Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #1

Progressive Industries Surge Protectors

Just wondering if anyone could explain why Progressive Industries surge protectors are not approved for Canada when they are made in the US? Since they are not approved, why can we buy them from Canadian suppliers? And does anyone else in Canada use them anyway?
340RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #2

Just going to take a wild guess because I'm not an electrical expert but, it's likely because it does dot have the little old CSA Sticker on it.
I bought mine in the US about 6-7 years ago (hardwired) and of all the add ones to my coach, I think this was the best.
This thing has saved me a few times in older parks where the power is not always up to snuff.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #3

I have and been using it for 2 years. CSA approval has a higher standard than the U.S. approvals also more expensive to acquire.
Technobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #4

If you go to the Progresssive web site, on top right hand corner, it says
check which one is right for you . Click on that .

Most of them are UL approved in USA and Canada as well. UL is one of the most popular modern approval companies. Most companies that sell in more countries than Canada will use UL or UTL intertek. The company I work for doesn't use CSA any more. So if you have a product made in Canada and have if CSA certified but want to sell the product in the USA good luck. Most other companies will say who is CSA?

CSA is not better than UL

Just check on the item you want with progressive tell will verify if it is UL approved for Canada.

A lot of American suppliers will not ship into Canada because they get
complaints from Canadian customers about brokerage fees and handling charges that courier companies charge. Worked in the USA for American companies and lived in Canada and worked for Canadian companies that certify their products.
fishchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #5
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340RK View Post
Just wondering if anyone could explain why Progressive Industries surge protectors are not approved for Canada when they are made in the US? Since they are not approved, why can we buy them from Canadian suppliers? And does anyone else in Canada use them anyway?
I asked Progressive about the lack of UL & Canadian UL and was told "There is no requirement to obtain UL listing or the Canadian equivalent for the portable units"
Old 02-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishchamp View Post
If you go to the Progresssive web site, on top right hand corner, it says
check which one is right for you . Click on that .

Most of them are UL approved in USA and Canada as well. UL is one of the most popular modern approval companies. Most companies that sell in more countries than Canada will use UL or UTL intertek. The company I work for doesn't use CSA any more. So if you have a product made in Canada and have if CSA certified but want to sell the product in the USA good luck. Most other companies will say who is CSA?

CSA is not better than UL

Just check on the item you want with progressive tell will verify if it is UL approved for Canada.

A lot of American suppliers will not ship into Canada because they get
complaints from Canadian customers about brokerage fees and handling charges that courier companies charge. Worked in the USA for American companies and lived in Canada and worked for Canadian companies that certify their products.
UL= Underwriters Laboratories a requirement for insurance companies.

CSA = Canadian Standards Association. An independent testing laboratory ensuring that a given product meets or exceeds a given standard.

As an Engineer I think I may know a tad about testing certifications.
Technobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technobody View Post
UL= Underwriters Laboratories a requirement for insurance companies.

CSA = Canadian Standards Association. An independent testing laboratory ensuring that a given product meets or exceeds a given standard.

As an Engineer I think I may know a tad about testing certifications.
Not true. Go to UL and read their certifications. Got to work in the oil patch to catch up to what safety certifications are. We do certifications
in Canada and USA and Europe every few weeks and only use UL, Atex and ATL. 20 years ago we used CSA. No we are not in the insurance business.
fishchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340RK View Post
They are UL approved therefore are accepted by the Canadian Insurance companies as compliant !!!

But more importantly you need to worry about weather it is Safe for you, it is after all an after market product so not a requirement by the insurance co. and it is about as good as it gets.

I installed one our American Eagle and it works fantastically no doubt, so go for it. It is Faaaaar better then not having one.

Good luck.

Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #9

Thanks everyone! I think I'll order one online while I'm in the states and have it delivered. Its way cheaper, even with the US/Can exchange rate, than ordering one here at home.
340RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #10

I have 2, 1 spare, wouldn't be without them.
Scout1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #11

They are sold in Canada, there just isn't huge dealer network here. I was at a PD reseller in Ottawa last week, but PD products are way more expensive here than the exchange rate could explain. Even with exchange, it costs twice as much as at the CW north of Syracuse NY.
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote