Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #1

Death Valley to Bakersfield to ...

Hi,

I'm planning a trip for late spring 2017 and will be traveling from Death Valley out to the Bakersfield area. My intent is to then go to Sequioa, King's Canyon and then Yosemite National Parks/Forests.

My question is ... am I best to stay on Highways 99 or 65, when going to these National Parks, or go back over to 395 and approach the parks from this side of the mountains? I have the time to do some backtracking if 395 is better/more scenic. Photo of my RV is in my profile and is 20 feet long. Not concerned about tight/twisty/steep highways.

Doing a combination of dry camping/boondocking, private RV sites (full hook up) and staying at campgrounds within the National Parks.

Thanks,
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2016, 05:03 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Scuba,

I did that trip in March. For best results, leaving Death Valley, I would continue south 395 to highway 58, to Bakersfield, then up 99 to Sequioa, King's Canyon, then Fresno, highway 41 to Yosemite. The roads may not be open if you attempt to approach from the east. Regardless of the size of your rig, Hwy 58 top speed is 35 mph when not in twists and turns. 9% downgrades from the 395 turn off to Death Valley to the actual camp sites. Also leaving Death Valley, be prepared for about 15 miles of gravel road between the turn off and Trona, Ca. If hooking up to shore power at Death Valley MAKE SURE to use a surge protector. The camp sites have not been improved since they were developed. I had to unplug power just to sleep. Enjoy Badwater and Artist Alley while in the Valley.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
From what I read of your profile, I assume you are entering the park fro the east. As you leave on the west side, the best route is to turn south on the Trona Wildrose road just before Panamint Springs. This road is the dirt road referred to in a previous post. It was recently paved and is in good shape now. This way you will avoid the steep climb on Hwy 190. You will go through Ridgecrest on Hwy 178. Do not go south on 395 but continue on to Hwy 14. 14 will take you to Hwy 58 and then on to Bakersfield. The rest is easy.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I'd suggest going over the Sierras on CA 88 from US 395. Beautiful drive with lots of camping opportunities. Puts you a little north of Yosemite. Carson Pass would be the high point at 8,574.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltner View Post
Hey Scuba,

I did that trip in March. For best results, leaving Death Valley, I would continue south 395 to highway 58, to Bakersfield, then up 99 to Sequioa, King's Canyon, then Fresno, highway 41 to Yosemite. The roads may not be open if you attempt to approach from the east. Regardless of the size of your rig, Hwy 58 top speed is 35 mph when not in twists and turns. 9% downgrades from the 395 turn off to Death Valley to the actual camp sites. Also leaving Death Valley, be prepared for about 15 miles of gravel road between the turn off and Trona, Ca. If hooking up to shore power at Death Valley MAKE SURE to use a surge protector. The camp sites have not been improved since they were developed. I had to unplug power just to sleep. Enjoy Badwater and Artist Alley while in the Valley.
35mph on Hwy 58.....twists and turns???? Where? And the Trona/Wildrose road is now completely paved.

Keep in mind that during late spring, there can still be some weather conditions on the Sierras and some passes may still be closed. "IF" the passes are open here is my suggestion.

When heading west out of DV, stay on Hwy 190 (yes steep grades going over Towne's pass and also going over the Cerro Gordo range out of Panamint Springs) and it will connect with Hwy 136 going into Lone Pine. At Lone Pine, turn north on 395 and follow it up Owens Valley to Lee Vining. At that point take Hwy 120 over the Sierras to Yosemite Park. From there you can go south via several roads do Sequoia NP and then on South to Bakersfield.

Owens valley is called deepest valley as it has 14,000 foot mountains on both sides making it deeper than the Grand Canyon. The views of the eastern Sierras is absolutely breathtaking. Stop off at Mammoth Mountain and/or June Mountain for some additional view points, activities, and great restaurants.

If indeed the Sierra passes (especially if hyw 120) are closed, then you will be forced to go south on 395 down to 58 and over Tehachapi pass to Bakersfield and then north to Sequoia and Yosemite. You will not have to go to Lone Pine, but follow hwy 190 over to Olancha where you will connect with 395.

Or, once you are over Towne's pass and down in Panamint valley, you can cut off on the Trona/Wildrose road and by-pass the Cerro Gorgo range all together. The Trona road will turn into hwy 178 just south of Searles Valley (Trona) and will go over through Ridgecrest (my home) and then connect to 395.

Happy trails...

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote