Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Snowbirding down south with Border closed

I am located in Fairbanks AK so to get to warmer climate this winter I will have to drive through Canada which has closed its borders to non essential traffic. I am assuming that this includes traveling away from home, ie vacation. I was wondering how those of you in Canada are planning your winter since the US border is also closed. Are you still hoping that it will be reopened, the rules change or just going to fly down to your favorite spot. bummed as this was the first year we were going to try to avoid the Fairbanks winter.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #2

If you know somebody down here, have them send you a letter saying you've been hired and the job is waiting.....be an essential worker...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:21 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That is a difficult question to answer right now. My guess that the border will be closed until Q4 2020 and depending on covid 19 developments and could be delayed further. I will likely keep my unit in storage in Canada over the upcoming winter even if the border reopens late in 2020. To answer your question, your travel through Canada potentially a issue as well.....yes essential workers that are U.S. citizens are permitted to enter Canada to work but you must have proper supporting documentation to do so....e.g. a visa.
macker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctickats View Post
I am located in Fairbanks AK so to get to warmer climate this winter I will have to drive through Canada which has closed its borders to non essential traffic. I am assuming that this includes traveling away from home, ie vacation. I was wondering how those of you in Canada are planning your winter since the US border is also closed. Are you still hoping that it will be reopened, the rules change or just going to fly down to your favorite spot. bummed as this was the first year we were going to try to avoid the Fairbanks winter.
I see no issue for YOU if you are a US citizen. Americans are allowed to enter Canada to proceed directly to Alaska for whatever reason. It follows that an American can enter Canada to go South to the Lower US mainland so long as passport requirements are met.

For my part,I will mothball any travel plans to any area where I think I might be unsafe despite political assertions to the contrary.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #5

Based on the increasing numbers of Covid infections daily in the US, my sense is that the border will remain closed through out 2020 and possibly into 2021.
Frankly, if this is a means of slowing the spread, then keep it closed.
Transiting through Canada to Alaska was hit with more restrictions from the Canadian Government this week due to people lying at the border and claiming to be going to Alaska when they had no intention of doing so, and then not adhering to the rules once they got in.
Sure, as one person said earlier, just get someone to write you a letter stating you have a job waiting for you. That is precisely the kind of thing that creates problems for people who are trying to abide by the rules and slow the spread of this pandemic.
We are all making sacrifices right now, some more so than others.
Your best bet is to contact the Border Agency and ask questions to your specific situation and get a sense of what is required in order to transit through Canada from from Alaska.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #6

Designated border crossings, for US travelers , to/from the lower 48 were part of the new restrictions , no travel through Canadian National Parks , limited travel time allowed through the Yukon Territory ( 24 hrs) reporting to Canadian Border Services on exiting Canada. Were all part of the restrictions imposed this week.

Check now with the CBSA ( Canadian Border Services Agency) then check again close to a possible departure date as tighter rules may be put into in place at any time.

www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca
Old 08-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
Based on the increasing numbers of Covid infections daily in the US, my sense is that the border will remain closed through out 2020 and possibly into 2021.
Frankly, if this is a means of slowing the spread, then keep it closed.

Sure, as one person said earlier, just get someone to write you a letter stating you have a job waiting for you. That is precisely the kind of thing that creates problems for people who are trying to abide by the rules and slow the spread of this pandemic.

We are all making sacrifices right now, some more so than others.
And the last sentence say's it all in our book
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
If you know somebody down here, have them send you a letter saying you've been hired and the job is waiting.....be an essential worker...
Thank you for both suggesting that someone break the law and disrespect Canada all in a single sentence.

It is this type of attitude that has resulted in travel restrictions for Americans going through Canada to be tightened and fines for disregarding these rules to be set at $750,000 and 3-years in jail.

It is very unlikely the border will re-open again this year with so many of our neighbours refusing to take this pandemic seriously.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
Thank you for both suggesting that someone break the law and disrespect Canada all in a single sentence.

It is this type of attitude that has resulted in travel restrictions for Americans going through Canada to be tightened and fines for disregarding these rules to be set at $750,000 and 3-years in jail.

It is very unlikely the border will re-open again this year with so many of our neighbours refusing to take this pandemic seriously.
Post the 'LAW'......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:19 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The information is available here:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...diens-eng.html
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Post the 'LAW'......

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...diens-eng.html

OK, there you go, someone did post the link earlier and I'm fairly certain it's not Fake News.
There are those tourists who may not like it or agree with it, nevertheless, it is the law here in Canada.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #12

Just so there is no misunderstanding, from my perspective, and reading the restrictions, there is not a move to stop legitimate travellers to and from Alaska to the lower 48.
All the restrictions are to prevent those who would enter Canada under the pretext of travel ,to or from Alaska, then show up in Jasper for lunch , Banff for a hike, or Vancouver Island for a stay.
What is expected of those traveling, is to go where they say their going in a timely manner, limiting all unnecessary contact with anyone on route.
For those traveling with RVs , carry the food and water for your trip and stop only to fuel up ( preferably pay at the pump) and eat,rest and sleep in your unit.
The Yukon, from the very beginning of this heath crisis has restricted those going through to 24 hours in the territory. Why the new Canadian federal regulations didn’t limit travellers to 48 hrs in B.C. or Alberta, is beyond me.
Or even mirroring Alaska’s own measures of , proof of a negative COVID-19 test less than 72 hours old or isolation on crossing into the state while waiting on test results there.
JMHO: of course, now to send the Prime Minister another nasty gram.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:19 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Post the 'LAW'......
https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...to-alaska.html
Old 08-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
There is no issue with Americans transiting through Canada for essential travel reasons. The objections raised above are to one member suggesting another member fabricate an "essential' travel reason. This would expose the person to a potential $750,000 fine and up to 3-years in jail.

Legitimate travellers are welcome as long as they obey the travel restrictions and conditions.