Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #1

Trans Labrador Highway

I would like to know if anyone has taken this trip and could comment on it . I know its mostly paved now and has been extended south on the Goose end. There is the circle tour, thats what I would like to do this summer or in 2015.Which way to go clockwise ? or the other ? , or do a one way and re track thru PQ. I am sure some of you Maple Leaf folks have done this several times by now.....eh. ?
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Actually, haven't yet partly owing to the relative newness of the road. Wasn't there last time I was there. Check out the Newfoundland and Labrador Gov. website. Having said that, you would be really missing out not to go across the Straight of Belle Isle to Newfoundland. There are two Unesco Heritage sites on the west side. L'Anse aux Meadow and Gross Morne National Park. It is completely gorgeous down that west side!!
The only real downer of course is the cost of the ferries.
Trans-Labrador Highway website - Home Page
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-..._Labrador.html
Old 04-07-2015, 06:06 AM   #3

I've both driven it and flown over it in small aircraft numerous times.

While the scenery is magnificent from the road you only see a very small slice of it. It is a very long drive through a pretty deserted part of the country. There are no houses, stores or gas stations along BIG stretches of it. No turn-outs or places to stop.

I'd personally go straight to Newfoundland and then up to the coastal region from there. The inland portion isn't where the real scenery is.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:05 PM   #4

Norther Peninsula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I've both driven it and flown over it in small aircraft numerous times.

While the scenery is magnificent from the road you only see a very small slice of it. It is a very long drive through a pretty deserted part of the country. There are no houses, stores or gas stations along BIG stretches of it. No turn-outs or places to stop.

I'd personally go straight to Newfoundland and then up to the coastal region from there. The inland portion isn't where the real scenery is.
How long ago was it , you drove and flew over the Northern Peninsula?. As recently as Last April 2014, I drove from St. John's to St. Anthony at the Northern tip of the Peninsula at a leisurely 12-13 hrs with stops along the way for Lunch and Washroom breaks. While, it is not the Los Vegas Strip, and the Scenery is Magnificent,
[ moderator edit ]
JBromle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBromle View Post
How long ago was it , you drove and flew over the Northern Peninsula?. As recently as Last April 2014, I drove from St. John's to St. Anthony at the Northern tip of the Peninsula at a leisurely 12-13 hrs with stops along the way for Lunch and Washroom breaks. While, it is not the Los Vegas Strip, and the Scenery is Magnificent,

I suggest you might want to read a little more carefully.[ moderator edit ]

The OP (and my post) were referring to the TRANS-LABRADOR highway.

Your trip from St. John's to St. Anthony's was on the Island of NEWFOUNDLAND. Which is why I suggested the OP might want to straight to Newfoundland and see the beautiful scenery you did instead of nothing but trees and rocks for ~500 miles.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:

Your trip from St. John's to St. Anthony's was on the Island of NEWFOUNDLAND. Which is why I suggested the OP might want to straight to Newfoundland and see the beautiful scenery you did instead of nothing but trees and rocks for ~500 miles.
I am quite familiar with Newfoundland(Island) and Labrador(the Big Land) and Ontario , I might add. I agree there are BIG Stretches but you travel prepared. "The Inland portion isn't where the real Scenery is".. lol.. Please don't Insult my Intelligence or the good People of Labrador. Thank You!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #7

Trans Labrador Highway

Quote:
I am quite familiar with Newfoundland(Island) and Labrador(the Big Land) and Ontario , I might add. I agree there are BIG Stretches but you travel prepared. "The Inland portion isn't where the real Scenery is".. lol.. Please don't Insult my Intelligence or the good People of Labrador. Thank You!

Why did Ontario even enter into a discussion about Labrador?

I wouldn't dream of insulting your intelligence, can you please extend the same courtesy, but I still don't, speaking of intelligence, understand how you managed to think I was wrong about the interior of Labrador by using the coast of Newfoundland as an example. In fact I suggested to start on the Island then go up into the coastal region of Labrador.

It seems kind of an apples and, well, pineapples not even oranges kind of thing.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #8

Quote:

Thank you for the information, however, it seems no one has yet to make the circle tour ? My main interest in doing the circle trip is mostly because its there, one of the last true "adventure" left to do roads in North America. I have done the Alaska Hy., Denali Hy. Dalton Hy. the Mackenzie Hy., the Liard Hy. trans-Continental trips, both in the US and Ca. plus some of the historical routes, and what is left of them like the Santa Fe Trail, Chisholm Trail,Lincoln Hy. , Jefferson Hy. and others like the Blue Ridge Parkway , Key West route, etc. The Trans-Labrador Hy. looks like a natural "must do". as well included would be a tour around Newfoundland ofcoarse.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:17 PM   #9

Trans Labrador Highway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I would like to know if anyone has taken this trip and could comment on it . I know its mostly paved now and has been extended south on the Goose end. There is the circle tour, thats what I would like to do this summer or in 2015.Which way to go clockwise ? or the other ? , or do a one way and re track thru PQ. I am sure some of you Maple Leaf folks have done this several times by now.....eh. ?
There are a number of Websites you can access: e.g...The Great Canadian Bucket List entitled "Drive the Trans Labrador Highway" I've lived in Happy Valley- Goose Bay and sailed along the Labrador Coast on Oil Tankers into the Canadian Arctic as far north as Resolute. Although, I have never met the Authors of those articles, I can attest and assure you of the Validity of their Content. Personally, I would take the Counterclockwise Route from Nova Scotia to Port Aux Basques and drive Northeast on NL's West coast through Gros Morne National Park as far as St. Barbe to catch the ferry across the Strait of Belle Isle to Blanc Sablon, Labrador.....Bon Voyage!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you for the information, however, it seems no one has yet to make the circle tour ? My main interest in doing the circle trip is mostly because its there, one of the last true "adventure" left to do roads in North America.

Sorry, no, the last time I drove all the way to Goose Bay the road stopped there. The scenery is the same but the road is a little better. ;-)

I didn't realize you were looking to cross off 'bucket list' items, if that's the case, you might well want to do the drive, but be forewarned, unlike most of the others you listed the Trans-Lab. highway was built as a utility road, not a sightseeing route. You will do ~500 miles of driving down a 50' wide slash cut through a forest on a bad road with zero to look at but the road ahead.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
There are a number of Websites you can access: e.g...The Great Canadian Bucket List entitled "Drive the Trans Labrador Highway" I've lived in Happy Valley- Goose Bay and sailed along the Labrador Coast on Oil Tankers into the Canadian Arctic as far north as Resolute. Although, I have never met the Authors of those articles, I can attest and assure you of the Validity of their Content. Personally, I would take the Counterclockwise Route from Nova Scotia to Port Aux Basques and drive Northeast on NL's West coast through Gros Morne National Park as far as St. Barbe to catch the ferry across the Strait of Belle Isle to Blanc Sablon, Labrador.....Bon Voyage!
thanks again...i am curious why you would counter-clock ?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #12

Trans Labrador HWY!

Quote:
thanks again...i am curious why you would counter-clock ?
Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner. I'll try and answer your Question. It's been over 6yrs since I've been to the Big Land. Just today, I had some relatives from Labrador visit me here in St. John's. They reside in Port Hope Simpson , Lab, and they make the trek regularly about every 2 MThs from there to St. John's, even in the Dead of Winter crossing on the Ferry in the Strait of Belle Isle, both ways.

They assure me that the HWY from Lab city to HV- Goose Bay is paved. About 60 kms outside of Goose Bay is being prepared for pavement. There is over 630 kms of gravel road from there to Red Bay. Red Bay to Blanc Sablon (Ferry) is paved. Depending on the weather. It can be good or bad driving on Gravel. I hope this is of some help.

If you wish to see more of Newfoundland, I recommend the Counter Clockwise Route: