Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #15

My Beaver has a propane 6.6 generac air cooled generator. Running 1air conditioner, the residential refrigerator and an oxygen concentrator. We used about 1 gallon of propane every 3-4 hours this last summer. Did not have trouble overheating but did have the rotor on the generator come apart and was $1600. to get new electrical end installed. ( that is a whole different long story.) I am happy with my lp generator.
bullheadbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
The air suspension must be a worthy contention, and I am glad you informed me about the general build being more heavy duty. I suspected that, but have not seen it in writing.
You will find that info in the chassis label.
Compare the GAWR, GVWR and the GCWR on a same length Gas or DP

A lot of the DP come with a Inverter/Charger that a gas may only have a converter.
Both banks of batteries may be charging while plugged into shore power on a DP and not on a gaser.
A lot of DP house may have premium accessory's a gas may not have.

The price difference isn't all in the motor/chassis difference.

Look for the MH that your other half likes the floor plan, length, number slide outs etc.
Then get it no matter what engine/chassis it has.

I bought mine after looking for 2 years for the floor plan I wanted.
It happen to be on a DP chassis. I increased to 1' longer and one slide out from previous 19 year old gas MH. I Full timed in for 3 years.

12 years later of Full time in it I'm still happy with my choice.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerCQI View Post
...Seems the more you learn, the more difficult the decision, but probably the more accurate too.
I research things to death...sometimes to the point of getting so tired of it I lose interest (won't happen for an RV though because we have planned on full-timing for more than a decade now). But, as you say, the more you know the more difficult the decision can become. Makes me wonder how we ever researched things before the internet. I do remember spending a lot of time perusing magazines at bookstores looking for reviews on whatever we were interested in at the time.

Because of all of our research we are having a difficult time deciding between a DP (Newmar, used Newell/Foretravel/Country Coach) or a 45' New Horizons or Continental 5er pulled by a Volvo 780.

My wife and I have a running joke (or question we ask each other). Everyday when I get home from work we'll ask each other, "Motorhome...5th wheel...or Pole Barn"? In other words, which way is the wind blowing today? The pole barn reference is related to our ongoing discussion on whether to buy some property and build a pole barn for the RV/workshop with attached living quarters. If we did this, we would part-time instead of full-time. Our constant research is what has us asking the question everyday because there is no real 100% answer that has presented itself to us yet nor do I expect one to materialize.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #18

Quote:
I would like to thank everyone for their input thus far, lots of relevant material to ponder. Seems the more you learn, the more difficult the decision, but probably the more accurate too.
To Uncle Dave; The generator thing is big for me. I did not realize the gas gens were air cooled. The fuel consumption is a large bone of contention too.
Lots of guys get so hung up on the drivetrain part of the package that they miss this part.

The air cooled onan 7000 is the go to package for bigger Gas RV's. It can drink up to 1.2 GPH when loaded.

One problem is that if you store your Moho half the year- modern gas goes bad quick - you MUST excersize a gas genset unless you completely run it out of fuel every time, or it likely wont start when you go to use it.

If I had to buy another gas RV I'd buy a rebuilt Honda EV6010 genset which was a water cooled 6K unit in a tiny package. Lasts longer runs quieter, smoother and cooler.

I sold the propane 6300 unit in my 36 class A beaver and upgraded to an 8K diesel - for my purposes the single best upgrade I ever did.

Propane works for some guys but not me- sharing my gen fuel with the heater, cooking (I tap off for a BBQ), and potentially the fridge- those gensets really drink when loaded with 2 ac's running - About 1.7 GPH.Even with 40 gallons of propane I had very little staying power at camp with propane for energy production.

But some guys swear by it and if you always go to places with it (campsites) you can get by on it as a fuel.

With the diesel genset my "staying power" at a busy energy hungry camp is tremendous and I can power the attendant trailers for days on end for very little money during long outings as Im leaning on a set of benefits that become synergistically greater than the sum of the parts.

When you ad up the net effect all these pieces-

- a far larger fuel tank than I had with propane, or gas, I can hit the dunes with 90 gallons of diesel onboard, and I set my pick up to 90%.
- 2-4X the economy
- quieter running, longer life(up to 20K hours) , waay longer maintenance intervals.

The genset itself becomes a major piece of the use case.

Plus anyone can run to almost any gas station with a 5er and come back with a few gallons. Much harder to do with propane.

Good luck in your hunt for the RV that's right for you.

As you might have guessed already there is no such thing as the perfect RV - just what works best for you.

