Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #1

Colorado Springs fire

I have family and friends in the Colorado Springs Black Forest area. My sister, who lives 3 miles West of there, near Flying Horse CC, has been evacuated to my niece's (her daughter's) home in Monument and I have not heard from my daughter who lives in Peyton, a couple of miles East of the fires. Much help is needed there, people have been evacuated from their homes, pets and horses have been turned loose and even some of the designated safe shelters are in danger from smoke or fire. Over 300 homes are gone as of today (6/13). We are too far away to help, but there may be others who can assist in some way, maybe with a place to park an RV or keep livestock or pets. Here is a facebook link for those who "facebook":

https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoBla...ocation=stream

Thanks and prayers for those involved in this fire.

Sorry, when I paste links, they don't work directly, you'll have to copy and paste it into your URL bar.... not sure how to fix that!
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #2

Lives and homes lost , and now the possibility of the cause being arson.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I feel for the people who lost property in the fires. Rebuilding in the same area should require that houses be made of fire proof materials. I remember a fire a few years ago near Helena, Montana where the fire chief refused to fight the fires near homes that had allowed brush and trees near the buildings. He felt it wasn't worth his fireman's lives to save people who didn't know better after repeated warnings. It's similar to folks who build near ocean shore lines or in flood plains and want our help when water comes into their homes. Colorado Springs has grown up into the forested foothills and people built homes that look nice but had cedar shake roofs and other features that encouraged fire. We all need to learn to live with nature and not think 'it won't happen here.'

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some of those Black Forest homes have been there for decades, and some of the folks in those homes for decades. But many folks can't afford the tens of thousands of dollars for new roofs or de-forestation that would be required to make a house 'fireproof'

I just cannot imagine what it is like to lose one's home in a flash like that, not to mention the horror of loss of life.

Additionally, I have also heard reports of arson being the possible cause for the fire. How heartless, cruel and outright criminal can people get?

Sickening to the heart and soul. I pray for all those in Colorado that lost property, pets, life, or anything at all tangible in the terrible fires.

I certainly do hope as well that the new structures going up in those areas are more fireproof as well. The ashes left from burned structures don't have to have any deforestation now for sure.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #5

Interface fire; involving homes built into forested area ; in Kelowna B.C. 2003, 200+ homes destroyed . DW and I and neighbors in our subdivision evacuated; sometimes 1hr. warnings & then mandatory; for 3 weeks while a fire that started from a lightning strike burned from 20 miles away to within 1 1/2 miles of our home. Many of the homes that were destroyed were in a subdivision that had rules that required cedar shake roofs. At one stage there were 30,000 people evacuated.
The fire spread through an area the for years had seen no logging even though there was a infestation of pine beetle that had killed a large % of the trees. Three years before the fire I was at a meeting at which a forest management consultant told the regional district managers and those in the gallery that it was , basically " log it now or watch it burn " . A special interest group ( don't you just love those ) sprang into action and petitioned to have " No Logging Visible from Kelowna " and through their pressure, the City and Regional District , would not issue the permits required to remove the dead trees, they even turned down a proposal to horse log the area , that would have put no roads through the area.
Well after the fire there was an 18 mile slope visible from town totally blackened , the only good news was for real estate developers, no longer a need for an environmental impact study, 1/3rd of that slope is now covered with houses. As it turned out, it was logging that saved our home , as the fire moved over the ridge to an area not visible from town, into areas where the dead trees had been removed, with many logging roads where heavy equipment could access the blaze , containment came quickly. The special interest group has learned nothing and continues to try to keep the vista green , even with 3 more fires over the years in the area. Most of the homes were rebuilt with shake roofs , again nothing learned , even though my home was not damaged , fire insurance rates went up 50%.
The reason I'm relating this is to draw attention to the fact, that some times nothing is learned and nothing is done to prevent re-occurrence of these tragic events , and it is up to the individual to keep after neighbors & government, to get the knowledge to prevent where possible this kind of fire, and to have a set up around your home that makes it defendable if a fire of this type should happen in your area.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Skip, that is so sad to hear they went back and built new construction with shake roofs.

Oh my gosh I can't imagine the terror of that situation either....

Thank you for sharing this with us. It is very enlightening and relates some interesting events that I'm sure are repeated more often than naught.