Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:04 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Truck/RV GPS for western Canada?

Just wondering if a truck/RV GPS is a necessity for western Canada to avoid getting trapped in height/width/weight limitation situations?

I know there are some low clearance bridges but that usually where an old rail line is still in existence. Not too many roads (outside towns) so I imagine most of them ill take far heavier an wider vehicles.

Also don't want to find myself on a gravel road in parts of Alberta and Saskatchewan so wondering if truck GPSs show that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2022, 04:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have a Garmin GPS and just set it to "Avoid Gravel" or something like that.

If you are getting close to a low load bridge there's usually sign to warn you.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:34 PM   #3

My experience with Garmin's data quality in Canada lately has been disappointing at best. I personally would not trust the accuracy of any of their offerings. Almost all overhead clearances on paved roads in Alberta are well marked ahead of time.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:41 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks. I have a Garmin but it's for cars so does not have a gravel setting. Also use Microsoft Streets 'n Trips but there's nothing for height/weight/width and unpaved (though the latter could be inferred) and has not been updated in 8-9 years). Just don't want to pay $500 for a 700 or higher series GPS that I may not need.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:52 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I live in Canada and last year, we planned our trip west using RV Trip Wizard. Then I transferred the trip to our Rand McNally. I checked the route against a paper trucker atlas and it was solid. Also did a decent job of identifying gas stations.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:49 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Back from the trip (SW corner of BC to western Saskatchewan and back in a figure 8 loop (Revelstoke to Lake Louise, and home to Hope being the only repeated routes).

Used MS Streets 'n Trips 2013 to plan the trip but no computer to log (no laptop tray on the rig). Garmin worked but we had predetermined routes. Only route that it goofed up on was heading to the Brooks/Patricia area in Alberta from Saskatchewan where, on dirt road avoidance setting, directed towards the next N-S highway west insted of the one we took to our destination (the one we travelled on was very paved).

Old 06-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #7

On the main roads - Hwy 1,99,97,5,3 - I have had no problems or concerns about bridge clearances. Most clearances are marked on the bridge.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:34 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We don't always have interweb access when traveling so I've used MS Streets n Trips off-line to plan routes then transfer to my Garmin. Even though it's discontinued, the data is still good for my needs including low overpass clearances, route avoidance, estimated drive times, distances etc. I've also used the USB GPS that was included with Streets n Trips. Loved a big 15 inch screen, but it was just too big to sit on the dash.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:08 PM   #9

Which reminds me -

https://drivebc.ca/cvrp/?c=hct
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:45 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95f5334j View Post
We don't always have interweb access when traveling so I've used MS Streets n Trips off-line to plan routes then transfer to my Garmin. Even though it's discontinued, the data is still good for my needs including low overpass clearances, route avoidance, estimated drive times, distances etc. I've also used the USB GPS that was included with Streets n Trips. Loved a big 15 inch screen, but it was just too big to sit on the dash.

Where do you find those? Never been able to locate it.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:49 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDriv View Post

Thanks. Never seen this. Stay on the main highways mostly which have logging trucks (higher and wider than a regular semi?) so I figure what ever they can go through, so can I.

Not anything related to road conditions but I think the construction traffic crew weren't doing a good job at the Connaught tunnels a few weeks ago. Was cleared to go westbound (eastbound tunnel closed for repaving or whatever) and had to share the westbound tunnel with eastbound semis.....

That was *tight*.

Old 06-26-2022, 11:23 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatsRV View Post
Where do you find those? Never been able to locate it.
You'll need to do a little work to set it up as it's not included. First, get the data from a source like this: POI Factory | GPS and other interesting topics

Then you need to import the data into MS Streets. From the menu bar, go to Data, and select Import data wizard then simply follow the instructions. It will seem intimidating at first, but once you've done it, updating will be easier.

Once I've created my route, I transfer to my Garmin 780.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-26 101024.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	369378  
Old 06-26-2022, 11:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatsRV View Post
Thanks. Never seen this. Stay on the main highways mostly which have logging trucks (higher and wider than a regular semi?) so I figure what ever they can go through, so can I.

Not anything related to road conditions but I think the construction traffic crew weren't doing a good job at the Connaught tunnels a few weeks ago. Was cleared to go westbound (eastbound tunnel closed for repaving or whatever) and had to share the westbound tunnel with eastbound semis.....

That was *tight*.

I had the same situation a couple years ago in my motorhome, I scraped my tailpipe tip on the center concrete divider. Scared the heck me until I could get pulled over to check what I had hit.
Garmin tip: For some reason Garmin doesn’t think you can take an RV up the Icefield Parkway, I change my vehicle to a car to get rid of the constant “do a u-turn here” messages.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:00 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
Garmin tip: For some reason Garmin doesn’t think you can take an RV up the Icefield Parkway, I change my vehicle to a car to get rid of the constant “do a u-turn here” messages.

Commercial truck traffic is not allowed on the Icefield Parkway. Your Garmin thinks you are a truck.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada, gps