UD
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #19

Like a few others here, I have been researching RV's for about 7 years now. We looked at travel trailers, fivers, Class B+ Class C and then the A's.
My original thought after deciding on Class A was to find the floor plan that we liked and met the requirements of our wish list. We had narrowed our search to the new Jayco Precept. I actually wrote to Jayco for further information on a number of items we couldn't find on-line. What really turned our heads was when Jayco informed us that the Precept was not warranted for full time use.
As I drive a diesel bus for work, I decided to turn to the mechanics who work on both gas and diesel. To them it was a no brainer. For full time use diesel and diesel only. They even took it a step further and gave me pointers as to what to look for in a diesel engine.
It's been a long and arduous journey trying to find the best all round choice for a soon to be retired full time RVers. So now the search begins to find the ideal Class A diesel pusher with no less than 3 slides (2 opposing), side radiator, Cummins, min 340 HP no older than 2006, with fiberglass roof.
Our plan is to depart from Ottawa Nov 1 2015 and start heading south with out home with 6 wheels.
Technobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
You will find that info in the chassis label.
Compare the GAWR, GVWR and the GCWR on a same length Gas or DP

A lot of the DP come with a Inverter/Charger that a gas may only have a converter.
Both banks of batteries may be charging while plugged into shore power on a DP and not on a gaser.
A lot of DP house may have premium accessory's a gas may not have.

The price difference isn't all in the motor/chassis difference.

Look for the MH that your other half likes the floor plan, length, number slide outs etc.
Then get it no matter what engine/chassis it has.

I bought mine after looking for 2 years for the floor plan I wanted.
It happen to be on a DP chassis. I increased to 1' longer and one slide out from previous 19 year old gas MH. I Full timed in for 3 years.

12 years later of Full time in it I'm still happy with my choice.

Amen, happy wife, happy life! I did not know about the inverter/charger vs converter only thing either, or about the possible lack of ability to charge house and chassis batts together.
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technobody View Post
Like a few others here, I have been researching RV's for about 7 years now. We looked at travel trailers, fivers, Class B+ Class C and then the A's.
My original thought after deciding on Class A was to find the floor plan that we liked and met the requirements of our wish list. We had narrowed our search to the new Jayco Precept. I actually wrote to Jayco for further information on a number of items we couldn't find on-line. What really turned our heads was when Jayco informed us that the Precept was not warranted for full time use.
As I drive a diesel bus for work, I decided to turn to the mechanics who work on both gas and diesel. To them it was a no brainer. For full time use diesel and diesel only. They even took it a step further and gave me pointers as to what to look for in a diesel engine.
It's been a long and arduous journey trying to find the best all round choice for a soon to be retired full time RVers. So now the search begins to find the ideal Class A diesel pusher with no less than 3 slides (2 opposing), side radiator, Cummins, min 340 HP no older than 2006, with fiberglass roof.
Our plan is to depart from Ottawa Nov 1 2015 and start heading south with out home with 6 wheels.
We think alike.

Something like this? 2006 Monaco Windsor bought new in 2007 - immaculate 40ft | RVs, motorhomes | Peterborough | Kijiji
Old 11-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Exactly Wow that's perfect in all ways!!
Old 11-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #23

Another consideration is your driver's licence. Most diesel pushers are over the weight limit for a G licence in Ontario. As well most will have air brakes which is another licence hassle.
JesseJ1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJ1826 View Post
Another consideration is your driver's licence. Most diesel pushers are over the weight limit for a G licence in Ontario. As well most will have air brakes which is another licence hassle.
Very good point. I figure about a $1000.00 to go through the courses, and it is not very convenient to find a place to get the course. Might be worth it for full timers, but...
If I may ask, have you found a good place near Oshawa to store your MoHo over winter?
Old 11-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Exactly Wow that's perfect in all ways!!
Did you reply, or are you not quit ready yet. I replied for more info, but got no answer.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJ1826 View Post
Well that's not an issue for me as I have a BZ license. I didn't reply as I'm not ready to purchase until July/August
Old 11-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Very good point. I figure about a $1000.00 to go through the courses, and it is not very convenient to find a place to get the course. Might be worth it for full timers, but...
If I may ask, have you found a good place near Oshawa to store your MoHo over winter?
It will cost you more than $1,000 to get a commercial license. The Air Brake or Z endorsement is usually $450.00 at a community college or through a truck driving school. You will need a class C license.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #28

Quote:
It will cost you more than $1,000 to get a commercial license. The Air Brake or Z endorsement is usually $450.00 at a community college or through a truck driving school. You will need a class C license.
Actually in Ontario for a motorhome over 11,000 KG (24,250 lbs.) you only need a D licence, with air brakes DZ. Check out the following -
RV Information for Drivers - terms used
JesseJ1826 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel