RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #1

When will your vacation start this year, and where are you off to?

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #2

When will your vacation start this year, and where are you off to?

Old 06-21-2005, 07:26 PM   #3

Brad,

One of the things those who say 'take care' tell you to do is be careful of what you say about when you will be gone.

Having said that my itinerary includes NS (Louisbourg maybe round to it first time in 40+ years), Grand Manan Is., Campobello Is. (never did Roosevelt Estate building or grounds), former stomping grounds in Maine, & PEI reunion.

& I may check in on the road, as I did last fall.

Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:44 AM   #4

Morning Kopit: With all thats been going on here in the last six weeks, we may only get as far as NS. I looked at ST.Andrews NB, may pop in there as well?
Your summer sounds like it is shaping up to be a full one. I would really like to do the "west" trip again, but think I will invest in a "big 'ol dirty diesel" first,so that may be a ways off yet. ..Brad

Old 06-22-2005, 02:44 AM   #5

Deisel truck, eh?

Old 06-22-2005, 03:02 AM   #6

Yup! I think so. Much more power in the mountains. I've always liked the thought of having more power than I actually need. I think the Duramax/Allison would pretty much fill the bill. , course, being a former GM employee, I'm kinda biased.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:26 AM   #7

Duramax/Allison, hmm! I can think of a whole bunch on one TC Forum who would agree with you. I didn't know you worked for GM. Must remember that.

I'm figuring on truck replacement in Oct 08 to early early March, 09. O9 being the AK trip year.

But my prejudices/biases are Toyota. And I'm open to type of fuel. I haven't asked European contact or Oz contacts, but I'd bet Toyota makes a good diesel for those markets. Maybe, San Antonio plant notwithstanding they will introduce a 1 ton diesel for those markets first.

Like you I think this would go well with my rig and be perfect for all the mountains in western Canada.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #8

We're headed north to Guelph and will stay in Rockwood. The park there is very nice, although there are no sewer hookups, but I can live without that. We're visiting friends in Guelph, and plan to visit all the little communities in that environ. Definitely will visit the St Jacob market; I always drool at the fresh veggies and fruits that are available and have to purchase my favorites. The beef in the market always looks good, but we never have tried it. Think I will this year and grill steaks in the park. Will get my annual supply of maple syrup while at St Jacob.
We go north thru WVA, PA, NY, and cross into Canada at Buffalo. It can be a nice drive - depends on how much road work is going on in PA. The Cat engine on my Journey averages about 10 mpg, which is not bad, but I hope the price of diesel doesn't climb higher.
Annie K. and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL 36LD
04 Saturn L300W
Doggievet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:07 AM   #9

Well, for diesel discussion I submit, don't leave home without it.

Vacation plans will probably leave us locked on the Island. BC Ferries has jacked rates again and the $175.00 one way trip takes a big $$ bite early. Already off the island once this year, so, probably not this summer.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:27 PM   #10

Hey Kid: I'm thinking diesel is the way to go. My gaser is still in excellent condition, lotta jam left, but I'd like to have a Bad Boy diesel just the same.
That price to cross is crazy. Thats just a bit lower than the NL ferry and its 100 miles across there. Does it seem like your being held for ransom?? Is the ferry service owned by the government?

Old 06-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Duramax/Allison, hmm! I can think of a whole bunch on one TC Forum who would agree with you. I didn't know you worked for GM. Must remember that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hello Kopit: Yes, worked for the General for 31.5 yrs. Then when they offered to buy me "out" I just couldn't refuse.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:33 PM   #12

Ah, Doggievet, I agree with you big time about road side local food places.

Two of my favourites within this year's touring territory are Charlottetown (PEI) Farmer's Market and Farmer's Daughter (Whycogomagh, Cape Breton, NS) Both have interesting meat options too. The Charlottetown Farmer's Market is best on Saturdays. It's more than food. Crafts, wood products, many things. Plan on at least one meal. Ah, organically grown rasberries with real, I mean like Jersey, whipped cream. & look out, it can be a good place to meet up with people from your home town!!!!

The Big Kid, & I'm grumbling about ferry costs here. OMG my current reservation, me as passenger and truck camper two ways $207.00 Now, if I want a cabin, that's $99.00 more each way . But you've got $175.00 one way

Hey, you know what when I retire, I'm moving past the ferry here. Had you thought of that.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:37 PM   #13

Brad, & do still get a sort of 'employee' deal???????????

Old 06-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #14

Hello Annie: Enjoy your trip to Canada. St Jacobs is much like the area where the 2005 Rally is going on right now. I covered the route your taking only in reverse( Buffalo, Erie PA, Morgantown etc, when we went to Thomasville Ga. in March. First time I have been that way.