Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:28 AM   #29

Brad, Did you see Driver's post in oil and gas directed to our neighbor?

If the team here has been at work or our neighbor has woken up to the world on his/her own, that's positive IMHO.

Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> (If asked, would you know how to arrange for someone to visit LG2 or one of it's cousins?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are tours of LG2 but they are in French. English tours can be arranged if you call ahead of you arrival.

In 2001 we drove up the James Bay Road about 400 km north of Matagami. We had arranged for a float plane to meet us and we flew in to a lake named Pukuch Lake for a week of fishing.

I learned of the LG2 tours when doing research ofr our trip. We did not drive to Radisson so did not take the tour.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
After it was brought to my attention that some beef is being allowed in, contrary to what I had been reading on this forum, I deleted the posts.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:26 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Brad, Did you see Driver's post in oil and gas directed to our neighbor? If the team here has been at work or our neighbor has woken up to the world on his/her own, that's positive IMHO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FYI, Driver and I are planning a little get-together later this month. Possibly you would like to join us!

Old 10-05-2005, 01:26 PM   #33

Tom, I have a suggestion for you.

The next time you come to this country, don't ignore it by flying. Drive to your destination by 2-lane roads, ones that go through every little center, every bit of farm land, every rural forest and moose brush or blueberry hill and dale. Do this at Sunday afternoon drive speeds, if you can safely do so.

& while you're at this, keep the radio on to Canadian stations. All local radio stations can help give you a feel for a place. Just driving with you eyes 'on receive' will help you see places more clearly. After all, this country was settled via little burgs, hamlets and farms, just as yours was. You should do this in more than one province.

'Tis true I'm a CBC radio fan. One can gain a lot from CBC, but local would be best.

It might give you a starter to see where a lot of here are coming from. You won't see in that time how Newfoundland is distinct from the rest of Atlantic Canada, and since you're in Pennsyslvania, chances are you'd see some of eastern Canada. & the western outlook is quite different, but it would be a start.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:07 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Tom, I have a suggestion for you.

The next time you come to this country, don't ignore it by flying. Drive to your destination by 2-lane roads, ones that go through every little center, every bit of farm land, every rural forest and moose brush or blueberry hill and dale. Do this at Sunday afternoon drive speeds, if you can safely do so.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fly in?? I always drive in. A month ago I made my 27th fishing trip to Canada, not counting the one in 1958 when I was 13. Drive up and then fly in on a float plane. Although I really like to ride the Canadian trains. I like the local apssenger trains but many were dropped. And I've been on many a Canadian back road.

I'm going to be watching Sidney Crosby & Mario Lemieux tonight beat the NJ Devils. I'm at my home in Pittsburgh.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:31 PM   #35

Mind sharing your favorite fishing spots Tom.
I personally couldn't catch fish, even if it floated down river in a High Liner box, already cleaned wrapped and fast frozen.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #36

Yes, there are tours at LG-2, Tom is right. You need to be a group though, however if you show up when a tour bus is present, you can always get in with them. The latest one is Eastman or Eastmain, and it is a whopper! No tours yet as it is under construction.

Ah yes. The CAA organizes tours there, six days something like that. Druther drive personally, w/fishpole (naturally).

https://coldjosh.nstemp.com/index.html
2Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:09 AM   #37

More on the beef issue: We recently crossed over at Sarnia/Port Huron and were asked about beef products, we admitted to a "sheppards pie" frozen dinner and were promptly ordered to secondary inspection whereupon the offending frozen pie was removed. The remainder of the inspection went off without a hitch with no other questions being asked and a final "have a nice trip".

I wish to state that the annoyance my wife and I are subjected to upon crossing to the USofA is a pittance compared to the regulatory "crap"
we have experienced in our years of overseas travel. It was not unusual upon travelling with a rental car in northern Ireland to have armed soldiers empty your car while you stood against a hedgerow with a couple of nervous looking soldiers watching you with rifles at the "ready" position.

Flying into and out of Jamaica not too many years ago mean't having some small U.S. bills in your pocket to grease the palms of armed airport security guys who didn't even bat an eye when they extended their hands palms up.

In short: we'll spend our remaining years travelling the North American continent and seeing all the wonderful sights and meeting like-minded people without ever spending another "lemming-mode" minute in an airport to fly to some godforsaken corner of the earth where flush toilets are a luxury and if that means accommodating a couple of seemingly childish or frivolous rules; so be it!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:16 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
All US citizen will be required to have a passport when entering and exiting Canada and Mexico starting in 2007.

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases. The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

December 31, 2006 – Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

December 31, 2007 – Passport required for all land border crossings, as well as air and sea travel.

Oh for the good old days!

Old 10-12-2005, 11:26 AM   #39

Individual travellers are still underpriviledged.

Incident Report by next door neighbors

pity.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #40

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">US citizen will be required to have a passport when entering and exiting Canada and Mexico starting in 2007. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

H-mmmmmmmmmm, wondering here if it will be reciprocal in that all Canadians and Mexicans will need a passport also to enter the States. If so, that will put the Nogales Wal-Mart out of business. They have buses running from the W-M to the border and back on a very regular basis.

Am leaving Fri. for the states...no meat, no fruit and no alcohol (cheaper down there anyway).

My daughter lived in a border town and would go to Vermont once or twice a week and she got caught with an apple. The man told her that she was not allowe to bring the apple across. My daughter whipped out her papers testifying that she is a Type-1 insulino-dependant diabetic and informed him that the apple was not a fruit but a medication. He told her to buy another one further down the road. She told him that if she had an insulin reaction before she could get to a store that she had taken his name, told him what she was going to do and a few days later she crossed again, same guy, and she told him that she had an apple...and he let her go through.

https://coldjosh.nstemp.com/index.html
2Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #41

There was much talk awhile back that the U.S. wanted Canucks to have passports by Jan. 06 But then some officials discovered that bureaucracy takes a little longer. So, the project is on hold.

What I really need to do is go unearth my birth certificate, maybe my high school diploma,......
#1 was issued by the State of NC, #2 was issued in PA, next two in D.C., after that all Canadian.

Oh LOL, it just sunk in. Guy Fawkes Day is the date of my becoming officially a Canadian resident. U.S. officials probably wouldn't have a clue about Guy Fawkes Day.

I've been a dual since the year dot. One parent of each.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:33 PM   #42

..Good old guy fawkes night.....mother would tell me about his night... i never made it back for one..

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote