Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2005, 05:11 PM   #1

Crossed from NB to Maine a few weeks ago and they asked about beef. Took our frozen Steaks but either missed or didn't feel in the mood for just plain homemade hamburger patties sitting next to the steaks.

Our special dinner that night was guess what!!!!

Ever eaten hamburg patties with cauliflower and Hollandaise sauce and sweet potato.
gordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2005, 05:11 PM   #2

Crossed from NB to Maine a few weeks ago and they asked about beef. Took our frozen Steaks but either missed or didn't feel in the mood for just plain homemade hamburger patties sitting next to the steaks.

Our special dinner that night was guess what!!!!

Ever eaten hamburg patties with cauliflower and Hollandaise sauce and sweet potato.
gordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 05:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I was hoping they were getting over this beef thing by now. We go south in 3 months guess we will still have to be careful with the beef issue.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:17 PM   #4

Thanks Gordon.

I can't say I'm surprised. We haven't had any reports that officially say the regulations have changed. Like any other product, customs officers can still choose to enforce that regulation on a periodic basis.

They don't always ask you about fruit, root vegetables, fire wood, pet food, but they can. Earlier in the year all kinds of people were saying you don't have to worry about dog food, but I, like an unbroken record, maintained 'yes, you do'. Well, I got that question and I was ready for it.

Beef or poultry or an othe meat is just the same.

Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:19 AM   #5

It's tricky all right. The other week as we crossed at Lacolle, to access the I-87, we had no problem, BUT as soon as they had a stall free, they were searching vehicules.

Rule of the thumb.......bring nothing which cannot be grown in Canada (with proof), and bring no meat. We had blueberries and the customs fellow said it was all right ''because they are in season'', which leads me to believe that bringing blueberries into the States in January is a no-no.

True that the Lacolle crossing is the toughest one I have seen yet, and I do my best to avoid it but sometimes it is not feasible as gas prices do not allow me to make a 30 km. detour to eliminate a possible hassle.

However they never ask us if we are bringing money!

https://coldjosh.nstemp.com/index.html
2Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 03:45 AM   #6

The last time I got the nod for a thorough search I was on my way south to 'buy' a camper. So, it may not have just been that I was the number in rota.

I've said many a time, the fact that I had done my research showed in my answers. When they raised the issue of money, my questions genuinely seeking to fill a hole in my border crossing research, definitely helped me get the 'have a good day' sooner. I hadn't let their questions fluster me. The cusoms officer said what they are really looking for is a clue that the person might be involved in drugs or other contriband. Line of Credit, etc. is usually a sign of ordinary Joe or Jill wanting to spend money the way they want it spent.

That was at Sault Ste. Marie, MI, BTW. IMHO larger stations have more staff and more options to conduct different approaches.

Re. blueberries, as I understand it, the thing with fruit or firewood is that each may be carrying insects. Chances are blueberries are less like to carry insects than oranges.

Old 10-02-2005, 05:30 AM   #7

Tom, I'm just gullible enough to reply.

You may or may not be baiting, but the way your post is worded, I would take it you believe there are more diseased cattle in Canada than in the U.S.

Sorry, IMHO, it's your cattle industry that is holding up the renewal of trade in this commodity between our two countries. We see much too much of some U.S. industry saying, ooooooooh those Canadians aren't doing it our way, we can't compete, or they're interferring in our profits.

Scientists have long told a different story. & you know, you have to have heard that the wasting disease, which is rather like 'mad cow', has been found in a wild bovine in the south west U.S. Just announced this weekend!!!!

Well, from some things I've read/heard we're exploring new markets and making new contacts.

Old 10-02-2005, 06:27 AM   #8

I've seen these "baiting" types of responses on other forums but not very often here. Somewhat disappointing.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:36 AM   #9

So, Tom, If I may be baiting too, just what does your media tell you about why those regulations are still in effect. Who's been putting things to open the borders in the courts? Who's been putting up objections to opening the borders?

How's about your doing a nice little check on that, eh?

Ah, and how many cases of mad cow have been reported in the states? Do you know?

What media do you pay attention to?

If you think I sound like I don't think you know, you'd be right.

Sorry

Old 10-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #10

It would behoove you to pay attention to that which is most relevant to the regulation's very existence. The lobby of the U.S. cattle industry has everything to do with it.

FWIW, the total incidence report of confirmed mad cow cases in both countries is about equal or maybe one more in the U.S. than in Canada.

What made you start your attack anyway?

?
Old 10-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #11

So, now you know that we think all that regulation is sour grapes by the industry and certain political forces. Appearances may have created a reason to put it there, but not to keep it there.

It's still hard to believe you know so little.

On edit: Next spring and summer you should read all the posts by U.S. residents at rv.net re. bringing all kinds of food, especially meat into Canada. You just wouldn't believe the number of people who think their 'store' has the only good food in the world. People get rather bored with me saying: 'shopping is part of the travel experience'. Nobody has a patent on virtue, least of all reisidents that country south of the border.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:46 AM   #12

If I bring a roastbeef sandwich across the border and get caught, that is my problem, not yours.........

https://coldjosh.nstemp.com/index.html
2Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:51 AM   #13

Claiming unawareness of what is regularly in the news, yes, I cannot but be sceptical.

Yes, I am showing that I doubt your word. Someone who knows how to find regulations, but is saying he doesn't know what's regularly in the news. That just doesn't make sense.

?
Old 10-02-2005, 12:22 PM   #14

Members, members....just back from my last weekend out. Glad I popped in to see your all having nice friendly conversation How have we all been?

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote