RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:13 PM   #15

I use Flying J or Pilot whenever I can. Both Canada and the USA seem to be the same.
They are mostly set up to accommodate Motor Homes quite nicely
Stan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Loney View Post
It's much more difficult in Ontario to find places that will fill MH tanks. Some of the places that refill the cylinders (5, 20, 30 lbs etc) will NOT fill MH tanks. In my area, Simcoe County north of Toronto, there are only 2 places that will do MHs, even the Toronto area MH dealers and rental place come up here.
Licensing, technician certification and safety regulations are the big reasons.

Best for you is to check with your MH dealer or a place that rents RVs and ask them if they do it or where they get them filled.

The dealer closest to us, have two fill stations on there tank, one has the connection for the MH and it is metered, pay for what you actually get. The other fills the cylinder to maximum allowable weight and charges a flat rate per cylinder size. can be expensive. I pay an average of $20 to fill the 60lb tank on the MH (metered). The flat rate cost for my 5lb cylinder is $17.

Ken
I'm in the Eastern GTA. Would you mind sharing the name and address of the places you mentioned? Thank you!

Old 07-21-2020, 08:20 PM   #17

I have found in Canada that a lot of propane refill stations do not fill stationary propane tanks in motorhomes. I would first check were in your location that fills cars with propane. They will have a dispenser like that of a gas station but fills propane. Equally if you are travelling for a period of time away from home you will need to research ahead of time as to were you can get propane. Some provinces like Newfoundland, you can find yourself driving for hours to get a fill. It is not the same in the USA as there are plenty of propane stations around.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchu View Post
I'm in the Eastern GTA. Would you mind sharing the name and address of the places you mentioned? Thank you!

For the MH tank, I go to an Esso gas stn on Hy 9, about 1 km west of Hy 27, Schomberg. When the guage on the MH (18 gallon tank) reads less than 1/4 or once a year before winterizing I fill, cost is about $20-$25, never remember how much they put in. Same station also fill cylinders for a flat rate regardless of how much they put in. with taxes, my 1 gallon/5 lb cylinder cost close to $17. ouch.
For the cylinders I go to Costco in Barrie, they fill by weight and charge only for the amount they put in. The 5lb cylinder it took in was totally empty and it only cost $2.18 for the actual 5lb of propane. The Barrie Costco is the only one that I have found that sell by the amount you get. Other Costco s that sell propane go by the flat rate $5 for the small cylinder and $10 for the standard 20lb.
None of the Costco's in the GTA will fill a MH tank.
Call your closest Costco and ask if sell metered propane or is it by a flat rate.
Ken
5 lb of propane $17 or $2.18 shop around.
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
There are other places, like RV parks, etc. but I keep my eye on the price of propane. I've filled up once in three years.
And your worried about the price !!
Old 07-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #20

Hi Uchu, I just thought of another place closer to you. It is Sparlings Propane just south of Brechin on highway 12, beside Shane Micheals RV. The entrance is on a side road but quite visible from the highway. I'm not sure if they do MH tanks or not, call first, but they do everything else, home systems etc. They do recertify cylinders, thats where I had my 5 pounder done.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Loney View Post
Hi Uchu, I just thought of another place closer to you. It is Sparlings Propane just south of Brechin on highway 12, beside Shane Micheals RV. The entrance is on a side road but quite visible from the highway. I'm not sure if they do MH tanks or not, call first, but they do everything else, home systems etc. They do recertify cylinders, thats where I had my 5 pounder done.

Ken
Thank you very much for the suggestion and the previous info as well. I think I've seen the place you are referring to. I'll call them to find out.

uchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane