Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A Great Sacramento Area RV Body Guy

Last month we took the Outlaw to Bodega Bay for the weekend. A tweaker with no insurance in an old Honda sideswiped our otherwise perfect RV. I had the police come out and make a report and his quote to me was "I know this woman and have dealt with her in the past, she has no money, just a drug problem". On a side note it amazed me is that he let her drive off without insurance, I would have liked to see her car towed but that isn't my call I guess.

The damage looked minor so I figured if the repair wasn't too expensive I would just have it fixed myself instead of dealing with an insurance claim and/or obviously never getting money from the woman. I have a friend here in town that has been selling used motorhomes for about 20 years and recommended a guy named Jody that has a mobile repair called Bumpers, Dents and Scratches. He said they will come right to my house and do great work. As it turns out the guy was great, did everything including fiberglass and paint in about 6 hours and my RV looks perfect. I thought I should pass this along his info for anyone that might need something in our area. His number is 916-257-8137 and again his name is Jody.

Here are some photos...
This is just after being hit:

And a few of the repair progress:

And the completed results:
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Last month we took the Outlaw to Bodega Bay for the weekend. A tweaker with no insurance in an old Honda sideswiped our otherwise perfect RV. I had the police come out and make a report and his quote to me was "I know this woman and have dealt with her in the past, she has no money, just a drug problem". On a side note it amazed me is that he let her drive off without insurance, I would have liked to see her car towed but that isn't my call I guess.
That was your call. You should of challenged the officer. If you have his badge number, turn him in. Did the officer bother to cite her? It is against CA State law to let her drive. If the car was borrowed and not her's, then the owner was liable for the damage. Now she is able to hit someone else and maybe cause a death.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
That was your call. You should of challenged the officer. If you have his badge number, turn him in. Did the officer bother to cite her? It is against CA State law to let her drive. If the car was borrowed and not her's, then the owner was liable for the damage. Now she is able to hit someone else and maybe cause a death.
To clarify the details on this and to agree with you I should have pressed it farther here is some info. This was a Petaluma PD on a motor patrol. After dealing with the accident report I asked him if he was going to give her a citation and he said "I didn't actually see her drive". I said "but she admitted to driving". I was kinda stunned by the whole deal. After this he goes over and talks to her and then she walks away from her car and gets on her phone. He gets on his motorcycle and drives off. She walked around and talked on her phone for the next five minutes while we walked our dogs for a potty break and then loaded up to leave.
All I can say is that it would appear he had told her that he doesn't want to see her driving or he will have to cite her. We really wanted to get on to our destination as it getting late and we very hungry being over an hour dealing with this. Now that you have mentioned what should have occurred and made me think about it more I will call the PD and make a report.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #4

It amazes me when I hear of situations like this ( a known uninsured motorist being allowed to drive from the scene of an accident). Hopefully she didn't drive away and hit a pedestrian. Having been in the insurance field for 25 plus years, I have no sympathy for these individuals. Fortunately, your damage was minor and your costs were (hopefully) minimal.
PapaBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #5

Was there a report taken? If so call the agency and inquire about the status of the investigation especially if there is an independent witness. Many times citations are written by a follow up investigator. You can ask questions about the policies regarding uninsured motorists involved in traffic accidents. Many agencies have had to back off on past policies of impounding vehicles for insurance or registration violations due to political pressure.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scott,
We all have 20/20 hindsight, but at least you got a police report and had appropriate coverage to get a quality repair. You were smart to play it cool, in my opinion.

And, be glad that you even had a police response. In many urban areas, especially in "No Fault" states like in California, Florida, New York, and many others, the police will not respond to a vehicle collision unless there is an injury.
To see more about No Fault states, see: No Fault States - Auto Insurance And Car Accidents at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Is it right that the other drivers car was not towed - No. But as citizens, we cannot dispute police action at the scene...or risk obstruction charges. And like suggested above, you can make contact with the L/E agency and follow-up...maybe making a complaint.

Congrats getting your baby fixed so well. Looks great!

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:30 AM   #7

scott your wrong at least on ny state. you leave the scene of an accident here before a police rport your going to jail for leaving the scene of an accident, just thought you should know that for what it is worth safe travels
coolhand108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand108 View Post
scott your wrong at least on ny state. you leave the scene of an accident here before a police rport your going to jail for leaving the scene of an accident, just thought you should know that for what it is worth safe travels
What do you mean I am wrong . I had a report taken and left after the police officer left, not sure what you are saying???
Old 02-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand108 View Post
This poster is right about leaving the scene before L/E response - big NO-NO. No one was suggesting that.

BUT - If you call the cops and they tell you they are not responding - you would simply exchange insurance and contact info and leave. This is what No-Fault laws are all about.

And, Scott was the OP. I posted about police situations where police are NOT responding.

In the OP's case the other party had no insurance So lucky for him, the Petaluma PD came and took a report. Why the officer did not detain the other driver and tow that car is what can't be explained. The "I didn't see her drive" part is laughable - How would the policeman answer the question, "How did the BIG 'OL RV get hit?"

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:56 PM   #10

I drive a 22 yr old nicely kept class A and if a druggy hit me and the cop drove off , I would have made sure that car could not drive again.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote