Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:56 PM   #1

Not sure if this is the spot to put this message..we have a new to us 22.5 1997 Okanagan 5th Wheel..we camped in it twice..and are planning a Cross Canada Road Trip..starting June 28 and hoping to be home by the first week in September..any tips or good camping sites..we are going on the Trans Canada as much as possible. Also we are wanting to put a A/C in as well..but need some advice to what kind, where inside...or what about a portable one. jWE live in the Shuswap Area of BC.
Ron and Sandra
Ron and Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:56 PM   #2

Not sure if this is the spot to put this message..we have a new to us 22.5 1997 Okanagan 5th Wheel..we camped in it twice..and are planning a Cross Canada Road Trip..starting June 28 and hoping to be home by the first week in September..any tips or good camping sites..we are going on the Trans Canada as much as possible. Also we are wanting to put a A/C in as well..but need some advice to what kind, where inside...or what about a portable one. jWE live in the Shuswap Area of BC.
Ron and Sandra
Old 05-22-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ron and Sandra, glad you found us. I can't be much help on your tour of Canada as we left Toronto in 1977. One of the local folks will be a long shortly and help you our, Eh.

Sorry could not resist it. The company I work for is headquartered in Calgary and we do hear a few Canadian accents.

Hope you enjoy the new travel accommodations.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #4

Hello Ron and Sandra and YES you did post in the correct spot. Very glad to have you with us.
I have been across this big country twice...and there's still much that I have not seen. If there's any questions you have, Please feel free to ask,as there's many fellow members here more than willing to help.
Do take as much time as you can to travel. Will you be travelling all of Atlantic Canada as well?
Your A/C....the portable unit sounds like a good thing. Soleus A/C makes a nice 8000BTU stand alone unit for around $400.00.HERE

If you send me your address, I'll be glad to send you a iRV2 sticker for your 5th wheel.

Stay in touch, and do enjoy your trip....I'm sure you'll love it......Brad

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The company I work for is headquartered in Calgary and we do hear a few Canadian accents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey Ken...As you know I spent Feb./Mar this year in Texas. The only accent I heard was from the Texans, who said I had an accent...

Old 05-22-2007, 08:17 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brad03ca:
Hello Ron and Sandra and YES you did post in the correct spot. Very glad to have you with us.
I have been across this big country twice...and there's still much that I have not seen. If there's any questions you have, Please feel free to ask,as there's many fellow members here more than willing to help.
Do take as much time as you can to travel. Will you be travelling all of Atlantic Canada as well?
Your A/C....the portable unit sounds like a good thing. Soleus A/C makes a nice 8000BTU stand alone unit for around $400.00.HERE

If you send me your address, I'll be glad to send you a iRV2 sticker for your 5th wheel.

Stay in touch, and do enjoy your trip....I'm sure you'll love it......Brad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Brad..how do I send you my address without putting it on the forum..not sure that I want to share it with everyone yet..a little nervous about the net. We would love to have the sticker. And yes we are doing Atlantic Canada..and I just reserved our ferry trip from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland..pretty expensive. But we want to see all that we can.
Sandra and Ron. Ps..thank you for the tip on the AC. will check it out soon.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:50 AM   #7

Hi R&S, look up at the very top of this forum, I mean IRV2. Watch that.

Now what you do is you run your mouse over Brad's name to the left. Click on that and it will lead to a link to send a private message. & pm me too. I have something on cross country travel.

My best tip is with google: www.google.ca, click on the circle for pages from Canada Use search term "name of province & tourism" this will get you the provincial site for every province. In my opinion (IMO) these are the best sources of information anywhere. & call them via 800# to get their print guide. I say call because then you can tell them your special interests. I always ask about hiking.

You can do this for all kinds of subjects: provincial parks, campgrounds in and pick an association of private cg owners.

Things to see, what do you like? Give us some clue what to tell you about.

Now a little promo: Photos by Diann of RobandDi They are en route here now, this being an odd year and they go east on the odd year.

Photos by Ron aka Clattertruck Clatttertruck and crew have been to many places.

Oh yes, look for links in our signatures. A lot of us have photo albums, etc.

Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:02 AM   #8

Morning Ron and Sandra...as Little Kopit said,click on my name over the moose, go to my profile page, and either PM(personal message)or send me an e-mail using my e-mail address.

As far as cross country travel help is concerned, between LK and the rest of us...your in very good hands....Brad

Old 05-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #9

\

Thank you for your response Little Kopit..I checked out some of the phtos from the link to the Chatter truck person..some awesome phtos of NL..can't wait to see the real thing..was just wondering what month he was there..and we are pretty well interested in most things...museums, art, history, scenery, festivals, street entertainment..etc. We are traveling with a 15 year old..so that makes us think harder..lol.
Sandra and Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Little Kopit:
Hi R&S, look up at the very top of this forum, I mean IRV2. Watch that.

Now what you do is you run your mouse over Brad's name to the left. Click on that and it will lead to a link to send a private message. & pm me too. I have something on cross country travel.

My best tip is with google: www.google.ca, click on the circle for pages from Canada Use search term "name of province & tourism" this will get you the provincial site for every province. In my opinion (IMO) these are the best sources of information anywhere. & call them via 800# to get their print guide. I say call because then you can tell them your special interests. I always ask about hiking.

You can do this for all kinds of subjects: provincial parks, campgrounds in and pick an association of private cg owners.

Things to see, what do you like? Give us some clue what to tell you about.

Now a little promo: Photos by Diann of RobandDi They are en route here now, this being an odd year and they go east on the odd year.

Photos by Ron aka Clattertruck Clatttertruck and crew have been to many places.

Oh yes, look for links in our signatures. A lot of us have photo albums, etc.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-24-2007, 12:18 AM   #10

Ah! Ron and Sandra, get set to be truely awed.

NL looks beautiful in pictures, but no picture can do it "justice". One must personally experiance NL. All the events you like are pretty much happening throughout the summer. Seems most towns and cities have something going on. Gros Morne, Trinity

If you can be in St. John's in early July you will see the most awesome gathering of whales you can imagine. Go a few miles south to Bay Bulls,Gatherall's catch a whale watching tour and also see the Witless Bay Ecological Reserve bird sanctuary.

Pippy Parkis a city owned and operated park in St.John's that is the best bet for your stay in St. John's. Reserve EARLY!

The north and east shores..Twillingate, Bonivista, Bay de Verde probably offer the best opportunity to see ice bergs Puffins etc.

I have only scratched the surface of things to do here. If I can help in any other way, let me know...

Old 05-24-2007, 12:47 AM   #11

Morning R&S,

First, it's Clattertruck. You see Ron's grandaughter called it that. It's one of those very noisy diesels. I know via posts and emails that Ron usually is a man of few words. They were here in late August and early September. I must say, as nice as the weather usually is in September (in fact all of Atlantic Canada) in NL, many campgrounds are closed. But you can still boondock (gravel pit camp).

Yes, Brad has spent a good bit of time here. I'm very strongly a west coast person.

But I don't know where you can go to see a site like Cape St. Mary's Bird Sanctuary They are huge rocks off the big island. When I was there they had about 12,000 birds living on them - at a low population time of the year.

NL Tourism has a build your own feature, which, I've been told, has the best information around.

All across Canada are lots of little museums. IMO, these are often the best. They have been put together by people who really know their area, all volunteers. Most of the time these are staffed by students. You may have noticed that there has been a schmoz of a snafu in getting all of them open and students in place. For me, the students are telling you about 'their' home and that is nicer than many a harried full time tour guide.

In New Brunswick, Kings Landing, Acadain Village. In Saint John, Saint John City Market. For your 15 year old, Mactaquac Provincial Park. For all of you Fundy tides.

In Nova Scotia, Tidal Bore, 5 Islands PP, Historical Halifax, including historic properties, the Ovens, Luneburg - Bluenose II, Cape Breton Island, do Cabot Trail going.* Gas up at Rod's One Stop. Food at Farmer's Daughter. Fortress with living exhibit at Louisbourg.

PEI, Cavendish Beach for your 15 year old, Orwell Corner, more living history. & nice little one off private museum in Murray Harbour. Run by a Robertston, I think. Charlottetown. Saturday, Charlottetown Farmer's Market (the best of all of these) Theatre, including Anne.

NL - *well, in spite of living about 6 years in Yarmouth, I did not head for the Cabot Trail until 1995, after several week long times at Gros Morne National Park. There is no comparison. Gros Morne is what Cape Breton Highlands NP could have been, but they bought everyone out. At Gros Morne, visit both Discovery Center and the Visitor's center, maybe one going North and the other coming back. There are many options for whale watching fjord boat tours, meals, etc. offered by private efforts. Western Brook and Trout River Pond Tours are both excellent. Both Woody Point and Cow Head have good entertainment. Gros Morne Theatre Festival is in Cow Head.

L'anse aux Meadows is a World Heritage Viking Site. Norstead is a Viking Village run by local tourism organizations.

& I've only brushed the surface.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:25 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brad03ca:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The company I work for is headquartered in Calgary and we do hear a few Canadian accents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey Ken...As you know I spent Feb./Mar this year in Texas. The only accent I heard was from the Texans, who said I had an accent... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brad....two "English" speaking countries separated by a common language.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:39 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
Hey Ken...As you know I spent Feb./Mar this year in Texas. The only accent I heard was from the Texans, who said I had an accent... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brad....two "English" speaking countries separated by a common language.

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, at least 5 countries, if you count the UK as 1 country. Countries are

Australia
Canada
New Zealand
United Kingdom
United States

Old 05-24-2007, 05:33 AM   #14

Wow..that is some information...I am making a travel itinary (sp)..and will add your info to it..we certainly will be stopping at most of your suggested places..we love the little museums as well...hre in Salmon Arm ..we have one called Haney Village...and it is run by mostly volunteers. Our 15 year old loves history..and will be looking forward to seeing the viking village etc.
Thank you for replying.
Where do you live? I have never been further than Alberta in Canada..so am excited about seeing God's Creation in our Beautiful country.
sandra

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Little Kopit:
Morning R&S,

First, it's Clattertruck. You see Ron's grandaughter called it that. It's one of those very noisy diesels. I know via posts and emails that Ron usually is a man of few words. They were here in late August and early September. I must say, as nice as the weather usually is in September (in fact all of Atlantic Canada) in NL, many campgrounds are closed. But you can still boondock (gravel pit camp).

Yes, Brad has spent a good bit of time here. I'm very strongly a west coast person.

But I don't know where you can go to see a site like Cape St. Mary's Bird Sanctuary They are huge rocks off the big island. When I was there they had about 12,000 birds living on them - at a low population time of the year.

NL Tourism has a build your own feature, which, I've been told, has the best information around.

All across Canada are lots of little museums. IMO, these are often the best. They have been put together by people who really know their area, all volunteers. Most of the time these are staffed by students. You may have noticed that there has been a schmoz of a snafu in getting all of them open and students in place. For me, the students are telling you about 'their' home and that is nicer than many a harried full time tour guide.

In New Brunswick, Kings Landing, Acadain Village. In Saint John, Saint John City Market. For your 15 year old, Mactaquac Provincial Park. For all of you Fundy tides.

In Nova Scotia, Tidal Bore, 5 Islands PP, Historical Halifax, including historic properties, the Ovens, Luneburg - Bluenose II, Cape Breton Island, do Cabot Trail going.* Gas up at Rod's One Stop. Food at Farmer's Daughter. Fortress with living exhibit at Louisbourg.

PEI, Cavendish Beach for your 15 year old, Orwell Corner, more living history. & nice little one off private museum in Murray Harbour. Run by a Robertston, I think. Charlottetown. Saturday, Charlottetown Farmer's Market (the best of all of these) Theatre, including Anne.

NL - *well, in spite of living about 6 years in Yarmouth, I did not head for the Cabot Trail until 1995, after several week long times at Gros Morne National Park. There is no comparison. Gros Morne is what Cape Breton Highlands NP could have been, but they bought everyone out. At Gros Morne, visit both Discovery Center and the Visitor's center, maybe one going North and the other coming back. There are many options for whale watching fjord boat tours, meals, etc. offered by private efforts. Western Brook and Trout River Pond Tours are both excellent. Both Woody Point and Cow Head have good entertainment. Gros Morne Theatre Festival is in Cow Head.

L'anse aux Meadows is a World Heritage Viking Site. Norstead is a Viking Village run by local tourism organizations.

& I've only brushed the surface.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>