Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #1

Can someone advise or comment on hwy 395 California. We will be coming down I-10 and then just west of Bartow CA we will transfer to hwy 395 to Reno...we are looking for some nice views of the sierras.

We have 36 foot class a (2002, vortec, allison 5 speed) towing a saturn vue.

1. Is 395 2 lane or 4 lane.
2. if 2 lane is it reasonably wide
3. on the summits; are the grads to the summits reasonable, for example 6% or less
4. fuel stations, are there some
5. would welcome any other comments.

Thanks, HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #2

Can someone advise or comment on hwy 395 California. We will be coming down I-10 and then just west of Bartow CA we will transfer to hwy 395 to Reno...we are looking for some nice views of the sierras.

We have 36 foot class a (2002, vortec, allison 5 speed) towing a saturn vue.

1. Is 395 2 lane or 4 lane.
2. if 2 lane is it reasonably wide
3. on the summits; are the grads to the summits reasonable, for example 6% or less
4. fuel stations, are there some
5. would welcome any other comments.

Thanks, HEMI
Old 05-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Its mostly 2 lane with 3 lane from time to time for passing. There is not much of a shoulder so the road is not real wide.
Grades are not that bad
Fuel is to be found at most the towns but it may be only one station per town.
I last drove it in 1990. So it could be different now.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:46 AM   #4

Lee and Fran, thanks...possibly the road has improved...I will wait for some more responses, thanks, Hemi
Old 05-12-2008, 05:16 AM   #5

Long grade Northbound out of Bishop, wide but try to do early because of Summer heat. Will be cooler at top. Hwy goes through most small towns, old and narrow roads, travel slow. All big rigs do it, watch for parkers pulling out. Common sense stuff. Small towns have something to offer, stop if you can. Don't miss Manzanar (sp) Japanese interment camp. Nice RV park in Lone Pine. Visit the Alabama Hills where many movies were shot. There is a website for Highway 395, you'll have to dig for the name. Climb Mt. Whitney?
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #6

See US 395 - Carson City to Bishop for some links, The AA roads link is out of date and should be U.S. 395.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #7

Thanks again; it all looks so good. I teach college geology (online)....the area looks like it is filled with very interesting geological features--I can send back images and descriptions to my online students, again, thanks, HEMI
Old 05-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #8

Watch your speed as you enter into some of these small towns. CHP and local LE is know to lurk at the borders with radar. Pay attention to the speed signs!
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
Kel

I think this is an excellent road for traveling. Between work and play I drive it often. Many of the former two-lane stretches are nice four-lane now. I believe the worst section is from I-15 at the top of the Cajon Pass to Hwy. 58 at Kramer Jct. Lots of impatient hot doggers that pass at bad spots. Once you get north of Ridgecrest the road becomes mostly 4 lane all the way to Lee Vining and even beyond that the road is good. Only two significant climbs and they're 4 lane so you can take your time. What few turns there are, are gentle so visibility is excellent. Sherwin Grade just north of Bishop is 10 miles long but not horribly steep. Conway summit north of Mono Lake is a little steeper but not quite as long. When you drive through the little towns just drive the EXACT speed limit and you won't have a problem. There are plenty of places to fuel, camp, and eat and the view of the Sierra is just indescribable. The Eastern Sierra Guide map from AAA has alot of info. Good luck, Kel.
Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #10

Falconman and Kel,

thanks....and we will watch our speed...actually we plan never to exceed 55.

Kel, great description, can't wait to be there.

My brother-in-law warned us not to gas up at Needles...I checked the cost...now about 4.80/gal at Needles...will gas up at Kingman and then hope to get well into 395 before gassing up again..and then gas up at Reno before heading to Woodland, CA, one of our destinations on this trip.

Again, thanks, HEMI
Old 05-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
Kel

It's not the over 55 that'll get you, it's the over 25 in Lone Pine or the over 35 in Big Pine, things like that. You'll see what I mean. As far as gas goes, I just drove home from the Owens Valley today and Pearsonville, which is just past Ridgecrest, was still just under $4. Coso Jct. was 4.19. Coso and Lone Pine are always high, Independence and Big Pine better, and Bishop a little better yet. Past Bishop they start up again and Bridgeport can shock you although I haven't been there since '06. Keep us posted, Kel.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I rode the 395 last September to Reno from the 15 onthe Harley. It's kinda boring in the desert but makes up for it once your outta Bishop. I wouldnt hesitate in my moho on it, and yes be wary of the speed limits in the little towns. VERY senic!
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #13

Thanks Kel and Mountainkowboy.

Yes, we will watch that speed limit!!

We have another option to get to 395. Go to Vegas (to see Hoover Dam)..then go north on 95 (in NV) until we hit a road to the left that will take us through Death Valley to connect to 395...would like to see Death Valley but is it too hot...what month does it really become too hot to travel across Death Valley...many thanks, HEMI
Old 05-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
Kel

Just driving through Death Valley is a visual experience. Going from Vegas to 395 is an awesome drive that includes some long hills going up and down. It's a twenty mile pull from Stovepipe Wells to the top of Towne Pass and 9 miles of 9% grade going down the backside only to start back up another set of mountains. I wouldn't wait till the middle of the day to do that. In the crossroads section I covered part of this trip to a guy that was going from Kingman to Death Valley. I'm sorry to keep posting but these are my favorite places and I love talking about them. Let me know if I can share more. Kel.