Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
travel medical insurance

DW and I are planning to head South for winters after I retire. I was curious as to who folks get their out of country medical insurance from and the cost. Appreciate any feedback
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shelly Bertram of Bertram Insurance & Financial Services. Give her a call at 705-657-3882 / 1-866-657-3882 or email at insure_ me@bertraminsurance.ca We saved a significant amount of money with her over our previous insurer...over $1000. Worth a call.
fillbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #3

Not sure of your age, but I do know that AARP Supplemental Insurance in the past did cover out-of-the country medical care.

What AARP's current policy is for travel abroad I am not sure.

Medicare does not cover you while traveling abroad.
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Insurance

We have been using AMA[Alberta] same as CAA it has seemed to be ok. We have not have had to use it yet. Rates are reasonable. They increase if you are over 60.
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I was looking specifically for medical insurance over 60. We have blue cross now, which has outstanding coverage but when we retire we have to make a choice as to what coverage to buy.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #6

Join the Canadian Snowbird Association and apply for Medipac. I have used if for about 10 years and still get a good rate for 170 days (70 years) for about $800.
LBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
+1 for Medipac.
They have the best rates for us that I've found, give a year on year claim free discount and have an early bird discount if you purchase before mid August. We are up to 13% discount now.
They do allow you to change your departure date once for no fee which is helpful as when we buy it in August we never quite know exactly which date we are going to leave the province.
They are approved by the Canadian Snowbird Association but you don't have to be a member to buy the insurance.

something for the weekend...1968 Vanguard Camper on 1989 GMC 2500
Open Roaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #8

There are lots of good choices for travel health insurance. But do your self a favour and find out who is the underwriter. If it is Manulife LOOK FOR SOMETHING ELSE. They have a horrible record of denying claims .
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #9

You could also take a look at CUETS Mastercard. They provide up to a month anytime and you can add extra days for extended stays.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
There are lots of good choices for travel health insurance. But do your self a favour and find out who is the underwriter. If it is Manulife LOOK FOR SOMETHING ELSE. They have a horrible record of denying claims .
Indeed! Avoid Manulife like the plague!

I am one of those weird individuals that actually reads the policy, in microscopic detail, and of the eight top policies available in Ontario, The Co-operators is at the very top of the list by a wide margin. And their customer care policy is exemplary. They always strain policy interpretation in favour of the customer!

We always get the annual policy which costs only a little more than that of a mere one month excursion; and covers as many 35 day trips outside of Canada as you can manage.
Stan.Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In 2005, while we were flying into the U.S.A., I was stricken with an unexplainable illness. I was hospitalized and the tests began. When every imaginable test could not determine the cause of the illness and pain, I was advised to return home so that I could put my affairs into order. My wife brought me home, and after several more weeks of testing and unbelievable pain, the condition ended as quickly as it had begun!

No diagnosis of the condition or disease was ever made. All the doctors know is that I was dying, and 'the man upstairs' changed his mind!

The medical bills in the U.S.A. exceeded $80,000.000. Our insurer was Blue Cross. They paid everything, from day one, no questions ever asked.

Thank you, Blue Cross.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
In 2005 . . . .
The medical bills in the U.S.A. exceeded $80,000.000. Our insurer was Blue Cross. They paid everything, from day one, no questions ever asked.
Thank you, Blue Cross.
Jim,

There was a time, years ago when I considered Blue Cross to be the very best, and insurer of first choice. But then they started changing their out-of-province policies, adding one weasel clause after another until their policies protected you from so little, that they were totally useless unless you happened to be trompted to death on the front steps of the White House on July 4th!!

For the past decade or so, we have switched to the Co-operators as the insurer of choice.

As so often happens within the financial world, some upstart CEO decides to make a name for himself, by milking the long established reputation of a long established company for all it's worth, to make him look good.

I am not familiar with the current Blue Cross policy; but for anyone who actually cares, it's probably worth getting a copy of the Co-operators polic and the Blue Cross policy, and spending 15 minutes reviewing each of them, to determine which offers the better value!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #13

One should also be aware that Blue Cross is totally different from one province to another.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #14

BTW, I probably should have stated the cost of outta province insurance with The Co-operators. For the two of us, 70 years of age, we pay $400 per year for as many 35 day outta-province trips as we can tolerate. Next year, at 71, the same insurance will cost us $1100!! :-(

Anyone remember the good 'ole days when all of this stuff was covered by OHIP (Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan)? Then someone ABUSED the system ROYALLY; having their month at an Arizona drug/alcohol rehab facility expenses billed to OHIP to the tune of $500,000 (FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS)!! And that was the end of inclusive outta province medical insurance coverage forever. :-(

Tags
insurance, travel