Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Canada Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #1

Winter camping in Alberta

Hello,
I am planning a week long trip beginning of November in Alberta. This is my first time RVing with family. I have rented a RV with winter package so I think I am covered for the weather but I am trying to book a campground and all the national and provincial parks are closing down for the season. Please advice on what options I may have? I would really like to reserve a place so that I am not hunting for a place to park with kids.
Appreciate the help.

Cheers

JP
jph1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 07:04 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

I hope you are aware of the border crossing restrictions for US folks going to Canada or Canadians going to the US. Check it out at https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...diens-eng.html
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:50 PM   #3

Most rv parks will be closed in winter. The reason is that water lines and the tanks both will freeze up.
I’m always a little dubious when I hear an rv is winter ready - especially when it’s a rental. Keep in mind that rv’s do not handle well in snow.
Personally, I would think a November trip isn’t the best idea, and it would be better to wait until the Spring. Having said that, Tunnel Mountain Village II Campground in Banff is open year round. I’ve never stayed there, so I can’t speak to what services are available in winter.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've stayed at Tunnel Mountain before, in February, as a base of operations for skiing. They have 50amp hookups, so we took a bunch of electric heaters along, since the furnace can't keep up.
I live in Alberta, and we are already seeing lows of -10C. So all campgrounds will have water shut off

Tunnel Mtn also has bus service into the town of Banff, so you can go to restaurants,etc if you want.

Another option in the Kananaskis area is Mt Kidd (mtkiddrv.com). Again, no water, but 50A service. Open year round, and can book on their site. Spotty cell coverage here, right in the mountains....
Old 10-18-2020, 03:17 AM   #5

As said above. We used Tunnel Mountain in March the first time we got our RV in 1999 - It was Brrrrrr cold, so bring plenty of warm clothes. Might have to carry on water than put in fresh water tank and run through lines (ask the rental company policy on winter camping).

Assuming you either live in Canada (don't have to isolate 14 days or ..... you are flying in and will if they let you????).

Please provide more detail where you are from, citizenship/resident status who you are renting from etc so maybe locals can guide you better.

I love camping in Alberta in the winter for odd days here and there as long as there's a hot tub nearby, but our unit remains winterised just pour extra antifreeze into the grey and black tanks and carry on board water trying not to put any down sinks if we can avoid it, so usually only have to deal with the black when finished. Check out Rocky Mountain House area as well, we stayed at a CG there in January many years ago (sorry can't remember name).
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:25 AM   #6

The OP is from Calgary.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:03 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
Most rv parks will be closed in winter. The reason is that water lines and the tanks both will freeze up.
I’m always a little dubious when I hear an rv is winter ready - especially when it’s a rental. Keep in mind that rv’s do not handle well in snow.
Personally, I would think a November trip isn’t the best idea, and it would be better to wait until the Spring. Having said that, Tunnel Mountain Village II Campground in Banff is open year round. I’ve never stayed there, so I can’t speak to what services are available in winter.
I agree, my Rockwood has tank heaters and all the whistles and bells for winter camping but I am not comfortable camping in the winter.
One failure and big damages.
We camp in the winter in a wall tent!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #8

Here`s an article I just came across re winter camping.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/owne...HPDHP#image=17
Flyboy757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:52 PM   #9

Winter Camping

I think that the Renovated Whistlers campground in Jasper might be open.
dougthervguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph1022 View Post
Hello,
I am planning a week long trip beginning of November in Alberta. This is my first time RVing with family. I have rented a RV with winter package so I think I am covered for the weather but I am trying to book a campground and all the national and provincial parks are closing down for the season. Please advice on what options I may have? I would really like to reserve a place so that I am not hunting for a place to park with kids.
Appreciate the help.

Cheers

JP
get a copy of Backroad mapbooks Alberta.if there's a place to camp,it'll be in there.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #11

There are a few provincial parks that are open throughout the winter as well such as Crimson lake just west of Rocky Mountain house, Mc Clean creek west of Bragg creek and Beauvis Lake in the south near Pincher Creek.
But check out Reserve Alberta and there are more.
Coldfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:45 PM   #12

OK folks , the OP posted his question over a year ago , was on the site 3 hours and hasn't been back .
Another new member re-opened it this month, and hasn't been back .

I don't believe anymore discussion is required .

Just my rant of the day .

Tags
camping, winter