A Class built of the F53 chassis.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had a DZ for 12 years with my 29000lb Journey. Fortunately or unfortunately, I have never heard of any proactive enforcement in Ontario. That said, I suspect the incorrect licence would be a significant issue if there is an accident or a traffic offence in Ontario. Over 65, annual medicals are required to retain the licence.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote