Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:42 PM   #1

Traveling within Canada?

Hi all,

We're Canadian citizens (Ontario) planning to travel across Canada in our Class A, starting in May.

I'm a bit confused with crossing provincial borders. The government websites are fairly vague with their travel restrictions - most pertaining to entering from the USA or internationally. We've heard rumours of people being turned away from crossing provincial borders but its always third or fourth hand information. Is there truth to this?

Our itinerary is a combination of Provincial Parks, RV resorts and boondocking.

Will we be good to go on our trip?

Thanks!
CL1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2021, 09:41 PM   #2

Google travel.gc.ca/travel-covid and then scroll down to interprovincial travel. This will link you the the various province and there current restrictions, requirements.
Keep in that things with Covid change reqularly and today's rules/laws may not even be in the same hockey rink next week. Let alone in a couple of months.
The law/rules that are in place on the date that you cross the border (international or interprovincial), not when you started your vacation/trip/snow birding.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:16 PM   #3

Google search and a quick read of a couple of Provinces.....say "no non essential travel". Is this trip "essential"? Probably not. What are the rules going to be 2 weeks or 2 months from now? Probably more restrictive. BC politicians are considering closing the AB/BC border to non essential travel". Probably best to plan for 2022 IMO.
Your question..."Will we be good to go on our trip?" My answer..No.
Flyboy757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:19 AM   #4

Everybody needs something fun and positive to look forward to and to plan so good for you OP!

Read the individual provinces rules now to get a feel as to whether they are "firm NO Travel" or just "advisories", like so much has been. Daughter drove from AB to spend week+ meeting up with ex-fiance in Northern Ontario in his trailer July last year and there were advisories with little legal restrictions and she wasn't affected. We also saw many out of province plates last summer in Alberta from Sask', Quebec, Manitoba etc. When talking with them they were enroute to BC for a visit with family or a mini vacation. At the time, tire slashing in BC of out of province vehicles was in the news. Sadly some of those out of province plates were essential workers in.

Like someone else above said, today is today but tomorrow could be a whole new ball game on the rules.

Unless it is a firm mandated no out of province allowed, for sure after being cooped up by then, for a year and a half+ here we intend to start RVing again, even if borders south remain closed.

To us there's no safer way to get out and about especially when we are in bad need of some mental stimulation. Taking into account 6 months of winter and the lockdowns it's been mentally gruelling, but we do believe in safety first. It's far safer being in the boonies fishing/kayak at a lake, than each time we get our groceries locally! The government's have screwed up so much in all their decisions during this pandemic, as long as we are not breaking any laws, we've decided to make our own decisions on isolation. moving forwards.

With a glass half full attitude, mask and sanitiser in hand (pardon the pun), here's to your upcoming summer jaunt will all go to plan.

Happy Travels.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:42 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The idiot in charge here in BC was making noises about closing the border for inter-provincial travel and was told by the feds it was beyond his ability as premier. We traveled from BC to PQ last year and when the snow goes away we plan on heading to NFLD and back if the southern border doesn't open.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:41 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Musings about closing the inter provincial border stemmed from two basic issues.

1. Alberta at the time was raging out of control with Covid19 and we had enough of our own problems here in BC already.

2. There were/are an awful lot of sun deprived, winter hating Albertan's who decided that since they couldn't go to the southern US, they would instead winter out in BC along the coast. I know, I live in one of those areas that is popular for RV travel and it isn't a tough challenge finding out of province plates in the RV parks around where I live.

It kind of rubs the wrong way when the message has been for sometime, "keep your journey's to a minimum and stay close to home". I get it, winter sucks sometimes and when you are used to getting away from it and can't, you are very tempted to look for alternatives. The BC coast may not be tropical but plus 5 can look a lot more inviting than minus 20. That being said, there are some who aren't especially keen to be warm and fuzzy to those who don't seem to have the same regard in exposing others to the possible issues they may be bringing with them whether from home or even picking them up along the way. Mobility is Covid's friend. We should have had much tougher travel restrictions a lot sooner IMO. The Fed's and Provinces tried to let us be our own keepers and have begged, urged, pleaded and so on but there are always some who don't really give a fig for such things. So now politicians have gotten to a place where they feel they have tried the less restrictive approaches without success so now it is time for more drastic measures. That is on us. Many have made very poor choices around this so now it appears that Gov's are beginning to think about making the choice for us.

To the original poster, there is no absolute answer to a situation that may be completely different by May. What I can say is that by that time according to posted schedules of vaccination, there is still going to be large swath's of the population that won't as yet have been vaccinated. I'm in my late 50's and in BC that means I probably won't see a needle until the first 2 weeks of July. And that is just the first shot. So mid August until I have I have gotten both and I am not that young. As you can see from my response, many people have very different opinions about what others should be or not be doing. You will be coming from a province that has had one of the worst go rounds with this virus and sporting a plate that advertises that loudly. You have to really do some soul searching around the issue. Is this a trip you "really" need to take at this time or is just that you "want" to. If it is the latter, then you are giving a metaphorical middle finger to all of those who are trying to follow the recommendations; that it somehow shouldn't apply to your need for a trip. There's a word for that and it rhymes with shellfish.

So try thinking about it from that perspective and if after due consideration you feel that you can make this journey without increasing the risk to others by doing so, well then the rest of us will have to trust to your judgement. By the time you are thinking of going, it may well be much more in the realm of reasonable, but it could just as easily not be. Be honest about it and make your choice based on situation at the time, the state of recommendations that are in place at the time and the overall necessity of your trip.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:02 PM   #7
SMe

We are heading to BC from Northwestern Ontario in May for a five week trip to visit our son who we haven't seen for more than a year. All RV Parks so far have been very generous with cancellation fees should Covid-19 Health Directives force cancellations. Good luck to everyone, have fund, stay safe.
Cheers
SMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:00 AM   #8

A lot of the Provincial Rest Stops around Mission Area are packed full of out of province RV's as there is no CG available.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada, travel